ADVERTISEMENT

Past Husker Coach News

It is crazy how ONCE YOU ARE IN this "frat" you are in for life...and you basically just change jobs every 4-5 years and sign another 6-7 figure deal.

It is crazy how ONCE YOU ARE IN this "frat" you are in for life...and you basically just change jobs every 4-5 years and sign another 6-7 figure deal.
Even after it's shown how shitty you are like Chinander. Defense improves right after you're fired under an interim? Check. Even more improvement when another coach is hired? Check.

Even after it's shown how shitty you are like Chinander. Defense improves right after you're fired under an interim? Check. Even more improvement when another coach is hired? Check.
I think coaches understand or are more forgiving. Because they have all had crap seasons/games too.

So once you are "in", you are in for life, or so it seems.

Funny considering how worried some were that he was going to get hired away the year before Frost got fired.
And even worse, some on this board were touting him as a possible replacement for Frost. I could never see that aside from the fact that players seemed to love him.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
I think coaches understand or are more forgiving. Because they have all had crap seasons/games too.

I listened to a former NFL head coach talk about why fired coordinators keep getting rehired as coordinators. It might have been Jimmie Johnson. His comment was that calling plays is hard and not everyone can call plays for the offense or defense. There’s definitely some knack for it but it doesn’t explain Matt Canada continuing to get jobs as an OC.

Most head coaches aren’t big risk takers when they hire assistants so they hire known commodities. Rhule’s willingness to roll the dice on relatively inexperienced coaches that he likes might be one of his best traits.

And even worse, some on this board were touting him as a possible replacement for Frost. I could never see that aside from thr fact that players seemed to love him.
By most accounts Chin is a good guy. Frost unfortunately seemed to be going through a monumental midlife crisis and just lost it. Chin actually probably would have performed better as head coach than Frost.

I listened to a former NFL head coach talk about why fired coordinators keep getting rehired as coordinators. It might have been Jimmie Johnson. His comment was that calling plays is hard and not everyone can call plays for the offense or defense. There’s definitely some knack for it but it doesn’t explain Matt Canada continuing to get jobs as an OC.

Most head coaches aren’t big risk takers when they hire assistants so they hire known commodities. Rhule’s willingness to roll the dice on relatively inexperienced coaches that he likes might be one of his best traits.
I bet the NFL is different than CFB though.

By most accounts Chin is a good guy. Frost unfortunately seemed to be going through a monumental midlife crisis and just lost it. Chin actually probably would have performed better as head coach than Frost.
he was one good season (2022) away from the fans anointing him the next coach.

Even Nick Saban had a couple of rough years at Michigan State and also failed as an NFL coach.

Promoted from D-line coach to defensive coordinator as their defense averaged 3 sacks per game this year. Sometimes it just takes the right fit or mentor. We were closer to 3 sacks per season with him.

The world is lousy with average coaches. A dime a dozen. They are easy to find and won't get poached.
They survive on such notions as 'give them time' and 'wait until he gets his own players'.
Once they settle in and have bbq's with the head coach you're probably stuck with them.
The head man can surround himself with comfortability or excellence. Rarely both. We've seen the former bring down an otherwise successful head coach.
I would suspect Saban is difficult to work for. He isn't interested in a lot of middle of the road types.

The world is lousy with average coaches. A dime a dozen. They are easy to find and won't get poached.
They survive on such notions as 'give them time' and 'wait until he gets his own players'.
Once they settle in and have bbq's with the head coach you're probably stuck with them.
The head man can surround himself with comfortability or excellence. Rarely both. We've seen the former bring down an otherwise successful head coach.
I would suspect Saban is difficult to work for. He isn't interested in a lot of middle of the road types.
This is pretty true.

Most coaches really think most other coaches do a good job. When you see CFB coaches saying that, they mean it. Because for the most part, every coach runs the same drills.

The differences really comes down to play calling, players and if you can break down film.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT