ADVERTISEMENT

OU & UT future B1G targets?

Seems like we've heard these rumors before and nothing comes of it. I need more than some random person on twitter claiming that he has a good source that has broken B1G-related stories before in order to believe this outright.

Reactions: 250vertical
Texas is happy where they are. If you think they'd dump a situation where they make all of the decisions in their conference, have their own TV network, and have only one real conference rival for wins and recruits....to join a bunch of northerners who wouldn't put up with their bull, then you're smoking something.

Joining the Big Ten would not give Texas a revenue boost like most teams. They're already richer than pharaohs, so they don't need it anyway.

There was an article on soonerscoop over the summer that stated that OU’s tier 3 rights are up for renewal at the end of 2021 and so far they have not extended those rights to the Big 12 past the 2025 season. It was also reported in the same article that Fox and the Big Ten network have already inquired as to purchasing those tier 3 right.

IMO, this is probably already set in motion and if so it will solidify the Big Ten as the revenue leader going forward. With Texas and OU that basically means (as of this year) 10 of the 27 $100M athletic departments would reside in the Big Ten and 6 of the top ten all time winning football programs also reside in the Big Ten. From a business perspective it would make the Big Ten a financial giant and makes more sense than just about anything else. This would be the ultimate demise of the Big 12 as a P5 conference as well.

Reactions: saluno22 and WHCSC
Texas is happy where they are. If you think they'd dump a situation where they make all of the decisions in their conference, have their own TV network, and have only one real conference rival for wins and recruits....to join a bunch of northerners who wouldn't put up with their bull, then you're smoking something.

Joining the Big Ten would not give Texas a revenue boost like most teams. They're already richer than pharaohs, so they don't need it anyway.
The problem is that the Big 12 essentially is dead if Oklahoma leaves - that's the dilemma for Texas. Also a huge problem for the Big 12 midgets because some of them will be left in the cold with no place to go. Oklahoma clearly holds the key to the Big 12.

Reactions: timnsun and WHCSC
The problem is that the Big 12 essentially is dead if Oklahoma leaves - that's the dilemma for Texas. Also a huge problem for the Big 12 midgets because some of them will be left in the cold with no place to go. Oklahoma clearly holds the key to the Big 12.

Yep. Texas probably doesn’t want to leave the Big 12, but if OU goes, they have no choice but to follow suit.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I have to say, I'm usually not one that pines for the old days, but these "conferences" growing beyond 10 - 12 teams are getting ridiculous. You play teams across from your division (even if you eliminate divisions) so infrequently, it doesn't even feel like you're in the same "conference". Does anyone feel like Nebraska and Maryland are in the same conference? How about Nebraska and Rutgers? I don't. And I don't want to.

With all the voting for which teams get to go to the playoffs these days, I'm starting to want the old days where conferences aligned with bowls and then the votes took place after the fact. Is it really that much different than what we're doing now?

Reactions: zrob and saluno22
I have to say, I'm usually not one that pines for the old days, but these "conferences" growing beyond 10 - 12 teams are getting ridiculous.
I'd be cool with two 10-team semi-independent leagues — The Original Big 10 and the New Big 10 —playing under the Big Ten banner and sharing revenue, one consisting of the original Big Ten and another of the interlopers and yet-to-be-invited newcomers, both leagues playing round-robin football and basketball schedules within the leagues, and then getting together for a football title game and a massive basketball tournament. Write a contract that also has some scheduling compact — one guaranteed game every year between an Original team and a New team — and I think everybody's happy.

Original Big 10
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

New Big 10
Nebraska
Penn State
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Maryland
Rutgers
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

Reactions: tstaup
I have to say, I'm usually not one that pines for the old days, but these "conferences" growing beyond 10 - 12 teams are getting ridiculous. You play teams across from your division (even if you eliminate divisions) so infrequently, it doesn't even feel like you're in the same "conference". Does anyone feel like Nebraska and Maryland are in the same conference? How about Nebraska and Rutgers? I don't. And I don't want to.

With all the voting for which teams get to go to the playoffs these days, I'm starting to want the old days where conferences aligned with bowls and then the votes took place after the fact. Is it really that much different than what we're doing now?

I must say I totally agree with you on this. The old Big8 , SWC, etc would be fine. Wish it never would've changed.

The expansion, which will be 2025 and 2026, not 2024 and 2025 will do to 16 team Super Conferences just like all other P5 conferences and talks with OU and UT have been ongoing the past few years, it hasn't just started.

Reactions: huskerfan66
The expansion, which will be 2025 and 2026, not 2024 and 2025 will do to 16 team Super Conferences just like all other P5 conferences and talks with OU and UT have been ongoing the past few years, it hasn't just started.
Why not grab Notre Dame and Kansas as well and go to 18? What reason is there to stop at 16?

I'd be cool with two 10-team semi-independent leagues — The Original Big 10 and the New Big 10 —playing under the Big Ten banner and sharing revenue, one consisting of the original Big Ten and another of the interlopers and yet-to-be-invited newcomers, both leagues playing round-robin football and basketball schedules within the leagues, and then getting together for a football title game and a massive basketball tournament. Write a contract that also has some scheduling compact — one guaranteed game every year between an Original team and a New team — and I think everybody's happy.

Original Big 10
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

New Big 10
Nebraska
Penn State
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Maryland
Rutgers
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

Original can be called Legacy 10, new can be called Upstart 10.;)

I vote no for any school from big 12 screw them I still have sour grapes from OU snubbing us at the big 12 conception and Texas for being just Texas arrogant pricks
Smart move on OU's part as they had the choice to keep it going, but chose not to as they were really a dumpster fire, while we at the time were the program that all of Div 1 was terrified to play as we had just fielded the greatest team in College Football history and ultimately would hurt them in the long run as with each game turned into one historic beat down after another.which would've severely hurt their recruiting and the Sooner brand as they probably would've been down probably as long as we have had they chose to keep it going, plus they in no way wanted any part of us back then. Hell that 69-7 hell storm we put on them in 97 was the largest margin of victory for either team in their history of playing as OU has NEVER come close to beating us as bad as we did them in 97.

Last edited:
If ND is going to be forced into a conference they will be forced to the ACC... they already are tied to it

Upon further investigation this guy may be nothing more than a Minnesota version of Eric in Scottsdale. My bad Laughing.

Pod system with some type of 4 team playoff with pod winners to determine B1G title.

East
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn St
Ohio St.

North
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana

Central
Illinois
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

West
Nebraska
Minnesota
Texas
Oklahoma

Reactions: tdstick
Pod system with some type of 4 team playoff with pod winners to determine B1G title.

East
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn St
Ohio St.

North
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana

Central
Illinois
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

West
Nebraska
Minnesota
Texas
Oklahoma
Interesting you put Iowa in a easier division and avoiding playing Nebraska every year! You should replace Wisconsin with Indiana

Texas would go independent before relinquishing any power in a different conference.

Interesting you put Iowa in a easier division and avoiding playing Nebraska every year! You should replace Wisconsin with Indiana
I was actually doing you guys a favor. You get to avoid Iowa and Wisconsin and play Oklahoma every year on black Friday. All I ever hear from you guys how you long for the days of playing Oklahoma. Well here you go.

Best
Nebraska

Rest
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern