ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Xbox Series | PS5

As a lifelong PlayStation loyalist, it sounds like Xbox may have grabbed a slight edge this round. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. Probably going to be years before I get PS5, and I'm considering going to PC-only.

I waited a good while to get PS3 and PS4 until the price came down a bit. In general I like some time to pass for them to work out any kinks with hardware or firmware.

Most major titles will be available on both. I was a big Metal Gear guy, so that tipped me to PlayStation in the past because it wasn't on Xbox. I grabbed an old Xbox 360 to play old Halo titles a couple years back. I had fun modding the hard drive to make it play original Xbox titles, grabbed the Halo series used for dirt cheap. I also used it as a media device to stream TV until the app updates were no longer supported for 360.

I still have a bunch of PS4 games I haven't even unwrapped yet, so I'm in no rush. Finished Horizon Zero Dawn most recently and really enjoyed it. I have Spider Man, God of War, and Uncharted 4 that I bought for like $15-20 each that I need to get around to playing.

Not sure what I'll be getting my kid for Christmas, but I'm sure it's gonna be expensive.

Not sure what I'll be getting my kid for Christmas, but I'm sure it's gonna be expensive.
Tiger electronics handhelds are all the rage these days.
915NleNkJwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What games are coming out at launch for new Xbox?

I only play madden and occasionally, Modern Warfare

I pre ordered the ps5 and will pick it up on Thursday. I still play most nights after we put the kids to bed helps unwind and destress for the day. I still play with the same group of guys since high school and I am 32 now. Everyone except for two of us has switched to PC though. With all the games we play being cross platform I probably wont switch to pc for a while.

Who is getting what? Xbox released today, PS5 on Thursday.
Xbox for me. I'm going to wait until the prices drop to at most $350. There is no way I could convince myself that $500+ for a new console is in my best interest.

Xbox for me. I'm going to wait until the prices drop to at most $350. There is no way I could convince myself that $500+ for a new console is in my best interest.
you could go the series s route. They actually think that will be the better seller in the long run.

Down the road... xbox.

Im in no hurry to upgrade. Valhalla looks fine on my current system and thats my current time sink.

One thing I've noticed having switched to PC back in 2013 is that these new console launches have no real oomf to me anymore.

I follow the industry and it's fun to see what it around the corner but graphics cards are released practically every year now. Still happy to see things move forward for the Big 3 (Sony, MS, Nintendo).

If I didn't have a PC, I would go with Xbox. It has more games that interest me.

Reactions: Thortulz
One thing I've noticed having switched to PC back in 2013 is that these new console launches have no real oomf to me anymore.

I follow the industry and it's fun to see what it around the corner but graphics cards are released practically every year now. Still happy to see things move forward for the Big 3 (Sony, MS, Nintendo).

If I didn't have a PC, I would go with Xbox. It has more games that interest me.
I would go PS. I’ve always enjoyed that more.

After switching over to pc I haven't missed playing on consoles one bit. Of course my pc is a high end photo editing/gaming pc with a 4k monitor attached, lol.

I'll add though that my original xbox that was launched back in 2000 I believe is still attached to the TV out in our living room. I modded it with a 500gb hdd and put all my favorite xbox games, emulators and music so now it's our retro media center. Just played NCAA 2k7 last weekend on it.

I probably have played my PS4 less than 5 times in 2020.

However, we did get one of these Arcade1up tables the other day. The power of gift cards and credit card rewards.

It includes Ms PAC-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug...quality stress releasing activity time with the family needed in 2020 and after Husker games. Winking

6416407_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Reactions: Thortulz
I haven’t bought a console since they stopped making NCAA Football. There’s no other reason to own a gaming console, IMO.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I probably have played my PS4 less than 5 times in 2020.

However, we did get one of these Arcade1up tables the other day. The power of gift cards and credit card rewards.

It includes Ms PAC-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug...quality stress releasing activity time with the family needed in 2020 and after Husker games. Winking

6416407_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550
How is that 1up holding up? Ive been thinking about a few for a while but have heard mixed reviews on the build quality.

How is that 1up holding up? Ive been thinking about a few for a while but have heard mixed reviews on the build quality.

Well...we put it together on Saturday after the game because I had some “extra” energy to burn off. We like it so far.

The controller does not seem to be as strong as the original standup models so we need to be careful how aggressive we are when we “lose.”

Reactions: SkerInCo
Looks like Xbox stepped up their game this time, but it will be ps5 for me. Been a Playstation loyalist since the first one came out.

Looks like Xbox stepped up their game this time, but it will be ps5 for me. Been a Playstation loyalist since the first one came out.
My oldest is a PS loyalist. I switched to xbox for the last gen and this gen. Actually, I think xbox360 may have turned the tide for me. I had a ps2 and ps3 as well. I skipped the ps4, but my oldest has it. I told him if he wants the 5, to start earnin his keep. ;)

Well...we put it together on Saturday after the game because I had some “extra” energy to burn off. We like it so far.

The controller does not seem to be as strong as the original standup models so we need to be careful how aggressive we are when we “lose.”
I've seen some really cool builds on those where people plug in a Raspberry Pi and run RetroPie on them. I don't have a cabinet but I do have a Pi that runs RetroPie and I have literally thousands of games from NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis on it.

It sits on my "relics of gaming past" TV along with the PS2, SNES and Xbox 360. Oh and I have a working VCR hooked up to it as well.

Launch day consoles are trash and you end being the guinea pig for later ones. With that said PS5 next spring. MLB The Show 21.
hmm... had a launch day system of both of xbox's last iterations, XB1 and XB1X. Zero issues. Last issue I had was an XB was the 360 and the circle of death.

Xbox 360 had RLD and the PS3 had YLD because they used cheap parts to offset costs due to the fact they were fighting a format war (HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray). Once the fight was over, they fixed this in both consoles.

Xbox one and PS4 didn't have huge widespread issues even though they were launched as multimedia consoles. This is because they used the last few years of the previous generation consoles as the testing ground. This is the correct way to do it.

XBOX-X and PS5 are still too early to tell. Much like the 360/PS3 we will find out until after the fact. Plus, if your XBox X or PS5 has sudden hardware failure right now, when could you get a replacement? You likely won't get one before 2021. Neither has a GTA or RDR type must have game at launch, I just don't see the upside to having it now.

Reactions: TheBeav815
i'll end up with a ps5 some day. i'm always more interested in the story of a game. just finished the last of us 2 and loved it.
I'm the opposite. I used to love to be immersed in storylines and I still do, but I find the video game medium is pretty poor at telling stories that don't involve cutscenes/audio recordings. Dark Souls does a decent job.

Give me an interesting game with fun mechanics over B level Sci-fi movie writing. I'll watch a movie or read a book for a great story. Not saying all video game stories suck but 90% of AAA ones do. Enjoyed RDR2.

I played the majority of PS4 1st party games and I couldn't take the pretentious nature any longer.
Same goes for Ubisoft. Ubisoft is 90% filler.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT