ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Wounded Warriors group at the lodge right now

akmark

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2003
So my last group of the year is traditionally this Wounded Warriors group that comes up each year to fish, adventure, but most importantly sit around the campfire and talk. The group leading the operation, Alaska Adventure Project, brings them to the lodge and I take them out - yesterday we pulled in a dozen salmon and 300+ shrimp, which we then ate at dinner. But by far the best part of the day was listening to the stories around the campfire. The AAP group is all veterans who have seen combat, and one of them is a former SEAL, so some of the things I heard last night were really straight out of movies-type stuff. I would never repeat what they said, but I can say this:
  • Although Iraq/Baghdad sucked, the stories they talk about from their time in Afghanistan are the ones that blow your mind. Of the 9 out here right now, all were either Marines or Navy, and all were in both theaters. But the mountains and terrain (and some of the fighters) of the Korangal Valley sound almost mythical when you hear about them.
  • "Looking someone in the eye who is trying to kill you is the experience few people feel, but stays with you forever." Heard that last night.
  • These veterans light up when they are around people who have gone through similar situations, and that's why I think programs like this are vitally important.
  • So after dinner last night we all went out to the deck to hang out - beautiful sunset, no bugs, and started a campfire. That's when the stories came out, each person detailing something they remember. Then, after about an hour, they naturally broke out into smaller groups, with an AAP member with a Warrior. At that point I left to give privacy, but I could easily tell that the mentoring and guidance AAP was giving those guys was crucial to their survival back in the real world. Once this bond is formed there now is a new group of cell phone numbers to call when you are having a down turn in life - and you just see that bond getting stronger the longer they are out here.
Just wanted to share that quick story. Off for more coho fishing, shrimp pot pulling, and then leading an evening free-dive for scallops (devil's on horseback sound fantastic). Season ends tomorrow!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.