ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are you investing your hard earned money in?

To add to my previous comment, people may read this and think, ‘I’m so far behind.’ Well, you probably are. Almost everyone isn’t saving how they should. Don’t feel bad. Start where you are. But you have to start today. Compound interest is your biggest ally.

It's a crime that more people do not understand the time value of money and the "rule of 72." Take 72 divided by the return on your money and that is how often it will double. Assuming 10% interest, a $1,000 will be $2,000 in 7.2 years. Then calculate how many cycles you have left in your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: GretnaShawn
The local drinking establishment.
That's investing in the local economy which pays property taxes to fund sshools, roads, police & fire protection. Who also hire employees who pay taxes, buy shoes for their kids..... You are a true American. Capitalism will prevail.... I tipped my hat

A liitle something called the Opti-Grab.
I'm sure you'll
tumblr_orctieuCmR1qmob6ro1_400.gif

Vanguard rocks, put a small bit of money in a Roth for my wife back in 2013, three funds have netted to date a very nice return! I will transfer my 401k to Vanguard when the time comes.
How does one actually buy vanguard accounts?

Im pretty good on a few accounts, one through work and another through ed jones, but have heard about vangurd before but have no clue how to invest in their accounts.
Im an idiot on my own with this stuff.

How does one actually buy vanguard accounts?

Im pretty good on a few accounts, one through work and another through ed jones, but have heard about vangurd before but have no clue how to invest in their accounts.
Im an idiot on my own with this stuff.

It's pretty easy, just go to their site and find open an account, that will take you to their next page of opening a new account. Once you do that, it's easy to choose what you want to do for retirement or a general investing account.

Guns, gold/silver, real estate, S&P 500.

I stay away from cars, but that last blue one F5Tornado put up would have a great shot at making me change my mind.

*Commercial real estate in Raleigh NC
*Managed assisted living in Berkeley California
*Multi family real estate development in Napa
*Manufactured housing development in Dallas
*Tourism condo's in Maui
*Hotel in Los Altos California
*Multi Family in Peach Tree Atlanta
*BRK-B
*Trade TQQQ on big ups and downs

Are you a coin collector or smarter than that and a true rare coin investor?.
I got backed into collecting coins 60 years ago, now liquidating. I'm not knowledgeable in this so just using eBay.
Any suggestion how to best monetize bunch of old coins?

I own lots of coins, collected since I was 7. 1967.

Coins are like any other commodity, you need to know what things are worth. These days most truly rare or high grade coins are in a container with a grade given by a third party company like PCGS, or NGC.

Coins are like stocks in that you have to know them.
You can get books to help you learn how to grade coins, and they have suggestive retail prices for specific grades.

Never sell a coin until you are sure what you have.

Some physical silver when the price drops. QQQ, 500 ETF's. A portfolio of dividend stocks, one balanced portfolio, some emerging markets and a little foreign. A couple of rental properties. Each year I wait on social security adds 8% increase.

I am about ready to do fixed income on about a third of my portfolio. Bonds went inverted, some indicators are warning and I am getting old so preservation of capital is important.
The best reason to invest with Vanguard is how low their fees are. People look at returns but usually don't pay attention to what they're paying in fees. High fees will trash your return in a big hurry.

A lot of recession warnings starting to build, but so far we haven't had the inciting incident to really kick it off in earnest. Very few of the 2008 lessons stuck, the dominos were basically just stacked right back where they were.

Mostly index funds, as well as ESPP from both my wife and my employers. If I had more time and energy, I would consider investing in rental properties, or maybe some other form of real estate.

It's impossible to lose the match if you never lose your serve. A little investing advice to those who want to hear.

I don't want to get in to a fight here, but why are people investing in gold/silver? 2k invested in gold when I was born would be worth about 12k now, but that same 2k invested in an index fund would be worth about 60k now. It seems like a waste of money.
Precious metal investing is really only for tail risk....3 standard deviations from the mean.

Going to gamble it away so there won't be anything to fight over when I'm gone. In the meantime probably will work till I can't, the become a greeter at Walmart

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
Dirt. Great buying opportunity likely on the near horizon for dirt. They ain't making any more of it. I've had a Series 7 securities license and have used stocks a fair amount. The one thing I've made more money in than anything over the years has been dirt.

Reactions: Baxter48 and WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT