ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The most miles you’ve driven in a day.

21Husker1984

Walk On
Sep 28, 2017
Had to go to Midland Texas for work today. Spent the night in Liberal Ks last night. Left Liberal at 5:30 am. Wife called on the way and said she had the flu....great. As I pulled into Midland she called and said she went to the ER because her stomach hurt so bad she couldn’t stand it. Ended up removing her appendix. So I spent 10 minutes in Midland fueling up and headed back north. Just got to the hospital here in SW Nebraska at 11:30. Checked on the wife and she’s resting so I’m home laying in bed with the Red Bull shakes. 1070 miles driven today!

What’s the most you’ve done?

When I was younger:

989 miles. North San Diego County to Tucumcari NM.

and

804 miles. North San Diego County to Grand Junction Colorado.

Don'y really drive that long anymore now that I can afford to rent more than 1 hotel room per trip.

Had to go to Midland Texas for work today. Spent the night in Liberal Ks last night. Left Liberal at 5:30 am. Wife called on the way and said she had the flu....great. As I pulled into Midland she called and said she went to the ER because her stomach hurt so bad she couldn’t stand it. Ended up removing her appendix. So I spent 10 minutes in Midland fueling up and headed back north. Just got to the hospital here in SW Nebraska at 11:30. Checked on the wife and she’s resting so I’m home laying in bed with the Red Bull shakes. 1070 miles driven today!

At age 54, I drove straight through from Rapid City, SD to Phoenix, AZ in about 21 hours & 45minutes. I drove 55 much of the way because I was pulling a trailer in a 2010 Ford Escape and was trying to maximize gas mileage. As it was, I got about 15-18mpg.

I told myself if I got tired I would pull over but I just never got that tired for whatever reason.

I do a monster roadtrip just about every summer. I usually don't do a ton of miles in a day, but often get sick of being on the road and knocking out a ton of miles the last day. I have done a ton of marathon driving days while on trips. Just a few years ago I did roughly 1000 miles in a day leaving Las Cruces, NM to home in Papillion in a day. I took mostly highway instead of the much faster interstate so I could see some sights along the way. The stupid part was it was getting late in Kansas somewhere. I was nodding off and stopped at a gas station and powered up on Red Bull and continued on. I was doing about 100 mph up some highway into Nebraska and ultimately stopped at some truck stop in North Platte. I slept about an hour in my truck and thought I was good and hopped on the interstate home. I was probably doing 90 down the interstate knowing full well I was in no condition to drive. The drive from North Platte to Lincoln was a blur. The last hour I was awake and no problem. That was the dumbest drive I have done in a day.

While in the Marines, I did a couple drives that were longer. I drove my Monte Carlo from Sundance, WY to just west of Seattle in a day. Google says that is 16 hours, and about 1100 miles. I don't really remember. I had orders to San Diego a couple years later, and drove back with another guy. I had a stick shift truck by that time with a passenger who didn't drive stick. The second day of the trip, I did roughly 1300 miles from Missoula, MT to home in one day, and my brother drove us to Des Moines to drop my fellow Marine off. I still remember driving all night across the state of Nebraska. I stopped in Scottsbluff and drank some coffee and ate some grub. My buddy was a nut and we listened to Metallica and Stormtroopers Of Death while he told stories through the dark Nebraska night about how humans were born from aliens and stuff like that. It was awesome in hindsight. I will actually go see Metallica for the first time this fall in Lincoln.

about 700 sheridan wy to calgary ab. it didn't seem that bad.

the drive from denver to salina, ks takes about 4 years.

Reactions: dinglefritz
1,205 miles. Spring break. Omaha to South Padre Island. Five people in a Ford Explorer.

We regularly drive 600 miles to northern Wisconsin for my wife’s family. Now that we have young kids, we’ve started driving after work and stopping in Minneapolis to break up he trip. Before kids we’d crank that thing out no problem.

We visited my brother in law and sister at camp pendleton so we could go to the NU vs UCLA game. We drove from just north of San Diego to NW Texas to drop friends off then back to NE Nebraska all with out stopping for sleep. It took a little over 24 hours though.

Multiple trips to Walt Disney World and back in under 24 hours. Interesting enough I did the same going to Lenox Massachusetts and back which is roughly the same ETA and miles.

San Antonio to Lincoln. 900 miles, but did on no sleep and after a day on the river drinking and tubing. Wanted to avoid traffic driving all night. Was falling asleep by Kansas. Never again.

That feeling of falling asleep while driving is brutal.

No idea on miles but did a 4mile hike in glacier national Park on a sat morning. packed up and did a drive to Kalispell, MT to watched the Husker football game. Then completed the road trip to Green River, Wy was a 26hr day.

1210 miles from Riverside, CA to Denver via Las Vegas, New Mexico. Little over 18 hours, 3 hours sleep about 900 miles in. 4 liters of Pepsi and fast food would kill me in my late 40s, but at 20 I didn’t even think twice about that diet.

Just did 15.5 Hours three days ago. San Diego to Moab, UT through Phoenix and Monument Valley. 823 miles.

Driven to the east coast and back. Also took a trip down through Tulsa, over to Hot Springs, then down through Mobile to Gulf Shore, AL. Came back through New Orleans and Dallas. All done with 5 kids ranging in age from 4-12 without the aid of electronic entertainment other than radio and book tapes. Good times.

Two longest are San Francisco to Omaha (1,600 miles) left in the afternoon, had supper in Reno, NV and made it to Omaha about 6:00 next evening, all I-80) and Omaha to outerbanks NC (1,425 in just under 22 hours). Also, Las Vegas to Omaha via the 4 corners, and Omaha to Phoenix and vice versa several times.

Manassas, VA to Kearney. Did have a brief stop in Canton to go through the HOF. Other than that, drove the whole way.

Almost every summer ...Los Angeles to Rawlins-950 or so miles (Stop in Provo near Lavell Edwards stadium so the dog can pee on it.)Coming back Omaha to Salt Lake also about 950 miles. Driving across Wyoming SUCKS----Those random wind gusts when you are drowsy can throw you in a ditch with nothing around for help for hundreds of miles. Podcasts and satellite radio are a savior

1107 miles in 24 hours...Iron Butt run from Omaha, NE to Corpus Christi, TX August 2008

Mine isn't anything to special by total miles drove... 500. But that drive from Omaha to Grand Forks on I-29 while you're doing rolling hills in South Dakota is my personal definition of what hell is. Just feels endless.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Roughly 1,500 miles in around 24 hours. From Lincoln to Cambridge, MA over spring break when I was a freshman. Almost passed out several times from self deprivation the last few hundred miles. I was 19, thought I was invincible and didn't want to pay for a hotel since I was essentially broke. Thought it was a "cool" thing to do at the time, but in hindsight, pretty stupid and reckless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinomatic
About 1200 miles from Newport News VA to just west of DesMoines IA...had to stop the lines kept disappearing on me on the road

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT