ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texas trooper pulled me over in West Texas yesterday

This talk about Concealed Carry has me wondering do any of you have the CC insurance? BTW I also have my permit and looking to purchase a policy just haven’t decided what company to go with.

I personally use CCWSafe. It's not so much insurance as it is prepaid legal representation, which is true of pretty much every "carry insurance." I don't pay extra for the civil lawsuit insurance, I just went with the basic coverage.

Even with coverage, its good to have a local lawyer on retainer. That part I still haven't done yet though I am acquainted with a few that would likely pick up if I called.

Road trip. Texas has 254 counties. I think I've now been to 187 of them. Still working on the pics and updating the spreadsheet.

Funny thing, the trooper never asked what I was doing out there.

I got you. It’s a big state. I’ve been just about all over it.

What do you do in the oilfield?

I have a truck in the oil field hauling cranes and rig moves and pipe.

I got you. It’s a big state. I’ve been just about all over it.

Pre 2017, I may or may not have taken pics of the town I was driving through. In 2017, I started really getting after it. I take pics of the entire town. Courthouse, police, fire, water tower, first methodist, first baptist, city hall, any old buildings, train depots, theaters, fountains, veteran memorials, confederate monuments. Anything old. That and the roads/lands I'm driving through.

Reactions: jnelsen040
jp6ZuIfh.jpg

VJ8pTEdh.jpg

Reactions: jnelsen040
Lucky you. After getting my carry permit I got pulled over by our local state patrol Carrier enforcement officer who I am on a first name basis with and have even gone camping with the guy as our sons were in neighboring town scout troops.

He pulled me over and I got read the riot act because the first words out of my mouth when he approached my pickup wasn't that I have a concealed carry permit...... even though I didn't even have it on me. Gave me the stearn warning of $1000 fine yadda yadda yadda.......

I was told that you're required to inform the officer in nebraska that you have a CCW and if you're carrying or not.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I was told that you're required to inform the officer in nebraska that you have a CCW and if you're carrying or not.
That is correct (mostly, you only have to inform them if you are carrying actually AFAIK). Here in Illinois you are not, which is kind of crazy considering our other gun laws. That's one of the fun parts of carrying when you travel, have to update yourself on the laws of each state. I actually have an app that shows which states recognize my license and gives pertinent information about each state's carry laws. Probably the single most useful app I own.

A guy I know owns a trucking company. He's also been on the state DOT board. His truckers routinely overload trucks and he never gets ticketed. When the scales are closed for state holidays, he'll load grain trucks front to back with wet corn coming out of irrigated fields and not even bother to cover them to hide the load. And we wonder why our highways go to hell so quickly.
Only way to stop a bad guy with wet corn is a good guy with wet corn.

I'm not required to have the window already down, both hands on too of the wheel and driver's license already out but I know my shot at a warning is a lot better if I have a relaxed cop outside my window than one who spots a weapon I didn't mention.

I keep a club in the back where they can easily see it, you don't wanna let them fill the narrative with anything negative.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
I'm not required to have the window already down, both hands on too of the wheel and driver's license already out but I know my shot at a warning is a lot better if I have a relaxed cop outside my window than one who spots a weapon I didn't mention.

I keep a club in the back where they can easily see it, you don't wanna let them fill the narrative with anything negative.

I just unbutton my shirt a bit...show off a little hairy man-boob.

I got pulled over yesterday morning on the way back from West Texas. I was just west of Big Spring when a state trooper lit me up and turned to chase me. I must have been doing 90. I mean, we're talking the middle of nowhere out in oil country. Nothing but oil pumps as far as the eye can see. I wasn't even on the interstate. Just some state highway.

I hand him my driver's license and my carry license.

Trooper: Are you carrying today?
Me: Yes, sir
Trooper: Where are you carrying it?
Me: On the floor board, next to me.
Trooper: What are you carrying?
Me. HK VP9
Trooper: (grin)

I got a warning.
pQZ6QaY.png

Y
Yes you are right. When they walk up to your vehicle you are supposed to inform them. ALSO to any EMS etc as well.

That is correct (mostly, you only have to inform them if you are carrying actually AFAIK). Here in Illinois you are not, which is kind of crazy considering our other gun laws. That's one of the fun parts of carrying when you travel, have to update yourself on the laws of each state. I actually have an app that shows which states recognize my license and gives pertinent information about each state's carry laws. Probably the single most useful app I own.

You are only required to advise officer when you are carrying not that you have a permit to carry. It is highly recommended that you advise them anyway and I do. But here is the Nebraska statute.

69-2440 Permitholder; duties; contact with peace officer or emergency services personnel; procedures for securing handgun
(1) A permitholder shall carry his or her permit to carry a concealed handgun and his or her Nebraska driver's license, Nebraska-issued state identification card, or military identification card any time he or she carries a concealed handgun. The permitholder shall display both the permit to carry a concealed handgun and his or her Nebraska motor vehicle operator's license, Nebraska-issued state identification card, or military identification card when asked to do so by a peace officer or by emergency services personnel.
(2) Whenever a permitholder who is carrying a concealed handgun is contacted by a peace officer or by emergency services personnel, the permitholder shall immediately inform the peace officer or emergency services personnel that the permitholder is carrying a concealed handgun.

I got pulled over yesterday morning on the way back from West Texas. I was just west of Big Spring when a state trooper lit me up and turned to chase me. I must have been doing 90. I mean, we're talking the middle of nowhere out in oil country. Nothing but oil pumps as far as the eye can see. I wasn't even on the interstate. Just some state highway.

I hand him my driver's license and my carry license.

Trooper: Are you carrying today?
Me: Yes, sir
Trooper: Where are you carrying it?
Me: On the floor board, next to me.
Trooper: What are you carrying?
Me. HK VP9
Trooper: (grin)

I got a warning.
pQZ6QaY.png

God I love Texas! Much better culture than California and Hawaii.

When I took our 25th wedding anniversary trip to Montana and back in 2018, we went through 13 states. California was the only one that wouldn't recognize my carry license. That and my 15 round mags were illegal.

Could you tell me what that app is called?

When I took our 25th wedding anniversary trip to Montana and back in 2018, we went through 13 states. California was the only one that wouldn't recognize my carry license. That and my 15 round mags were illegal.

Could you tell me what that app is called?

Depending on your phone...

Apple - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ccw-concealed-carry-50-state/id443321291

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.ccw&hl=en_US

The same people also made an app called Posted which is basically a crowd sourced list of non firearm friendly businesses as well as friendly ones. Has saved me a walk back to the car a few times.

Apple - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/posted-list-pro-anti-gun/id530004581

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.posted&hl=en_US

I don't often pay for apps, but those two are well worth the couple bucks I've spent.

I love how most cops never even pull their guns out once during their career, let alone ever fire it...yet so many regular people think they are staring in the modern day Tombstone.

You guys crack me up!

The CC is the new Mazda Miata!

That isn't remotely true . . . I don't know a single police/sheriff/hi-po that hasn't pulled their gun on duty. Let alone the assertion that most haven't.

That isn't remotely true . . . I don't know a single police/sheriff/hi-po that hasn't pulled their gun on duty. Let alone the assertion that most haven't.

Funny, I know a lot of cops and none of them have ever pulled their gun.

How many do you know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT