ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Simone Biles out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kerri Strug had some issues, too. Probably had some doubt.

Then she went out and stuck a landing on a vault with a friggin' broken ankle to secure gold for team USA.
Keep beating that drum.

But really we have no idea what state of mind Biles was in. It's easy to judge. And I get it, she clearly isn't as strong mentally as some of the greatest performers you mention. But that doesn't make her weak.

I guess she and likely others around her must have had enough concern that she pulled out of the competition. Maybe their concern was more for her health and safety at that point. That is really where it should be.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
That’s because too many persevere and work through it everyday to have much sympathy for those that quit.
If only it was that easy for everyone. It isn't just "try harder".

If you ever have someone close to you suffer from mental illness you might realize there are actual physical things that go on with individuals that struggle. Sometimes those chemical imbalances in peoples minds aren't just fixed by working through it.

It is no different than someone have a heart defect. And then saying, well just eat healthy and exercise. Sometimes that isn't enough.

I get it, not many people understand or need to understand mental health. But it is worth some effort to try to understand before judging.

Last edited:
Kind of interesting to see it unfold. Younger athletes with tremendous skill seem to lack a degree of mental toughness and ability to combat adversity. Maybe if you have unlimited praise and validation from millions of fan girls, you decide that only good vibes need apply.
I think there is a lot of truth to what you say. In today's world all of the praise and admiration is so amplified. So is the criticism.

I also don't think they are equipped to handle it. And in her case she had some really impactful things in her childhood. If any of us had a mother that choose to feed the pets over their kids we might have some lingering issues too.

Too to say how any of us would handle it if we had to. And then add those mental influences at such an early and impactful age, it is easy to see how doubts and thoughts that were once suppressed maybe come out.

Reactions: drubendall
Keep beating that drum.

But really we have no idea what state of mind Biles was in. It's easy to judge. And I get it, she clearly isn't as strong mentally as some of the greatest performers you mention. But that doesn't make her weak.

I guess she and likely others around her must have had enough concern that she pulled out of the competition. Maybe their concern was more for her health and safety at that point. That is really where it should be.
I would not want her to risk serious injury. You can break your neck in gymnastics. Once she got to the point of "I really can't do this" it's good she didn't try.

The problem is reaching that kind of shaky mental state to begin with. I know you are beating the "mental illness, depression" drum, but simone biles does not have mental illness nor depression.
She had some bad vibes and couldn't handle them. She let stuff get to her and did not have the mental toughness required. She has been coddled too much and groomed to believe she just needs to step in the gym and the gold is hers, which isn't her own fault.
I don't think she should be burnt at the stake, but she should not be "celebrated" for this.

Kerri Strug should be celebrated. Her mental toughness was staggering in the face of extreme adversity and pressure. (The Russian flubbed her routine and it ended up not mattering, but Kerri did not know that at the time, so for all intents and purposes she thought she had to stick it, and she did.)

If you ever have someone close to you suffer from mental illness you might realize there are actual physical things that go on with individuals that struggle. Sometimes those chemical imbalances in peoples minds are jst fixed by working through it.

It is no different than someone have a heart defect. And then saying, well just eat healthy and exercise. Sometimes that isn't enough.

I get it, not many people understand or need to understand mental health. But it is worth some effort to try to understand before judging.
There's a lot of assumptions on your part that she is suffering from a mental illness.
Don't minimize mental illness to every time someone flakes out because they can't handle it. Mental illness is way more important and serious than that.

I would not want her to risk serious injury. You can break your neck in gymnastics. Once she got to the point of "I really can't do this" it's good she didn't try.

The problem is reaching that kind of shaky mental state to begin with. I know you are beating the "mental illness, depression" drum, but simone biles does not have mental illness nor depression.
She had some bad vibes and couldn't handle them. She let stuff get to her and did not have the mental toughness required. She has been coddled too much and groomed to believe she just needs to step in the gym and the gold is hers, which isn't her own fault.
I don't think she should be burnt at the stake, but she should not be "celebrated" for this.

Kerri Strug should be celebrated. Her mental toughness was staggering in the face of extreme adversity and pressure. (The Russian flubbed her routine and it ended up not mattering, but Kerri did not know that at the time, so for all intents and purposes she thought she had to stick it, and she did.)
How could you possibly know that she doesn't have mental health issues? I am not saying she for certain does, but it would be very easy to see how she could. Her childhood was anything but normal and healthy. You might be amazed at how many people suppress those early impacts until later in life when something stressful triggers all kinds of things.

I am really not trying to point this all at you. But man, there are some people that really don't have a clue about mental health and how it impacts so many people.

There's a lot of assumptions on your part that she is suffering from a mental illness.
Don't minimize mental illness to every time someone flakes out because they can't handle it. Mental illness is way more important and serious than that.
That kid probably endured more trauma and stress by age 6 than 99% of the people on this board. And those years are so impactful to mental stability.

There is a lot more evidence pointing to her have mental issues than just flaking out. Just a few examples....

In 2018, she wrote an emotional social media post revealing she was sexually abused by former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar.

A year later, Biles spoke of her heartache after her brother was charged with murdering three people, before he was later acquitted.

The gymnast also shed light on the impact of going into foster care as a child and being adopted by her grandparents - crediting the experience for making her the athlete she is today.

Born in Columbus, Ohio, on 14 March 1997, Biles's biological father reportedly left the family when she was very young and her biological mother Shanon struggled with drug and alcohol problems.

Biles has said she and her three siblings were often left hungry in her early life, with a stray cat who roamed the house given food over them.

"She always fed it but she never fed us," Biles said of her biological mother.

Easy to say she flaked out. But also pretty easy to see how being sexually assualted, being deserted by a father, having a mother that fed a stray cat over the kids and was a drug addict, and being separated from her siblings may have just a bit of an impact on someone mentally.

Last edited:
How could you possibly know that she doesn't have mental health issues? I am not saying she for certain does, but it would be very easy to see how she could. Her childhood was anything but normal and healthy. You might be amazed at how many people suppress those early impacts until later in life when something stressful triggers all kinds of things.

I am really not trying to point this all at you. But man, there are some people that really don't have a clue about mental health and how it impacts so many people.
You're assuming I don't have a clue about mental health. That would be wrong. One of my degrees has "psychology" on it. I do not believe having a degree makes me smart nor intelligent. But I say that so you stop thinking I don't care about or understand mental illness. I'm not an expert in it but not a novice either.

Mental illness is serious but it's used far too much as a crutch and overplayed when it really isn't mental illness but simply mental weakness. I have a hard time believing she just found out now she has legit mental illness.

Precisely.
This is akin to him throwing an interception early and saying, "sorry guys I need to go focus on myself." Then playing in the pro bowl.
Yes, it is very much akin. I mean everyone was talking about Tom Brady when he was 21 and warming the bench at Michigan and Biles had 4 gold medals by age 19.

Other than the 20 year age difference, 25 million dollar salary difference, one growing up in and out of foster care they are completely identical scenarios.

Yes, it is very much akin. I mean everyone was talking about Tom Brady when he was 21 and warming the bench at Michigan and Biles had 4 gold medals by age 19.

Other than the 20 year age difference, 25 million dollar salary difference, one growing up in and out of foster care they are completely identical scenarios.
You mean she was able to win four gold medals by age 19 despite growing up in foster care?

So now we're going to see a bunch of crying because she grew up in foster care.

You don't go win 4 gold medals if foster care traumatized you.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
I do not know if she is a dim or not, but I can certainly tell you she has felt pressure from the whole BLM movement to "speak out" and turn into an activist. Not that it has much to do with this.
You're right this shouldn't have anything to do with this, yet somehow I think it might.

You mean she was able to win four gold medals by age 19 despite growing up in foster care?

You really should take some time to understand how traumatic experiences early in life have impact long after those events.

That isn't opinion either.

Reactions: TheBeav815
If she was having mental issues before the trials and the selection for this team just a few weeks ago, then she should have retired then or whatever and not taken a spot away from one of the alternates.

it was selfish and as usual the left is praising her rather than criticizing the selfishness.
You are smarter than this. Do you really think it is that black and white?

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
Did she win those gold medals for the U.S. or for herself?

Explain how she hates freedom? She's a Dim. Nothing more needs to be said.
Thank you for your persuasive and compelling response of how she hates freedom. I have no idea what a "Dim" is and you are right that nothing more needs to be said by you.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker

Wow. Did you ever study about PTSD? I have no idea what happened to her today, but to downplay her background is frankly stunning given that you say you have a degree in psychology.

Sweet Christ. I don’t care one bit about gymnastics, but the lack of basic intelligence and understanding on this board is just gross. Shouldn’t be surprised considering the conversations over the last couple of years.
So many snowflakes triggered by an athlete stepping aside so she wouldn't hurt her teammates.

Biles: “I was like, ‘I am not in the right headspace. I am not going to lose a medal for this country and these girls because they’ve worked way too hard to have me go out there and lose a medal.’”

You're assuming I don't have a clue about mental health. That would be wrong. One of my degrees has "psychology" on it. I do not believe having a degree makes me smart nor intelligent. But I say that so you stop thinking I don't care about or understand mental illness. I'm not an expert in it but not a novice either.

Mental illness is serious but it's used far too much as a crutch and overplayed when it really isn't mental illness but simply mental weakness. I have a hard time believing she just found out now she has legit mental illness.
Your last statement shows how little you know regardless of what degree you have. Do you think people just wake up one day and realize "I have mental illness"?

I have had two kids very close to me that have struggled. One succeeding in taking his own life and the other attempted but thank God unsuccessfully. Literally no one that was close to either one of them knew anything was wrong.

Maybe she did know before. But I highly doubt she shared much with anyone if she did. The comments and thoughts in the this very thread make it easy to see why people are hesitant to seek help or even admit they need help.

Maybe my standing on my soapbox will help just one person realize there is much more to mental health than most realize. And maybe they will see someone close to them that needs help and recognize it sooner. And maybe that person will wake up tomorrow.

Unfortunately it isn't nearly as simple as some on here would like to believe.

Reactions: jteten and gomerxx
So many snowflakes triggered by an athlete stepping aside so she wouldn't hurt her teammates.

Biles: “I was like, ‘I am not in the right headspace. I am not going to lose a medal for this country and these girls because they’ve worked way too hard to have me go out there and lose a medal.’”

The snowflakes are the people calling her out for quitting on her team? No one is triggered. But if a NFL QB or NBA MVP quit during a super bowl or NBA finals, they would be criticized to no end. Why is this treated any differently? Why does she get a pass and pat on the back for quitting in the middle of a competition? If her mental health was that bad, she should have never been there in the first place. This is a bad look for someone who wears leotards with bedazzled goats on them. She is unquestionably the most talented gymnast of all time. She is not beyond question or reproach. She didn’t show up ready to compete. She let her team down. Period. That’s not up for debate.

If you ever have someone close to you suffer from mental illness you might realize there are actual physical things that go on with individuals that struggle. Sometimes those chemical imbalances in peoples minds are jst fixed by working through it.

I have a buddy that went off his meds, he was fine for about 3-4 days, then one day just started crying and asked me to not look at him, he was a mess. Got back on his meds and 3-4 days later was totally fine, I had never seen anything like it.

I have a buddy that went off his meds, he was fine for about 3-4 days, then one day just started crying and asked me to not look at him, he was a mess. Got back on his meds and 3-4 days later was totally fine, I had never seen anything like it.

That was me when Gill's pass was deflected for the 2 point conversion. I was a hot mess for days.

Whole lot of crap being flung at her by people who have no idea what it's like to walk in her shoes. I'm sure the pressure's just like selling real estate in Syracuse or insurance in Blair. Why can't people just appreciate what these athletes can do?

If she was having mental issues before the trials and the selection for this team just a few weeks ago, then she should have retired then or whatever and not taken a spot away from one of the alternates.

it was selfish and as usual the left is praising her rather than criticizing the selfishness.
That's silly. She's the number one gymnast in the world and maybe the greatest of all time. Whatever was going through her mind, I'm sure she was trying to process it and get past it.

Saying Biles is the greatest gymnast of all time is like saying Serena Williams is the greatest tennis player ever. Yes, she's the greatest women's gymnast by far, but not really comparable to the men.

The snowflakes are the people calling her out for quitting on her team? No one is triggered. But if a NFL QB or NBA MVP quit during a super bowl or NBA finals, they would be criticized to no end. Why is this treated any differently? Why does she get a pass and pat on the back for quitting in the middle of a competition? If her mental health was that bad, she should have never been there in the first place. This is a bad look for someone who wears leotards with bedazzled goats on them. She is unquestionably the most talented gymnast of all time. She is not beyond question or reproach. She didn’t show up ready to compete. She let her team down. Period. That’s not up for debate.
Winner Winner right there.

females are treated different than men. It's the elephant in the room.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
What experience do you have running a nation? Hell a city, shoot even a company? Yet I bet you have plenty of opinions about how things should be done.But you haven’t walked a mile in those shoes.
That is one hell of a leap there. Are you a gymnast?

Wow. Did you ever study about PTSD? I have no idea what happened to her today, but to downplay her background is frankly stunning given that you say you have a degree in psychology.
Umm, a degree in psych/soc...

...well, I really don’t even need to say more.

Reactions: egaRdeR
And like someone else said, if it was Tom Brady or Lebron James, it would be a bash fest.
You don't know what is going through her mind. She could be having panic attacks. The criticism is not fair because people are casting judgment with incomplete information. She's accomplished enough that she deserves the benefit of doubt. We're going to rip on her because she pulled out over mental health? This is not the same thing as the weak-minded tennis pro. That girl was just lazy and cannot handle criticism. I think this is different.

Reactions: egaRdeR
Yep, she took a spot from someone who actually wanted to be there. If you watch her interviews for the weeks leading up to the Olympics she was talking about her mental health then. Either her or someone on that Olympic committee should have said this isn’t a good idea for you.

There is an article where she just said she had been on medication and in counseling. It has worked up to this point. For whatever reason the pressure was more than she could handle to keep the "demons" (her words) out of her head. And she recognized she wouldn't be able to be successful.

It takes a heck of a lot of courage to look your self in the mirror and admit you can't do something. And yes, she did just realize it at that moment. I think she even mentioned blanking out in mid air.

I have talked to someone that has struggled. It scares me when they say they can't control their thoughts. They know what is going on, but get caught in their own head and can't get out. It is what causes many people to succumb to their illness.

Mental illness isn't black and white. It isn't simply try harder or make decisions you should. I can't imagine the pain that goes on in people's minds, but I have had close conversations and I can tell it isn't something I would want to deal with.

I know you are a fairly black and white person. But there are a lot of different shades.

I may be completely wrong. But there are literally text books written about what she is feeling and dealing with in her mental health. And with how her influences at an early age shaped her mental state as she matured. Those things aren't debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT