ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Scary incident out at my remote property this last Holiday weekend...

BugeaterInWa

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Spent the past week and a half up at my property. My uncle was in town and he wanted to catch Halibut, again. So Sunday rolls around and we head out to fish. Had a great time, the hali's did not play nice and never fully took our bait. So we get back to my place, rinse, wash the boat and truck clean up the rods and reels... I realized I need another pack of smokes and it was now after 2000 and the local General Store was closed. This ment I had to go all the way into town. So I tell everyone to get ready to go with me as I wanted to stop at the local bar and buy everyone a celebratory shot for the end of Halibut Season and a shot to honor Memorial Day the following day. I run into my camper to get my truck keys. My other buddy goes to my other trailer to get my uncle out. My good friend goes to relieve himself into a drainage ditch while waiting for us. As he finishes up, he hears a whisper coming from my brush. What he heard was "I think they are still here". Well he immediately pulled out his side arm and instructed whomever it was to come out. They did, they looked really pale and scared a bit and on their own put their hands up. Turns out it was my neighbor and his 19 year old step son. Neighbor had cami trousers on (he is not a veteran) and a brown long sleeve t-shirt. The kid had all black on with a black knit hat. Did I mention that he had his pit bull with him too.

I never thought I would really have to worry about that kind of shit up there (hour away from the most NW point of the Continental US) I always keep a side arm with me up there as there are cougars (4 and 2 legged kind), Black Bears with cubs that tricky trot through my place, bobcats, Elk, etc. Never thought I would need it for my neighbors up there. I imagine the response time for local LEO to get on scene would be a lot longer than I would be comfortable with out there.

I plan to make sure my neighbor fully understands what exactly my posted signage means this weekend. Once he came out I notice how skittish his pit pull was. I have worked with working dogs a bit in the past. So I tried my luck, this could have gone bad but... within about 15 secs his dog fully submitted to me, fully. It was fantastic. The kid got the hint and stated "I cant believe he just owned your dog like that". When I make contact I will also be curious to see of the dog remembers me still, I think he will. I think the dog wanted to stay with me after that.

So that's my OT story... My wife still has not picked out her sidearm but is very motivated to now. We will practice putting groups of small holes into small groups on paper this weekend too.

Watch you and yours six out there!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News