ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rush R40

For the St Paul show Natural Science and YYZ were added to the set list - along with most of the Tulsa list. Geddy handled signing the old songs very well - better than I expected. Between the Wheels was a surprise to me - and is a fantastic live song. All in all - they delivered a heck of a show - 3 hours FLEW by!

Reactions: bigboxes
I would probably go see Rush, but it would be for the first 8 albums' content, and as a musician, just to watch them put their chops on display.

You should have seen them during their R4 tour.
I've only seen them once, in '79. Apparently this was the set list. I remember almost nothing of the show.

2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
A Passage to Bangkok
By-Tor & The Snow Dog
Xanadu
The Spirit of Radio
(Early version which did not include the final guitar solo)
The Trees
Cygnus X-1
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part II: Apollo
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part III: Dionysus
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part V: Cygnus
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part VI: The Sphere
Closer to the Heart
Freewill
Working Man
Finding My Way
Anthem
Bastille Day
In the Mood
Drum Solo
Encore:
La Villa Strangiato

For the St Paul show Natural Science and YYZ were added to the set list - along with most of the Tulsa list. Geddy handled signing the old songs very well - better than I expected. Between the Wheels was a surprise to me - and is a fantastic live song. All in all - they delivered a heck of a show - 3 hours FLEW by!

Uploading the St. Paul show right now. I did all the ID3 tags (including album art) are done by me. If anyone wants a copy of the show e-mail me at bigboxes1ATyahoo.com (replace AT with @) and I will send you a download link.

You should have seen them during their R4 tour.
I've only seen them once, in '79. Apparently this was the set list. I remember almost nothing of the show.

2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
A Passage to Bangkok
By-Tor & The Snow Dog
Xanadu
The Spirit of Radio
The Trees
Cygnus X-1
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part II: Apollo
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part III: Dionysus
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part V: Cygnus
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part VI: The Sphere
Closer to the Heart
Freewill
Working Man
Finding My Way
Anthem
Bastille Day
In the Mood
Drum Solo
Encore:
La Villa Strangiato

Wow, that would have been a helluva show. I believe they did shows that included all of Side 1 of 2112 and I think all of Moving Pictures. That would have been exceptional.

There is word that a complete show (St.Paul) was taken on video. Was told that it would be 1-2 weeks before something would be shared. It will be perfect timing. I see Rush next Monday evening. I go out of town on business on Wednesday. By the time I get back to town late Sunday evening it should be up for me to grab!

Another tidbit:

"It's actually really cool because the show progresses (regresses) from their current material all the way back to their earliest stuff. So throughout the show they continue to strip away all the more modern stage stuff. In the encore when they do working man, lakeside park, etc. the stage is set to look like a high school gym and Alex and Geddy just have single amps set up."

Just got word that another buddy is going to the Dallas show. And yes, jflores, they are going backwards in time. Three freakin' days!! Woo hoo!

Whatever on the guys stuck in the 70s. Rush has been putting out music even in this decade.

Tonight I'm listening to this boot:

Rush
Better Beer
March 24, 1986
Mecca Arena
Milwaukee, WI

Disc 1:
1. The Spirit Of Radio
2. Limelight
3. The Big Money
4. New World Man
5. Subdivisions
6. Manhattan Project
7. Middletown Dreams
8. Witch Hunt
9. Red Sector A
10. Closer To The Heart
11. Marathon

Disc 2:
1. The Trees
2. Mystic Rhythms
3. Distant Early Warning
4. Territories
5. YYZ - Drum solo
6. Red Lenses
7. Tom Sawyer
8. 2112 Overture
9. The Temples Of Syrinx
10. Grand Designs
11. In The Mood

Sound quality is great for an audience boot. It's one of favorites from the PW tour!

Austin had same setlist as Lincoln. Grabbed the first audio boot from St. Louis this morning. If anyone wants a show that I have please e-mail me. I hear there is a second source out there for St. Louis, but it hasn't been released yet.

I don't debate the relative strength of Rush's catalog....their music appeals to a limited audience. I get that....that audience feels REALLY strong about that music (I happen to be one of them....lol). That said, I accept Rush is not going to appeal to everyone.
There are quite a few country music starts that are huge Rush fans....which I find weird....clearly a large portion of rock bands hold Rush in the highest esteem......if folks in the music industry tell something is good - I tend spend some time to see if I like it (which is how I found Spock's Beard....awesome progressive rock band still cranking out new music)

Clockwork Angles is not my favorite Rush album - but I listen to it often....the Garden is just an incredible piece of music......

Decent stuff.. I think the documentary on Netflix made me start listening to the old stuff again. I'm probably not really into their newer stuff, but I have always been amazed at how very easy they make it look. They are all such accomplished musicians, it's fascinating watching them play.

Their RRHOF induction ceremony still cracks me up. From Alex's bla bla speech to Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins and their "Balls of Fame" comment still makes me laugh when I think about it. Those outfits on 2112 were as campy as it gets.

Here's the stuff that did it for me back in the day..

Leaked set list

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Big Money
Far Cry
One Little Victory
Animate
Roll the Bones
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta/YYZ
The Camera Eye
The Spirit of Radio/Natural Science/Closer to the Heart
Jacob's Ladder
Prelude to Hemispheres/Cygnus X-1

"Note that this is not a comprehensive list, but only songs that have associated background video."

I was there last night.

Not sure where you got that set list, but that isn't what they did. They didn't play Big Money (nothing off of Power Windows, which was a bit of a disappointment) or Camera Eye. And they did Xanadu before playing parts of 2112. The set lists for the tour are on powerwindows.net. Last night in Dallas was set list C, pretty much to the letter.

This was my seventh Rush concert, but my first since Peart's family issues and semi-retirement back in the 90s. It was like hanging out with old friends--a great evening. Lee's voice is really shot--but the musicianship is as tight and precise as always (I'd heard about Peart's medical issues, but he nailed it all night long), and they definitely looked like they were still having fun up there. I enjoyed watching the crew moving things around on the stage (we got the dryers in lieu of Geddy's bass amps, and Alex had statues of dinosaurs behind him in the first set). I love their kinda random Canadian humor.

I had heard that this would be the last really big tour, so I spent a little more than I normally would just to ensure position. And yeah, bought the t-shirt. It was interesting seeing them while sober and not high; that was a Rush concert first for me. And I was surprised to find that I was not on the highest end of the age range. I'm late forties, but there were a lot of dudes older than me in the crowd--and yet, a lot of kids, too. Good to see a younger audience embracing these guys. Two things remain constant--fairly high nerd factor (I saw three guys wearing Marillion t-shirts, which is a vaguely disturbing thing) and I didn't spot one hot woman in the crowd. But I'd pay to do it all over again, no hesitation. My buddy is planning to drive down to Houston for the show tomorrow night.

Last edited:
I just get lost in their music. Like a trip back in time. I've got the audio boots for the Dallas show and Houston. I'm still waiting on the uploader on the St. Paul video. The DVD is out there I'm just being patient for the BluRay, as the source is 720p.

Acquired some more audio boots. Here's what I have so far:

Tulsa, OK (Opening night of tour; have 3 different versions and a matrix boot)
Lincoln, NE
St. Paul, MN (Original boot + remastered version)
St. Louis
Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Atlanta (Two versions)
Greensboro, NC

After the completion of the first leg of the tour still no Austin, New Orleans and Bristow, VA. If anyone wants a copy of any of these shows just email me. After getting back late last night from Houston I finally was able to grab a BluRay of the St. Paul show late last night. Not perfect, but will do until an official release.

I did get Bristow (and a second version) and now acquiring the Columbus show.

Live from Columbus, OH
45_zpsudoomywm.jpg

And Detroit. Toronto is tonight and Friday night. Montreal is after that. I should be visiting my mother and catching the show at the old forum. I wish. So, add Detroit to my list of shows. Only missing Austin and New Orleans on this tour.

Anyone else still following/anticipating this tour? Surely Rush fans are still awaiting their arrival in their metro area. I gave a buddy of mine a copy of the St. Paul show straight to his flash drive. Hi-def and with great sound.

Another FYI, Rush to appear on the cover of Rolling Stone for the first time in two days!

3463.f.jpg

Losing It played for the first time ever, I believe, during the second night in Toronto. Lucky dogs!

Haven't seen any audio yet for the Toronto shows and it's been a week now. I thought for sure it would have been put out sooner. Same with Montreal and Boston, but those shows were so recent.

Thanks for posting Losing It Great song After reading about some of their health issues, I wonder if it has some added meaning to them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT