ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phillies Astroturf May Have Contributed to Brain Cancer in Players

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
sad story

make every playing surface natural yesterday

God knows what breathing in 120-degree ground up tires does to the body (not to mention the 1 additional traumatic lower-body injury doctors have admitted are caused by field turf over the course of a season)

Any athlete I've talked to would much rather play on turf than grass. I know back in my day 80 years ago, grass was the only option, but we've got other options now. As for this article, there's a tendency in scientific studies to find exactly what you're looking for. It's really not that hard to find spurious correlations where no causal relationship actually exists.

Wasn't there a big study that proved that soccer goalies (that play on turf) in particular have a much higher chance of catching brain cancer? The theory was that the rubber chips would get into their hair.

• Wow
Reactions: king_kong_
Wasn't there a big study that proved that soccer goalies (that play on turf) in particular have a much higher chance of catching brain cancer? The theory was that the rubber chips would get into their hair.
I was going to comment on this study. I remember it was in the early years of field turf. I remember the theory was because the goalies were diving all the time to stop shots and may have been inhaling bad stuff.

Reactions: T...Chafes

Reactions: T...Chafes
sad story

make every playing surface natural yesterday

God knows what breathing in 120-degree ground up tires does to the body (not to mention the 1 additional traumatic lower-body injury doctors have admitted are caused by field turf over the course of a season)

There was speculation of a link of natural surfaces and ALS due to fertilizer. TBH these are questions that will never be possible to answer. I certainly wouldn’t ignore the link. I think you’d be surprised how many of those forever chemicals are in your water and subsequently your blood at this time. It’s impossible to escape and no doubt it’s impacting our health.

Reactions: dsmalls3
There was speculation of a link of natural surfaces and ALS due to fertilizer. TBH these are questions that will never be possible to answer. I certainly wouldn’t ignore the link. I think you’d be surprised how many of those forever chemicals are in your water and subsequently your blood at this time. It’s impossible to escape and no doubt it’s impacting our health.
Thanks, Monsanto

I remember the same thing. I believe the study was done in the Pacific Northwest (Washington maybe?) after a couple of high school players contracted some weird cancer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT