ADVERTISEMENT

OT: People Think Kevin Kugler Hates NU?

I generally like Kugler. He's overly talkative for my taste, but not to the Gus Johnson extreme.

When Kugler is paired with Shon Morris, you're definitely in for a talkfest. Morris is knowledgeable and he doesn't play favorites, but my God the guy just cannot shut up.

Nick Bahejay is brutal when he has a sports talk show.
He is horrible on the NU calls as well. He knows basketball but constantly repeats the same ****in thing over and over and over.. Just gets annoying. Also, did you know Sam Hoiberg is coaches kid? It's almost like Matt Millen and his obsession over kids who used to wrestle.

One thing is certain and cannot be denied. Afternoons on 1620 became unlistenable after Kugler left. Holy shit is the stuff after he left a total shit show. Whoever the idiot is on there now, whenever I try to listen, I change my mind after two minutes. It usually is precipitated by dude doing his "wacky old lady" voice whilst trying to be funny. Dude is a tragedy.

I generally like Kugler. He's overly talkative for my taste, but not to the Gus Johnson extreme.

When Kugler is paired with Shon Morris, you're definitely in for a talkfest. Morris is knowledgeable and he doesn't play favorites, but my God the guy just cannot shut up.
Kugler is top notch. I don’t recall him ever playing favorites, like some might suggest.

Some may not like Shon Morris, but i think he is the best color guy on BTN. I generally learn something from him each broadcast — but have had my fill of “shooter’s pocket” for a while (even if it is absolutely true).

Last edited:
I don't think Kugler is biased. And yet, I still find it annoying when someone like him responds to criticism with a "Nebraska fans" type take. Dude, you chose to make your living doing play-by-play. You're gonna get criticism. It's not a "Nebraska fan" thing. I mean, fer christ's sake, you're responding to a guy with the handle "Ultra Mega MAGA semi-fascist."

Kugler is top notch. I don’t recall him ever playing favorites, like some might suggest.

Some may mot like Shon Morris, but i think he is the best color guy on BTN. I generally learn something from him each broadcast — but have had my fill of “shooter’s pocket” for a while (even if it is absolutely true).
Morris has good insights, he just tries to pack 900,000 of them into every game.

On every possession that ends in a basket, he insists on detailing every single thing that went right. When a team doesn't score, he insists on detailing every single thing that went wrong. Sometimes you just have to let people watch the game.

Yes Kugler is awesome. I kind of am starting to like Stephen Bardo more and more.

Still hate the hawks though fellas.

Reactions: nudan92
I don't know how anyone could think he hates NU. I think he's pretty impartial. He has to be. Every once in awhile he'll show he knows more about NU than other commentators without showing favoritism. Maybe some think he needs to be a rah rah guy. He works for fox/btn...not husker network.

Keep up the good work kugler

Yes Kugler is awesome. I kind of am starting to like Stephen Bardo more and more.

Still hate the hawks though fellas.

Prior to this year, Bardo made my ears bleed. However, he has grown on me this season for some reason. Maybe because he does a better job explaining things (actually providing color commentary) or because Huskers have been competitive in almost every game and he has to compliment both teams???

I think they all saw what happened to the sacrificial lamb.....trev Alberts

Kugler great Bahe is a jay that’s all that needs to be said about this. 1620 radio become unlistenable when Kugler left and bahe came in.

I always thought big red wrap up had good hosts. but with the net, it's not as good of show because you already know alot of what they are going to say.

if I remember right it's dolman who went to a&m, and now is a guest on hail varsity
then kugler who did a good job.
now the new guy who is ok, he sure seemed to know alot about frost's business...

I can't remember, was there someone else besides them guys?

Last edited:
He is horrible on the NU calls as well. He knows basketball but constantly repeats the same ****in thing over and over and over.. Just gets annoying. Also, did you know Sam Hoiberg is coaches kid? It's almost like Matt Millen and his obsession over kids who used to wrestle.
I always enjoy Matt Millen’s love fest for burkhead during the osu comeback

Unsportsman like conduct was the best sportstalk radio in Omaha ever. Omaha was fortunate to have Kugler as long as we did. Love his play by play now to.
Totally agree.

USC is not even close to as good now. Kugler and Severe (I know people didn't like him) were a good combo.

Reactions: WHCSC
I always enjoy Matt Millen’s love fest for burkhead during the osu comeback
the greatest thing I ever seen was John Milton on the old cornhusker football show, walk up to the camera and told every NU fan to get on their knees and be thankful for the players we had...

I found it a bit outlandish at the time, but looking back he made a good point.

Kugler is definitely a very good broadcaster and pxp guy. No doubt. I think, however, he’s a bit goofy too often with some of his small talk. JMO. I’m sure he was knowledgeable on USC, but he was paired with that jackarse severe, so I never cared to listen. Also, I’m fine with Bahe. He sucks as a talk show host. But I think he is a decent color guy. I don’t find any bias with him at all.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
The guy before usc Conner and his clown screener is bad really hard to listen to
Yeah, the use of the producer/screener is getting old. I get that Rome did it and he is the biggest name in sports radio and has been for the last 25 years...but just because it worked for him doesn't mean that EVERY host has to do it now.

Kugler has improved his presentation over the last couple of years. He does a great job and is one of the smartest guys in the business. Always prepared.
I agree that he’s very good at what he can control. I don’t think he gets much further with that voice. Nebraska beating Miami in 2014 is just not the same if it was Kugler instead of Tessitore. Loved that game and Joe calling it!

I agree that he’s very good at what he can control. I don’t think he gets much further with that voice. Nebraska beating Miami in 2014 is just not the same if it was Kugler instead of Tessitore. Loved that game and Joe calling it!
I would disagree. His voice isn’t problematic for me at all. Many won’t have a problem with it, I’m guessing, as long as what comes out of his mouth is good. He still has a lot of upward mobility in his future in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT