ADVERTISEMENT

OT- On this date in 1988 Pistol Pete Maravich died. :(

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
That dude had the most skills I ever saw in college. The things he did with the ball can not even be put into video games. There was a movie about him called "The Pistol" it was good.

Last edited:
:)

Don’t you know it one of the all time greatest to play the game, LaBron could only dream of handling and Passing the ball as well as Pete..
Was one of the saddest days of my life when he passed away..
There is another movie coming out about Pete but it still is in the working stages..

Thanks for posting bomber89

To bad he got stuck with a crappy team most of his professional career, Didn't the celtics acquire his to try and get him a championship ring in the latter part of his career?

To bad he got stuck with a crappy team most of his professional career, Didn't the celtics acquire his to try and get him a championship ring in the latter part of his career?

Yes,but by that time his knees were giving out and he had to except coming off the bench and helping win a title but it never happened..

Reactions: mmunso7
I got to watch him live in Omaha back in the day when the Jazz played the Kings, it was in 1974 I think. That Jazz team sucked but he was a an amazing player.

That Kings team had Tiny Archibald, Sam Lacy, Jalen Rose’s dad Jimmy Walker and the current coach of the Houston Rocket, Mike Dantoni. Oh and Scott Wedman.

Reactions: scarletred
I loved Pistol Pete. I remember the shock when I heard he's died. Didn't really start playing basketball until my senior year in HS and then played lots of basketball with friends on the NU team in college. Always wore floppy socks.

Last edited:
Oscar Roberson hated Pete for breaking his scoring record and never said one nice thing about him..

Oscar was lucky enough to have Kareem Abdul Jabber to help him win a NBA title or he would have never won either..

Reactions: bomber89
I got to watch him live in Omaha back in the day when the Jazz played the Kings, it was in 1974 I think. That Jazz team sucked but he was a an amazing player.

That Kings team had Tiny Archibald, Sam Lacy, Jalen Rose’s dad Jimmy Walker and the current coach of the Houston Rocket, Mike Dantoni. Oh and Scott Wedman.

Me too, I seen him every time with the Hawks and the Jazz and was lucky enough to get his autograph waiting
for him to come out of the locker... Was lucky my father had enough patience to wait with me at the time...

:)

Don’t you know it one of the all time greatest to play the game, LaBron could only dream of handling and Passing the ball as well as Pete..
Was one of the saddest days of my life when he passed away..
There is another movie coming out about Pete but it still is in the working stages..

Thanks for posting bomber89
I don't remember Pete ever bragging about his skills. Sure as hell can't say that about LaB. Pete WAS one of the greatest of all time.

My favorite Pistol story is when he dropped 68 on the Knicks in77. There was a lot of Knicks (Clyde Frazier) fans at my HS at that time and it was nice to heckle them about Pistol destroying their boys. I read that Pete wanted a little revenge on two Knicks in particular. Frazier and Dean “the Dream” Meminger. Frazier because he talked about Pete being overrated when he first came into the league and Meminger for saying pretty much the same thing when he (Marquette) outplayed Pete in the NIT (I believe).

It took awhile for Pete to get full vindication, but I’m sure it was sweet. Now at this stage of his career Pistol had been slowed considerably by the knee injuries thus was leaning heavily mid to deep jumpers. The majority of his points i this game was 15-20 jumpers. I read the early in the game when Pete started cooking Clyde asked Monroe to switch on to him and Earl reportedly said you’re the defense wizard...you guard him lol.

Anyway below. are a few of the post game comments....

The Knicks, afterward, were spellbound by the performance.

Bob McAdoo, the Knicks starting center and a three-time NBA scoring champion, said, “He was shooting from everywhere: every corner of the court, fast breaks, set plays. The man beat us by himself."

Knicks guard Earl Monroe: “There was no way we could stop him. The Pistol was hot tonight, he was really going off. The thing that came to mind was that he was hitting shots from everywhere. Unconscionable shots”

I loved the Pistol as well, but don’t kid yourself... he had him an ego☺️

I would too if I practiced at his profession longer then anyone else in the modern era... He had belief in his skills..

He did his talking on the floor and didn’t tell anyone he was the greatest and gloat, he invented things no player ever seen before..

Pete was phenomenal. He averaged 44 points in college and without a 3 point line. A statistician later watched all of his games and concluded that the pistol would have averaged 13 three pointers made per game which would have bumped his average to 57. Unreal!!! And the craziest thing is that scoring wasn’t his greatest attribute, it was passing and ball handling.

Pete was phenomenal. He averaged 44 points in college and without a 3 point line. A statistician later watched all of his games and concluded that the pistol would have averaged 13 three pointers made per game which would have bumped his average to 57. Unreal!!! And the craziest thing is that scoring wasn’t his greatest attribute, it was passing and ball handling.

I believe it was Dale Brown ex-LSU Head Coach that went threw all his collegiate games and determaimed that he would have averaged that if they had the 3 point line...

Only that can come close to this day is far as shooting and ball handling is Stephen Curry, who I heard he had 10 3 pointers and 42 points in last night’s game..

Read a great bio
I believe it was Dale Brown ex-LSU Head Coach that went threw all his collegiate games and determaimed that he would have averaged that if they had the 3 point line...

Only that can come close to this day is far as shooting and ball handling is Stephen Curry, who I heard he had 10 3 pointers and 42 points in last night’s game..
Read a great biography on the Pistol. Gifted but played at the wrong time with the wrong team. Crazy upbringing and life as a coaches son. Sports and people’s lives in general were not as tidy in the old days as they are now.
The race discussion is off base. The book points out that blacks in general looked up to Maravich and his game as it ushered in the style of the NBA that persists even today.

Read a great bio

Read a great biography on the Pistol. Gifted but played at the wrong time with the wrong team. Crazy upbringing and life as a coaches son. Sports and people’s lives in general were not as tidy in the old days as they are now.
The race discussion is off base. The book points out that blacks in general looked up to Maravich and his game as it ushered in the style of the NBA that persists even today.

Excellent Post, Sir..

Reactions: bomber89
Sure did... Quite a bit . Maybe a top 10 player of all time but putting him ahead of LeBron or Jordan is foolish.. As offensively gifted as he was there is a defensive aspect that isn't being discussed

Sure did... Quite a bit . Maybe a top 10 player of all time but putting him ahead of LeBron or Jordan is foolish.. As offensively gifted as he was there is a defensive aspect that isn't being discussed

I don’t believe you have, your just lieing and admitting you have...

A lot of the great’s are known for their offense ability and not defensive...

Other Wise Walt Clyde Frazier would be known as one of the greatest along with Bill Russel..

By the way Pete and his all time NBA high against Frazier...

I’d say Stephen Curry is a better Basketball player than La Bron too... Shooting, passing, ball handing not one of those things James is better than Stephen or the Pistol...

Last edited:
Reactions: mmunso7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT