ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ok HOL gym heroes

jflores

Offensive Coordinator
Feb 3, 2004
Cast iron, rubber or urethane weight plates? What do you like to put on the bar before you throw down four fiddy for warm up bench reps?

My dream has always been Ivanko urethane plates but they are twelve to sixteen weeks out Made To Order due to covid demand of workout gear. Looks like cast iron would be available end of July. Might have to settle.

I do something similar to this

MAIN-Really-proud-of-my-effort-in-the-Viking-Press-at-The-Worlds-Strongest-Man-I-completed-15-reps-but-t.jpg

Cast iron, rubber or urethane weight plates? What do you like to put on the bar before you throw down four fiddy for warm up bench reps?

My dream has always been Ivanko urethane plates but they are twelve to sixteen weeks out Made To Order due to covid demand of workout gear. Looks like cast iron would be available end of July. Might have to settle.

If you’re not dropping the bar regular cast iron is fine

The gym I go to has both. The rubber ones are definitely more popular.

I will say though, if you load up the bar like I do, you’ll need irons. The rubbers are too thick and there isn’t enough room on the bar. You’re only fitting four rubber on a side, five max. So when I decide to bulk up I have to switch to irons.

If you're doing olympic lifts where you touch the plates to the floor I can see the rubberized plates being nice. I don't do those so I have metal ones and some metal adjustable dumbbells

Nothing beats old fashioned York Standard plates. The 45s are 1.5 inches thick. The Ivankos are 2" as are most others and the Rogues are even more. Some machines don't have real long spindles, like 9 inches, so you can get only 4 Ivankos on the spindle, but you can get 6 Yorks on there. If you have trouble lifting them with the narrow lip on the York 45s, then you should probably rethink handling 45s.

Reactions: nu2u and jflores
Nothing beats old fashioned York Standard plates. The 45s are 1.5 inches thick. The Ivankos are 2" as are most others and the Rogues are even more. Some machines don't have real long spindles, like 9 inches, so you can get only 4 Ivankos on the spindle, but you can get 6 Yorks on there. If you have trouble lifting them with the narrow lip on the York 45s, then you should probably rethink handling 45s.

Yah I'm just doing a power rack and a deadlift platform...no machines.

It's so cool to go to the gym and have such beautiful results. Personally, I've been going to the gym for a long time, but now with all this coronavirus situation, I practice at home because I have no choice, I don't want to risk going to the gym somewhere. Of course, it's harder but I can handle it, in addition, I am helped by a program that I found by chance on the internet - The Noom food program , where besides the fact that it teaches me how to eat correctly, it also helps me with the exercises I want. Finally, I'm waiting for this pandemic to pass sooner and for me to go to the gym.

Last edited:

Where are you getting cast iron at right now? I have been looking around and either nothing is available or insanely over-priced.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
Where are you getting cast iron at right now? I have been looking around and either nothing is available or insanely over-priced.

It's been awhile since i made this thread but at the time ironcompany.com was expecting a shipment of Ivanko cast iron towards the middle of July.

Ivanko being what it is it's not a cheap option anyway. I ended up ordering urethane coated direct from ivanko so it'll be another few weeks before I get it.

Reactions: WHCSC
It's so cool to go to the gym and have such beautiful results. Personally, I've been going to the gym for a long time, but now with all this coronavirus situation, I practice at home because I have no choice, I don't want to risk going to the gym somewhere. Of course, it's harder but I can handle it, in addition, I am helped by a program that I found by chance on the internet - The Noom food program , where besides the fact that it teaches me how to eat correctly, it also helps me with the exercises I want. Finally, I'm waiting for this pandemic to pass sooner and for me to go to the gym.

Go to the gym, they're open just for you:

thumb_diet_memes.jpg

Depends on what youre doing. Olympic lifting definitely go with rubber. If youre just doing general strength and conditioning iron is fine. Check out garage gyms on youtube theyve got some really cool ideas on there.

I just recently started going to the gym, so everything is difficult for me now. Everything is new to me. I always listen to the instructions of my coach. He says that I'm succeeding. This, of course, makes me laugh. I constantly whine that I can no longer do exercises, and I should continue to be very thin. In the end, the trainer offered me peptides for rapid muscle growth from here kaotikpeptides.com. I also decided to take it to increase immunity so that the body recovers faster. I would like to know your progress as well.

Last edited:
We bought a Peloton about a year ago and I freaking love the thing. We also have a high dollar treadmill that I never use and bunches of other gym equipment that I use sparingly, but love the Peloton. Well worth the money if you want a really good bike.

We bought a Peloton about a year ago and I freaking love the thing. We also have a high dollar treadmill that I never use and bunches of other gym equipment that I use sparingly, but love the Peloton. Well worth the money if you want a really good bike.
First, this is the most honest post in this thread.

Second, like you said, most home gym shit ends up sitting there with clothes on them. Don't buy home gym shit, in the long run you won't use 99% of it.

I have heard nothing but good things about Peloton.

First, this is the most honest post in this thread.

Second, like you said, most home gym shit ends up sitting there with clothes on them. Don't buy home gym shit, in the long run you won't use 99% of it.

I have heard nothing but good things about Peloton.

It depends on the motivation of the person.
I love my home gym. I have a 10x10 Dollamur flexiroll mats, a 100lbs heavy bag hanging from my support beam, jump rope, adjustable dumbbells, etc…
I run in the mornings & spar 4 days a week. So being able to go into my home gym before the kids wake up or when I get a chance during the day is a game changer.
I can do my standup conditioning without leaving home. 3 rounds jump ropes, 3 rounds shadow boxing, 4 rounds bag work.
I can get my lift in at home in 30 minutes & be done with that. I run outside or at the local Y (which I can swim laps at too). When I want to spar or roll (I’m a blackbelt in BJJ), I dont have to go to my gym, my training partners come over since the 10x10 flexiroll mats are perfect for two people to roll or to spar.

Having my home gym saves me a lot of time & makes it easier to get 30 minutes in that I would normally not have time to do. That way I only have to actually go to my gym 3-4 times a week for team sparring/rolling sessions. I get 95% of my work in at home.

Reactions: bigboxes
My wife is planning on getting a Peloton. Post first child pregnancy purchase. Has it in the cart online, just has to hit purchase. She'll have that and I'll have my garage Powerlifting gym.

Reactions: leodisflowers
It depends on the motivation of the person.
I love my home gym. I have a 10x10 Dollamur flexiroll mats, a 100lbs heavy bag hanging from my support beam, jump rope, adjustable dumbbells, etc…
I run in the mornings & spar 4 days a week. So being able to go into my home gym before the kids wake up or when I get a chance during the day is a game changer.
I can do my standup conditioning without leaving home. 3 rounds jump ropes, 3 rounds shadow boxing, 4 rounds bag work.
I can get my lift in at home in 30 minutes & be done with that. I run outside or at the local Y (which I can swim laps at too). When I want to spar or roll (I’m a blackbelt in BJJ), I dont have to go to my gym, my training partners come over since the 10x10 flexiroll mats are perfect for two people to roll or to spar.

Having my home gym saves me a lot of time & makes it easier to get 30 minutes in that I would normally not have time to do. That way I only have to actually go to my gym 3-4 times a week for team sparring/rolling sessions. I get 95% of my work in at home.
I swear I love this post but I also want to make fun of you for it...Hahaha

Reactions: WHCSC
I swear I love this post but I also want to make fun of you for it...Hahaha
You can make fun of me. I fought professional for 7 years, and people on the internet constantly tried to get under my skin. My sparring partner, teammate & friend coming up was Chris Lytle. He was the most laid back human I’ve ever met. I learned from him not to let silliness bother me. Over the years I’ve been teammates or trained with over 100 people who fought in the UFC, Pride, Bellator, Strikeforce, ect…
I’m used to people badmouthing me.

Reactions: MargotDeeper
You can make fun of me. I fought professional for 7 years, and people on the internet constantly tried to get under my skin. My sparring partner, teammate & friend coming up was Chris Lytle. He was the most laid back human I’ve ever met. I learned from him not to let silliness bother me. Over the years I’ve been teammates or trained with over 100 people who fought in the UFC, Pride, Bellator, Strikeforce, ect…
I’m used to people badmouthing me.
I promise to never make fun of you sir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT