ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nintendo Switch Games for My Sons

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
I ordered a Nintendo Switch for my sons, ages 5 and 9, for Christmas. Any game recommendations? Also are the games downloaded or how does that work? Last time I had a Nintendo product was the original Super Nintendo.

I am turning 40 in a few months, and my gaming days ended about 15 years ago. I am out of date on this topic.

I don’t have a lot of knowledge about Switch games, but I do have a Switch and will say, just about any Mario game out there is more than likely appropriate and playable by at least your 9 year old. I’m getting my 7 year old nephew Mario Party Superstars. I would recommend getting Mario Kart. I think both of your kids would enjoy it.

Games for 5 Year Olds

Last edited:
Pokemon is also big. Another one just released. Can buy cartridges (tiny) or digital. Have to pay to monthly or yearly service. I believe. I rarely use mine so i dont remember exactly. Think i paid 20 bucks for the whole year. Free playing digital nes and snes games.

Reactions: Clevinger
I ordered a Nintendo Switch for my sons, ages 5 and 9, for Christmas. Any game recommendations? Also are the games downloaded or how does that work? Last time I had a Nintendo product was the original Super Nintendo.

I am turning 40 in a few months, and my gaming days ended about 15 years ago. I am out of date on this topic.
Smash is what they play in high school for esports.

Reactions: Clevinger
Love the Switch. I’ve had one for 5 years. The nice thing about the Switch is you can buy the physical small cartridges and insert them into the console, or you can download the games all digitally. You will want to get a MicroSD card if you go the digital route. I have both digital and physical games so it’s a mix of the two routes.

Here are my recommendations:

Mario Kart 8 (multi-player)
Smash Bros Ultimate (multi-player)
Super Mario Odyssey (1-player)
Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga (1-2–player game; if they like Legos or Lego Movies they’ll love it)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (1-player game; my favorite game overall; for the 9y/o, or for you when they’re asleep!)
Minecraft (don’t have this game but lots of kids love it)
Sonic Frontiers (also don’t have this but have heard awesome things)
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Lastly, you could ask them what looks cool to them - more action fighting games or more story mode/role playing games.

Love the Switch. I’ve had one for 5 years. The nice thing about the Switch is you can buy the physical small cartridges and insert them into the console, or you can download the games all digitally. You will want to get a MicroSD card if you go the digital route. I have both digital and physical games so it’s a mix of the two routes.

Here are my recommendations:

Mario Kart 8 (multi-player)
Smash Bros Ultimate (multi-player)
Super Mario Odyssey (1-player)
Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga (1-2–player game; if they like Legos or Lego Movies they’ll love it)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (1-player game; my favorite game overall; for the 9y/o, or for you when they’re asleep!)
Minecraft (don’t have this game but lots of kids love it)
Sonic Frontiers (also don’t have this but have heard awesome things)
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Lastly, you could ask them what looks cool to them - more action fighting games or more story mode/role playing games.
I feel like I’m the only person in the world that didn’t like BotW.

Reactions: HuskAir
A sincere thank you for all the replies.

Based on this thread, I just got Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart Deluxe. Super Smash Brothers wasn’t on my radar at all, but after reading through this, I plan to get that as well.

The 9 year is really into baseball. I was looking at RBI Baseball, but I have heard The Show 2022 is coming out in April and to wait for that.

Again, I really appreciate the replies. I feel so out of date with video games.

You need to add Mario Odyssey and Mario bowsers Fury/3D. Both are fantastic. Zelda is a bit much for a 5 year old but is maybe the best game of all time.

You need to add Mario Odyssey and Mario bowsers Fury/3D. Both are fantastic. Zelda is a bit much for a 5 year old but is maybe the best game of all time.
The nine year old liked the Super Nintendo version of Zelda, so it will probably go over well.

I feel like I’m the only person in the world that didn’t like BotW.
I’ve had a buddy say he didn’t like it much either, and he had some good points. It’s a different kind of open-world game than traditional Zelda fans are used to.

Tons of NES, SNES, N64 and Sega games to stream on the switch if you want to kick it old school. Kids these days can’t handle TMNT though. Brutal game.

Well there's always Pokémon. I got the new game recently for my son... er I mean nephew... er I mean friends' kid. Totally not for me at my age. Some day I'll grow up. Maybe. But not today. Lolz. The new games are fun but have some bugs and performance issues.

There's always Mario as well and from my understanding they still put out quality games. And you can buy packages for the older games for classics such as Super Mario 64 that have been ported to Switch.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1-2 have also been ported for a bit more grown up game/story. A lot of fun but better on the PC. Same goes with Civilization 5/Civ 6 (I prefer 5) which have also been ported. I don't know what their performance is like on switch but I'm assuming that's another one better for PC.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT