ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Rooney Rule Update

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
So the NFL has apparently approved a plan to further incentivize minority hiring/Rooney Rule.

The gist: A team that loses a minority assistant coach who becomes a head coach or loses a personnel executive who becomes a general manager will receive third-round compensatory picks in each of the next two drafts.

Seems dumb. You really think an NFL exec/owner is going to make this level of hire based on getting a couple of 3rd round picks in tow? I think they will (and should) hire the best available person for the job. Period. And don't give me any of that "well if two candidates were equally qualified..." Not for this level of job.

So the NFL has apparently approved a plan to further incentivize minority hiring/Rooney Rule.

The gist: A team that loses a minority assistant coach who becomes a head coach or loses a personnel executive who becomes a general manager will receive third-round compensatory picks in each of the next two drafts.

Seems dumb. You really think an NFL exec/owner is going to make this level of hire based on getting a couple of 3rd round picks in tow? I think they will (and should) hire the best available person for the job. Period. And don't give me any of that "well if two candidates were equally qualified..." Not for this level of job.

Specifically addressing your "not for this level of job" sentiment. Leaving the minority part out of it.

Its not always clear cut. If you look at what folks want out of a HC at NU, there are maybe 3 guys available that meet the "required" criteria (basically Meyer, Saban, Swinney). But we can't have them so we move into the next group that are missing something (championship level experience, big time program experience, whatever).

So you are always rolling the dice on something. Frost got bonus points for being the hometown guy and a hot name at the time, even if his resume wasn't particularly deep in areas. Other guys are going to have other holes that get yolo'd over.

Someone like Scott Frost and Mike Norvell are roughly similar candidates...its a matter of picking which deficiencies you can live with. If one of them is black, so be it, but the condition of equivalence can exist.

Probably more true at the NFL level. There's a couple hundred college head coaches. They all be come "yolo" to some degree when the NFL tries to assimilate them, and anyone who has extensive NFL experience is mostly likely a coordinator or position coach with a bunch of other question marks that a college HC might not have.

The other thing you should realize is that this affects the losing organization, not the hiring one. The incentive is to develop minority folks on your staff for higher level positions (either with your own organization, but most likely a different one), not just simply hire more minorities.

The only way you get anything is if a minority on your staff moves onward and upwards. You can't hire your way to compensatory picks.

I cannot wrap my brain around hiring people based on gender and or skin color and when I see stuff like this I wonder if it dawns on the people passing this garbage that you are basically telling minorities you think they're to dumb to land the job so they have to pay people to hire you.

I cannot wrap my brain around hiring people based on gender and or skin color and when I see stuff like this I wonder if it dawns on the people passing this garbage that you are basically telling minorities you think they're to dumb to land the job so they have to pay people to hire you.

You can tell by my last name here that I'm not totally unbiased in this opinion but my feelings on affirmative action have ebbed and flowed. Undoubtedly I've benefit from it, and there's a part of me that recognizes that if it weren't there, those places would be a little more white than they already are. But there is a cost associated to that, and it really becomes and individual judgement whether say my personal presence there was of enough value to warrant the cost involved, say.

Just hire the best person for the job. If you are telling yourself that "everything else is equal..." then you haven't thoroughly evaluated them. It's that simple.

My white grandfather started out at 16 digging ditches for MUD in Omaha. He retired a plant foreman in a cush office job after MUD helped him go back and get his GED because it was required. My father has been in construction for 40 years and there are similar efforts to get jobsite workers into programs/tracks to be competitive for better paying office jobs with more responsibility.

In those cases, the business organization decided it was of value to offer blue collar workers a better shot when they could have easily gone out and imported a number of highly qualified already white collar workers. It sees value in vesting the blue collar workforce in the company though.

I hope the NFL is doing something similar here with black players making up most of their "blue collar" workforce.

Just hire the best person for the job. If you are telling yourself that "everything else is equal..." then you haven't thoroughly evaluated them. It's that simple.

Not really. Its why a bunch of blowhards can make a damn good living writing articles called "First downs and Second Guesses".

Quit F -ing around and just mandate that the percentage of minorities on the roster needs to match the percentage of minorities on your coaching staff

• Wow
Reactions: WHCSC
shouldn't the Rooney rule include LBGT's as well? If the NFL embraces intersectionality then lets not leave anybody out.

Reactions: RedMyMind
shouldn't the Rooney rule include LBGT's as well? If the NFL embraces intersectionality then lets not leave anybody out.
tumblr_inline_oucnu7nS7g1svmw87_540.png

Rules like this are put in place when they are not hiring the best person for the job. Oh and draft picks are like Gold to GMs. A couple extra 3rd rounders can go along way. patriots built a dynasty on piling late round picks.

Or maybe they are admitting that white privilege exist, which is blatantly obvious to everyone but full time KKK members.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Rules like this are put in place when they are not hiring the best person for the job. Oh and draft picks are like Gold to GMs. A couple extra 3rd rounders can go along way. patriots built a dynasty on piling late round picks.
No. Rules like this are made when a narrative is being forced into a situation, where it doesn't belong.

This is stupid. It actually does the opposite of what it wants to do - and what it wants to do is incredibly racist anyway.

But for example, if I'm Houston or even the Jets, why the hell would I hire Eric Bienemy now? Even if he was my top candidate? All that does is give the Chiefs 3rd round picks. Houston is trying to catch the Chiefs not help them out, so why give the Chiefs picks when I can just hire one of my other candidates who doesn't' give the opponent free picks instead?

Hire the best person available. Simple. Isn't that what equality is?? Why would you hire anyone based on race or sex??

Reactions: otismotis08
This is stupid. It actually does the opposite of what it wants to do - and what it wants to do is incredibly racist anyway.

But for example, if I'm Houston or even the Jets, why the hell would I hire Eric Bienemy now? Even if he was my top candidate? All that does is give the Chiefs 3rd round picks. Houston is trying to catch the Chiefs not help them out, so why give the Chiefs picks when I can just hire one of my other candidates who doesn't' give the opponent free picks instead?
Um, because Andy Reid's coaching tree is pretty good and the Bienemy is worth it. No one's going to make a decision to not hire him because the Chiefs would get a couple of third Rounders. They need to look long-term, not in the interim.

Um, because Andy Reid's coaching tree is pretty good and the Bienemy is worth it. No one's going to make a decision to not hire him because the Chiefs would get a couple of third Rounders. They need to look long-term, not in the interim.
Just like nobody should be hiring because he's a minority. Hire him (or someone else) because he's the best available.

Just like nobody should be hiring because he's a minority. Hire him (or someone else) because he's the best available.
He'll get a job this off-season. Houston would be a great choice. Maybe he can save Watson's career

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT