ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New England summer vacation

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
Considering family vacation in either Maine or New Hampshire or Vermont.

I have spent a lot of time in Maine (Acadia, Camden, Bath, Bar Harbor… etc). So I know we’d have fun and see beautiful things there.

But was curious if either Vermont or New Hampshire would be worthwhile destinations for summer vacation? We like hiking and nature. But kids get bored with that so thought the Maine ocean would be fun for kids. Any thoughts on VT or NH?

Reactions: king_kong_

I have spent a lot of time in Maine (Acadia, Camden, Bath, Bar Harbor… etc). So I know we’d have fun and see beautiful things there.

But was curious if either Vermont or New Hampshire would be worthwhile destinations for summer vacation? We like hiking and nature. But kids get bored with that so thought the Maine ocean would be fun for kids. Any thoughts on VT or NH?
I’d be interested in your Maine travels, have been wanting to take the wife for awhile, if you only had 3-4 days is it doable and worth it?

I’d be interested in your Maine travels, have been wanting to take the wife for awhile, if you only had 3-4 days is it doable and worth it?
My wife and I went 2 years ago. Flew into Bangor, drove to Bar Harbor, spent 3 days hiking in Acadia and eating/drinking in bar Harbor. Ate lobster every meal. I love Acadia… but you got to hit trails early because it’s so crowded and parking is limited at each trailhead.

Stopped at Stephen Kings house on way out. It’s a trip. Tons of weirdos hanging outside

you can visit all the spots where Joe's fallen lol.
a26e206672f5bb11efa9c088264bfb65.gif

Vermont and new Hampshire are far more beautiful than Maine. But the coast of Maine is more fun if you enjoy the social scene. You can’t go wrong but it may depend on what you want to do for fun. I just drove from Concord, NH to Albany, NY this afternoon. Beautiful drive

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Vermont and new Hampshire are far more beautiful than Maine. But the coast of Maine is more fun if you enjoy the social scene. You can’t go wrong but it may depend on what you want to do for fun. I just drove from Concord, NH to Albany, NY this afternoon. Beautiful drive
So where in VT or NH would you go? What to do?

Highly dependent on what you want to do.

1.Maine is great for a variety of reasons. Sounds like you have the nature/outdoors part covered. Portland is a great town and worth a day or two if you like harbor towns, great food and GREAT beer. I can give you a long list of recs if you’re interested

2. Vermont is a lot of fun. I’m more familiar with Burlington. Great town that has turned a little too grunge since Covid. Still plenty to see. Still a lot of nature in the area. Lake Champlain is amazing. Hill farmstead is a short drive and was once ranked the best brewery in the world.

3. Not on your list, but Newport Rhode Island is one of my favorite places. Cliff walk. Mansions. Beaches available. Just a great tourist town to soak in some great gatsby style surrounded by million dollar yachts. Don’t be afraid to take a day tour of block island. Fun 40 minute ferry ride and a cool island known for yachting and mudslides.

4. Boston is a great historical city if you’ve never been. It’s become a little less charming with the recent explosion of new real estate, but the freedom trail and all that history is still there.

Reactions: Lars72
What do your kids like to do? The Maine ocean is not a beach lover or friendly swimming ocean.

If your kids like the outdoors, hiking, fishing, etc., then you have good options. Maine's south to mid coast is quite touristy, unless you go out of your way to find quiet, secluded spots, such as smaller fishing villages.

If your kids are outdoorsy, then Vermont and NH might be better, unless you go into the Maine woods. I prefer the Maine woods, which has some really remote and secluded stuff, but if your kids aren't into that sort of thing, they will dictate your plans.

So where in VT or NH would you go? What to do?
Montpeilier in VT is amazing. Really pretty area too. Then the White mountains in NH are majestic. Mt Washington area.

Burlington is great too. If you like IPA beer VT has the best in the world.

There are only 40 miles of ocean beach in New Hampshire but they are great. Terrific swimming and better beach by far than Maine (although i like the Maine woods better), The nearest town is Hampton Beach, NH

Old Orchard Beach is pretty "beachy" and has an old school amusement park.

Disagree -love Maine. Vermont and New Hampshire are great in the fall (colors) but much favor Maine.

Reactions: Hoboken Joe and c3o
Maine, NH and Vermont from a beauty/scenery perspective all qualify as one of the many, many places I've visited and said to my wife, "Why the hell do we live in Nebraska?" I'm always like, "Wow, people get to live here."

Nebraska is fine, glad I live here, but the one thing that brings me down in SE Nebraska is the stark lack of recreational water.

Reactions: c3o
Disagree -love Maine. Vermont and New Hampshire are great in the fall (colors) but much favor Maine.
Drove the White Mountains in winter once. Hard to match that beauty as you see Colorado type mountains but because the base is at sea level, they mostly remain under the tree line. Very cool.

There's also a mountain in eastern Maine that shoots up a mile. It's like their mini Mt Rainer and doesn't seem to make sense off in the horizon.

Nothing touches the combination of food and IPA beer that you get in these 3 states, if that's your flavor

Maine, NH and Vermont from a beauty/scenery perspective all qualify as one of the many, many places I've visited and said to my wife, "Why the hell do we live in Nebraska?" I'm always like, "Wow, people get to live here."

Nebraska is fine, glad I live here, but the one thing that brings me down in SE Nebraska is the stark lack of recreational water.
there are a lot of detracting issues as well. Overpopulation, cost of living, taxes, over regulation, an out of date infra structure, and general assholery of the people in New England take a lot away from the scenery. There’s a lot to do, but it’s either expensive, over run with people or (frequently) both. There are areas in Vermont/NH/Maine that aren’t crowded but you lose a lot of civilization as a consequence.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT