ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Netflix recommendation… if you don’t mind watching a show that will convince you humanity is doomed (with a Lincoln, Nebraska mention) check out…

SantaBarbaraSker

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2005
Where ever my wife tells me to be.
the documentary Killer Robots.

Pretty sobering stuff. Focuses on the use of artificial intelligence/robots/drones in warfare.

Fascinating how they took a top gun pilot in an F-16 simulator and put him up against an AI piloted F 16, which learned battle tactics over the course of studying millions of flight scenarios through machine learning. The top gun pilot was something like 0-20 in dog fights... didn’t win a single battle against AI.

There was also a Lincoln, Nebraska mention during the part about developers studying drone swarming… which is essentially training drones to fly autonomously in a large group, yet reacting together as one…something like when you see a big cloud of blackbirds or starlings.

Was interesting watching with my wife, who is an aerospace engineer for the Raytheon corporation in the “dark programs” of there electronic warfare division. She was oddly interested yet silent during pretty much the entire viewing. She obviously can’t speak of what’s going on at her job, but her intense interest and silence spoke volumes.

Perhaps the most troubling segment was with some bio engineer/medical researchers, who are using AI to further medical advances, and then came to the realization that someone could use the same technology for nefarious purposes. They were asked to produce a paper on the subject, and by changing the single zero to a one in the coding, they reversed the process and asked the AI to create harmful molecules. The next morning they came in and the computer spit out 40 deadly sequences that could be produced to wipe out humanity.

Anyway, if your in to this kind of thing, it’s extremely interesting albeit troubling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News