ADVERTISEMENT

OT--mountain/outdoorsy vacation ideas

HuskerPAC

Walk On
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2018
Looking for recommendations. We were supposed to go to Nashville for my wife's 30th back in May but that obviously didn't happen. Kind of switching gears now to something more outdoor/woodsy/secluded as we don't think going to a city right now is smart and won't yield the same experience.

Live in Central NE, not looking to drive more than 8 hours. Also, will be taking an 11 month old for better or worse.

Have been looking at both Rapid City/Deadwood areas in South Dakota. Estes in Colorado. Any other similar places you all have gone to and enjoyed?

Looking for recommendations. We were supposed to go to Nashville for my wife's 30th back in May but that obviously didn't happen. Kind of switching gears now to something more outdoor/woodsy/secluded as we don't think going to a city right now is smart and won't yield the same experience.

Live in Central NE, not looking to drive more than 8 hours. Also, will be taking an 11 month old for better or worse.

Have been looking at both Rapid City/Deadwood areas in South Dakota. Estes in Colorado. Any other similar places you all have gone to and enjoyed?
Fort Robinson State Park

Reactions: HuskerPAC
I especially like this option. In September, could take my bow and sneak away to hunt antelope for a bit.
Fort Robinson is one of the best state parks in the entire country. Aside from the beauty, the history there is amazing and palpable.

It's also an easy 1.5 hour drive from Fort Robinson to the Black Hills. If you decide on the Black Hills (which I recommend, given that I have chosen to live here), check out the State Game Lodge in Custer State Park.

Fort Robinson is one of the best state parks in the entire country. Aside from the beauty, the history there is amazing and palpable.

It's also an easy 1.5 hour drive from Fort Robinson to the Black Hills. If you decide on the Black Hills (which I recommend, given that I have chosen to live here), check out the State Game Lodge in Custer State Park.
Solid rec/
The Ft Robinson-entire badlands-black hills-Mt Rushmore and Custer state parks are must see trips for any family. They left an impression on me as a kid-then the same impression on my kids evidently as they have traveled long distances to make the same trips for their kids.
You wont regret it any of it and what better time to get away from crowded theme parks etc,

Last edited:

I would highly recommend checking out Uncle Buck's Lodge in Brewster. I was there a number of years ago and I enjoyed the remoteness of the area. I do not know if this is still available out there right now because of the Covid, but you can go on a canoe trip down the Niobrara River. Our family went canoeing and let's just say that if you do go canoeing, be sure you find at least one person who knows how to steer clear from sandbars.

Just completed a York to Scottsbluff to Rapid to Deadwood to Valentine trip

Chimney Rock
Scottsbluff monument
Golf
Ft Robinson
Needles why
Mt Rushmore
Custer st park
Deadwood
UTV trail riding
Niobrara river float
Demo derby
Fireworks.

Reactions: Crisker
I have heard recently that Johnson Lake is nice, although haven't been there. Generally good feedback with mixed reviews on a small town near there.

If you are into hiking mtn biking whitewater rafting and dont want to be around large # of people check out Leadville, Beuna Vista, Salida areas in Colorado same love that area spent 8 days doing the stuff above 2 years ago.

Mountain Air Nudist Ranch
Good way to boost your vitamin D.
mountain-air-ranch-games.jpg

Frisco Co - just got back From there
Hiking
Biking
Mountains
On lake Dillion
Cool downtown scene with restaurants and shops
Rent kayaks, pontoons etc....
Not as touristy as Breckenridge or other places..

What specifically there? This looks quite interesting. I may put it on my travel list.

We’ve stayed at resorts outside Two Harbors, and outside Lutsen. The scenery is amazing, it’s not super crowded, and there are a lot of great places to hike, bike, ride atvs, fish, or just cruise up highway 61. The beaches on Lake Superior are also really nice.

Reactions: BushAK and Crisker
My buddy has a place in Winter Park, CO that he rents out. DM me and I can send you the link if you want

Another potential option is the Bighorn Mountains, which are much less crowded than anything in Colorado. If you like dude ranches, fishing, and horseback riding, Eaton's Ranch in Wolf, Wyoming is truly stellar. They have a Covid policy posted, and it looks quite sensible.

go to southern UT. Rent mountain bikes, camp, hike. Weather favorably cool, state hasn’t totally closed down. Going out there in a few weeks!

Frisco Co - just got back From there
Hiking
Biking
Mountains
On lake Dillion
Cool downtown scene with restaurants and shops
Rent kayaks, pontoons etc....
Not as touristy as Breckenridge or other places..
Just got back from that area. GF and I loved Frisco, the main street has everything you need. We went Kayaking in Dillon and had beers right on the water in the marina. Did a 9 mile hike that turned out way harder than we expected it to be. That area is awesome and we can wait to get back. Where did you stay in Frisco? We stayed in Dillon and would much rather be in Frisco next time.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Some of most beautiful scenery in the world and millions of things to do--float trips, white water, chuck wagon dinners, ranger walks, campfire talks, hiking trails, etc.

Just got back from that area. GF and I loved Frisco, the main street has everything you need. We went Kayaking in Dillon and had beers right on the water in the marina. Did a 9 mile hike that turned out way harder than we expected it to be. That area is awesome and we can wait to get back. Where did you stay in Frisco? We stayed in Dillon and would much rather be in Frisco next time.
Vrbo in frisco. A block off downtown. Marina bay condos or something, they are great walking distance to everything, we took bikes too. Great time.

Reactions: cameron1216
We’ve stayed at resorts outside Two Harbors, and outside Lutsen. The scenery is amazing, it’s not super crowded, and there are a lot of great places to hike, bike, ride atvs, fish, or just cruise up highway 61. The beaches on Lake Superior are also really nice.
That sounds great. The wife canceled our flight to Acadia NP in Maine and now we are driving up there for a week in August to hike around and see the scenery. Never been there.. Staying in 4 nights Two Harbors and 2 nights in Grand Marais.. Any "can't miss" suggestions appreciated.

There is a cool place called Woods Landing just miles SW of Larimie with old time cabins and great fishing on the Laramie River. Big old famous Dance Hall on the grounds with a full bar. Medicine Bow - Routt National Forest. Tons of hiking on each side of Wy / Colorado border. No people. Pretty Covid safe. hits your 8 hr timeline and avoids the crowds of Black Hills and RMNP. https://woodslanding.com/

For something a little different, you could go through the Black Hills up to Medora, ND for the ND badlands. Lots of hiking, and other touristy stuff for 3 days or so. Temps are great there. Probably about 8-10 hours depending on where in central NE.

If you are into hiking mtn biking whitewater rafting and dont want to be around large # of people check out Leadville, Beuna Vista, Salida areas in Colorado same love that area spent 8 days doing the stuff above 2 years ago.
Love that country. Mt Eberts Lodge by Twin Lakes is really desolate. Nice cabins. Creede ( Soward Ranch ) always our fave out there,

I live about 20 miles from Estes Park and a gal that works for me lives in Estes.
It’s packed and I mean Packed!!
I would recommend against it at this time thru Labor Day.
There are actually only letting a car into Rocky Mountain National every so many minutes due to the high volume of traffic.
I’ve never heard of that in 28 years.
It’s beautiful but I’d avoid it.
Others mentioned other destinations in Colorado and I would agree.

Reactions: Crisker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT