ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Meta Quest 3

RedMyMind

Assistant Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
Has anyone picked one up? Opinions on it?
I picked one from from Big Buy last night and it is pretty dang crazy. They have won the arms race so far.
I'm looking forward to laying on my bed.... and watching football on a virtual 80 inch TV.

Ive looked at these. Played around with the first version.

How much improved is it from first generation?

Are the games worth the investment? The technology is impressive but I never saw any games that really got my attention

Ive looked at these. Played around with the first version.

How much improved is it from first generation?

Are the games worth the investment? The technology is impressive but I never saw any games that really got my attention
I didn't play the first version. I used the OSVR back in 2016 and it was rough. The Quest 3 uses new pancake lenses and they are much much better for clarity and the image is sharp throughout the whole viewing field. Mapping your room into a video game area is wild. Quest 2 to 3 is huge and from Quest 1, even bigger.

It depends what kind of games one wants to play. I have a PC so I can connect the Quest to that but a lot of the standalone games are getting better and better. They even made Duck Hunt into a VR game. I'm not sure I would want a full fledged 30+ hour typical game. I want the goofy, psychics games that you can mess around with and shoot people in the face. A much better Wii is fine for me along with all of the other VR stuff you can do besides gaming.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
w2RdxExosOKZi.webp

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Waiting for sports venues to start selling virtual tickets to games or events. Put a few cameras up and let ones switch between them.
Me can already watch games court side with the quest. I assume other sports are involved as well.

Kind of out of my price range when I don't know how often I'll use it. Been thinking of getting a used quest 2, but then again, not really sure if I want a used headset. VR technology will only get better though. The Quest line really opened things up to the masses, whereas Apple is still catering to the rich tech bro crowd.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Kind of out of my price range when I don't know how often I'll use it. Been thinking of getting a used quest 2, but then again, not really sure if I want a used headset. VR technology will only get better though. The Quest line really opened things up to the masses, whereas Apple is still catering to the rich tech bro crowd.
pixels per degree for headsets like the quest is at 25. The human eye retina pixels per degree is 60 so we are halfway there. Next 5/10 years and it was be pretty much solved. The software and interface part feels about there.

My wife likes the Google Earth and just being in simulated worlds. I wanna shoot some people in the face and watch sports in VR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT