ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Job opportunity advice.

nelsonj22

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Let me preface this with this is going to sound a touch Sarasota/fake and I apologize in advance. I recently had a possible job offer pop up and looking for RSS's expert opinion(there are a dozen or so of you fvckers I listen to) so here goes.

Get a voicemail this afternoon about a job offer. I'm 10 seconds in and about to hang up because I thought it was another of the 3-4 recorded messages I get a week. (Joy's of holding 3 masters licenses I guess) Right as I'm hanging up the guy stutters a little on a word and I realized it was a real person.

Turns out they need a master electrician to do solar work in the midwest and because of covid the one partner can't get licensed in a certain state.

Talked for 15 min and went from working a week or 2 a month outta state to basically leasing out my license and just doing periodic walk throughs and final inspections. Almost sounds too good to be true and those situations usually are but also I've heard you get 5-6 times in a lifetime to truly make bank.

I wouldn't charge them much as getting in on the ground floor is worth that and would obviously have to look over a couple of their completed projects to assure quality to my standard but getting a check without having to pick up more than a screw driver and meter would be pretty tits.

The thing I struggle with is I'm terribly loyal. Been with my company now 6 years and they put me through electrical school and paid for my electrical licence.

They got it for their convenience and because the other tech couldn't pass the journeyman test not to better me. Never even discussed the option of ownership (his son in law got it in 3 years but also earned it) and basically I've proven them wrong so much there is just a built in animosity from the higher ups.

Example: 26yo me that had licenses for days but zero knowledge(little 1 man residential shop before) had to tell a 100 year old commercial HVAC and plumbing company that you can't use thread protectors that come on new pipe as couplings. That is the level of dumb I have faught for 6 years and anyone in the trade will understand.

I'm master on file (that would stay the same weather I left or not as I'm not a POS) so really my current company can't do anything but looking for advice on dealing with working for 2 companies at once if the one opportunity manifests into something.

TIA

TLDR:Been on a good karma kick and I think it's coming back around. Post funny/degrading gifts below

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News