ADVERTISEMENT

OT. ISO new whiskeys to try

https://whiskyloot.com/blogs/dram-good-blog/10-health-benefits-of-whisky

1. Lowers Risk of Heart Disease

According to multiple studies, a glass of whisky a day can help reduce your risk of heart disease and heart failure. According to a study by Harvard, a moderate amount of alcohol raises the amount of “good cholesterol” in your blood. This is a natural protection against heart disease.

2. Can Help Fight Cancer

Although it should not be used as the only treatment, research shows whisky can help fight cancer. Whisky contains ellagic acid, which helps absorb rogue cells in your body. This acid is also found in fruit and wine; however, it is found in higher levels in whisky.

3. Promotes Weight Loss

Not only is whisky delicious in flavour, but it contains very little sodium and no fat. Plus, the sugar in the drink is simple sugar, which is quickly processed by the body. This can help promote weight loss. Moderate beer drinkers tend to lose muscle tone and increase their “beer gut.” By switching to whisky you can keep the pounds off while still having a good time.

4. Reduce Stress

Between work, family, and everyday stresses, you deserve a break. If you are feeling stressed, a glass of whisky can take off the edge. Alcohol is known for calming the nerves. This is extremely beneficial for people with high stress or anxiety. However, alcohol should not be used as the only way to de-stress. Relying on alcohol as a way to calm your nerves can lead to further anxiety if abused.

5. Control of Diabetes Risk

If you are at risk for diabetes, whisky is good for you. The sweet drink has been shown to reduce the chances of diabetes by up to 40%. According to a study, a moderate amount of whisky can improve your body’s ability to regulate insulin and glucose levels. This is because of all the simple sugars in the drink, which are easy to process. If you can control your body’s blood sugar levels, then you lower your risk for developing diabetes.

6. Lower Risk of Dementia

Dementia is one of the most prominent diseases facing the elder population. While scientists are working hard, there is not yet a cure. Therefore, if you want to protect yourself from dementia, you need to take preventative steps to avoid the disease.

A 2003 study states that adults who consumed one to six glasses of whisky a week were half as likely to suffer dementia as non-drinkers and heavy drinkers. Once again, it is always important to practice moderation. While a couple of glasses a week will lower your risk of dementia, drinking multiple glasses a day will raise your risk exponentially.

7. Fight Your Cold

Hottie toddies are common at the bar, but when you feel that cold coming on you should try to grab one right away. The mix of whisky, hot water, lemon and honey warms you up inside and helps fight that cold.

While the infamous drink doesn’t fight the flu directly, it does dilate blood vessels to make it easier for mucus membranes to fight the infection. So, drink up!

8. Digestive Aid

After a large meal, it’s common to feel a rumble in your stomach. If you are feeling nauseous, a post-meal whisky may help ease your stomach. Since whisky is a high-proof, it stimulates your stomach enzymes. This gets your digestive system moving fast. Not only will your stomach work hard to break down the whisky, but it will also break down that large meal in the process. It’s nature's own digestif.

9. Reduces Blood Clotting

When you have an internal injury, your blood naturally clots to try and stop the bleed. However, if that clot spreads into another part of your blood system - like your heart, lung, or brain - there can be disastrous results.

Thankfully, whisky significantly reduces blood clotting. Whisky is a natural blood-thinner. Therefore, enjoying some whisky once in a while can reduce your risk of developing blood clots. Furthermore, blood clots often cause issues when they get stuck in bad cholesterol. As noted previously, whisky promotes good cholesterol, which fights the bad stuff. Therefore, if you do have a blood clot, it is less likely to cause damage, such as stroke.

10. Boost Your Immune System

Not only does whisky help you fight common colds, but it can also help prevent it. Whisky contains ellagic acid, which alone with vitamins can help your immune system fight off illnesses.

Although whisky can be good for you, you will not receive any of these health benefits if you overindulge. Like all alcohol, whisky is meant to be enjoyed in moderation.
a glass. Not 3-4

Reactions: Swiv3D
I appreciate all the feed back, some trying to help me whiskey wise, some trying to help my overall Heath wise and some trying to help my overall manhood by not diluting with water. Will take all of it into consideration.

I’m drinking something called smooth ambler Contradiction which is a mix of West Virginia bourbon and MPG bourbon. It’s was around $35 and it’s great. I also like Gentleman Jack though it’s not a bourbon.

Evan Williams...with coke. After the 4th one it all tastes the same.

Evan Williams really is so much better than it has any right to be for how cheap it is. Is it going to match a high priced bourbon? No chance, but for being dirt cheap it's not a bad sipper. I just bought a bottle of their small batch, interested to try it out and see how it compares. I'd take E.W. over most bourbons twice it's price (which is still cheap, since E.W. is so cheap).

My own collection is...

•Makers Mark (the basic cheap one)
•Elijah Craig small batch
•Jameson Black Barrel
•Redbreast 12 year
•No.9 Iowa whisky (the Slipknot one)
•No.9 Reserve Iowa whisky (the more expensive Slipknot one)
•Rabbit Hole Boxergrail
•Knob Creek 9 year
•Dalmore 12 year
•Ardbeg 10 year

Drink anything you want how you want. Personally I drink it neat with a couple drops of water. Not every cheap whisky/whiskey is bad and not every expensive one is good. All of mine taste different from each other and I like all of them. Honestly I don't drink often, just glass or 2 every few days

Reactions: bigboxes
My Top 10:

Laphroaig 10 Year
Ardbeg 10 Year
Redbreast 12 Year
Longrow 10 Year
The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 Year
Dickel 12 Year
Makers 46
GlenDronach 12 Year
Woodford Reserve
Springbank 10 Year

Well congrats, after about a decade of absentee status, you sucked me back in with this one...

Wild Turkey 101 at ~$21/bottle is still king. (WT 101 Rye is okay, depends on your liking).
Any of the Bottled In Bond from Old Grandad/Evan Williams are good
OG 114 is good for ~$24/bottle
Knob 9 is great but is more expensive
Sagamore Spirits out of Baltimore is good
if you want to splurge, the Rare Breed is amazing for about ~$46

I support the Smoke Wagon shout out, they have some shortcomings amongst the purists, but it's delicious, no doubt.

Personally, I don't care for the Bulleit anymore. Or High West. For the $, you can do better.

Russels was nice, for the 6 or 10 year.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Reserve is very nice, but close to $60.

No need to break the bank on most of these, rarely are they worth the extra money. Stick with the Buffalo Trace family tree and you can't go wrong.

Happy hunting!

Oh my good sir you have come to the right place:

•Woodford Reserve/Rye
•Elijah Craig/Rye
•Stranahans (if you can find it)
•Wild Turkey

*sticking to your rules of not breaking the bank. Also there are lots of whiskeys that are super expensive that in a blind taste test wouldn’t taste any different to the 99.9% of people than plain jane Makers Mark. The above 3 of consistently rated well in competitions and conventions in blind taste tests.
Woodford reserve is solid but Rye isn’t for everyone. I love it but it’s got a bite.

I suggest the 11 Jones only because my business partner is related to them and a N graduate.

If you aren't limiting yourself to Bourbon or American/Canadian Whiskeys, I'll toss out Balvenie Caribbean Cask as an interesting one to try. It is a 14 year single malt scotch that is finished in rum barrels. It's on the sweeter side for a scotch to begin with as it is a speyside, and the rum barrel finish imparts a little more sweetness and IMO some more vanilla notes. I'm generally not big on scotch, they usually taste too peaty for me, but Caribbean Cask definitely gets a thumbs up.

Aside from that, Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve are my go-tos. Makers 46 is good, I wouldn't say "better" than the standard Makers to my taste just different. I recently bought a bottle of Rabbit Hole to celebrate with when my daughter is born, so in a few months I'll be able to come back and report on that.

I would NOT recommend Basil Haydens. Got some as a gift a few years ago. It's not terrible, but way overpriced for what it is. I'd honestly go for Evan Williams (which is better than its insanely low price would suggest) over it even though it's 1/4 the price.

Last edited:
If y'all can find Garrison Bro's up in Nebraska I Highly Recommend it! it's one of my absolute favorites!

***Edit - looks like Alchemy 140 N 8th st Lincoln & Wine Beer & Spirits 5220 N 27th both sell it

Damn all you guys are rookies! my go to Bourbons are Knob Creek 12 year, Elijah Craig Barrel proof, Old Forester 1920 or 10 and Old Elk! then i buy top line bourbons too but those are my daily stuff! come on guys spend a couple of bucks more for way better stuff

I’ve gotta say I’m surprised - over 60 responses so far and not a single comment about whiskey dick.

This board is slippin.

I’ve tried a number of Bourbons / American whisky’s and then some of the friendlier Irish and Scottish whisky’s. These were all fine until I tried some of the peated Scotches. For some reason I love the smokey / brininess they offer.

Of the Bourbons / American whisky’s I’ve tried, I like the following:

Woodford Reserve

Maker’s Mark 101

Frye Ranch Bourbon

Wild Turkey Longbranch

Of the friendlier Irish and Scottish whisky’s I’ve tried, I like the following:

Jameson Stout Edition (Finished in Stout Craft beer Barrels)

Jameson Cold Brew Edition (Infused with Cold Brew Coffee flavor)

Famous Grouse

Naked Grouse

Of the Lightly Peated Scottish whisky’s I’ve tried, I like the following in order of favorite:

Johnnie Walker Green Label 15 Year (A blend of Island and Speyside malts, each aged at least 15 years. The taste of fresh fruit, vanilla and light smoke)

Jura Journey (Sweet easy drinker with a little more smoke than the 10)

Jura 10 Year (Sweet and very easy drinker with just a hint of smoke)

Highland Park 12 Year (Dried Fruits, spice, honey and a gentle smokiness)

Jura Seven Wood (Sweet Carmel and vanilla, and easy drinker with just a hint of smoke. Of all the scotches I’ve tried this tasted the most like Bourbon)

Dewar’s Illegal Smooth 8 Year (Very Interesting taste as it is finished in “Illegal” Mezcal Casts. Illegal being a brand of Mezcal)

Johnnie Walker Black Label (Sweet and very easy drinker with just a hint of smoke)

Dewar’s White Label (For Mixing)

And finally, for my favorites, of the Heavily Peated Scottish whisky’s I’ve tried, I like the following in order of favorite:
  • Ardbeg Uigeadail (Tastes: Smokey BBQ, Bacon, peaty and briny along with some sweet Sherry notes)
  • Laguvulin 16 (Tastes: sweet Sherry notes, Smokey BBQ, peaty and briny)
  • Ardbeg An Oa (Tastes: Smokey BBQ, peaty and briny along with some sweet Sherry notes)
  • Longrow Peated (Tastes: sweet, fruity, peat smoke)
  • Ledaig 10 Year (Floral & Smokey)
  • Talisker 10 Year. (Dried Fruits, smoke and sweetness)
  • Laphroaig Selet (Tastes: Medicinal Peat with lighter smoke, citrus and sweet notes)
  • Laphroaig 10 Year (Tastes: Peat smoke, sweet and nutty)
  • Schieldaig Islay Single Malt (Blended Islay - peaty and smoky w/ hints of vanilla & Carmel)
  • Johnnie Walker Double Black (Sweet and with more smoke than the Black Label)
  • Famous Grouse Smoky Black (peat smoke, caramel, and spice.)
Enjoy 🥃

Wow! Not sure how I forgot to include these Glenmorangies in the friendlier Irish and Scottish whisky’s I’ve tried category.

1. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14 year.
2, Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 year.
3. Glenmorangie Nectar D'or.
4. Glenmorangie Original 10 year.

Irish and/or Scotch (Whisky) ? Some of my favs
Kilbeggan
Bushmills Black Bush
Teeling small batch
Glenfiddich 12
Slane

Last edited:
Costco (124th and Dodge) has a great selection of whiskey currently. Some cheap good ones and many affordable good ones.

What did you fix? My friend just stopped by with a gift of Ardbeg An Oa. First time trying. Fruity and more body (plus the usual smokey) than regular Ardbeg. My 65th fifth of liquor. I could open a bar!
I just bolded the peaty / smokey ones that I like. If you like the An Oa, then you'll love the Ardbeg Uigeadail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT