ADVERTISEMENT

OT ice storm

huskerfan1414

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2014
how is it for evermyone out there? Hope everyone keeps power and doesnt have to travel. Hearing parts of omaha are without.

The sidewalks at my apartment complex are super slick. Took the dog out and about fell a half dozen times even when walking in the grass. Would have to say this is the rare storm that lived up to the hype.

Still have power in Millard, but who knows later in the night as the temp drops a bit.

Worried about a over 50 year old huge Ash tree next to my house out back.

Last edited:
The sidewalks at my apartment complex are super slick. Took the dog out and about fell a half dozen times even when walking in the grass. Would have to say this is the rare storm that lived up to the hype.
Same situation in my area. Went to the gym a couple hours ago. Roads weren't terrible when going there but were getting bad on the way home. Sidewalks have been bad since about 5pm.

When I lived in Omaha, I'd remember to spray silicone around the rubber door moldings a few times every winter. I don't the miss that winter weather @ all.

In Carolina, the bread & milk aisles looked like Ghengis Khan & his horde rode through!

Ice storms are crippling.

Ps... Since it is so bad out, what's in you glass!??

Last edited:
Sheet of ice here in GI. Just went on a couple medical calls and the streets and sidewalks are a mess.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale - hope that isn't some sort of a premonition.
dos-equis-beer.jpg

Still have power in Millard, but who knows later in the night as the temp drops a bit.

Worried about a over 50 year old huge Ash tree next to my house out back.
ash trees are super strong, it's them silver maples people plant cause they grow fast, that snap like a twig.

ash trees are super strong, it's them silver maples people plant cause they grow fast, that snap like a twig.

Good to know. Also have a red sunset sugar maple in the front that lived threw the 1997 ice storm that November when it was younger and folded like a tent at the top.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Good to know. Also have a red sunset sugar maple in the front that lived threw the 1997 ice storm that November when it was younger and folded like a tent at the top.
the reason I replied is cause I had a ash that had a branch about 2 foot in diameter that went over the neighbors house, almost vertically, and when the Ice would get on it, it would bow down so it just touched their shingles. so I got a crane and straped the branch up and cut 2/3rd's thru it before it started cracking.

Reactions: scarletred
Hmm. Ill have to try to hunt down some grandad and try it.

Made by Beam. I found this at CVS pharmacy in Ripkey, WV?...'bout 30 miles from home. The clerk said they rarely get it. I saw the 80 & 100 proof, scored a bottle of 100.

When we head to Omaha, Kentucky's Distillery Row is right off the I-64 exit, mm 48. Great tour, we never tire of it.

These guys taste whiskey live every Tues., or just watch the videos @ : the haunted saloon.com.

Last edited:
how is it for evermyone out there? Hope everyone keeps power and doesnt have to travel. Hearing parts of omaha are without.
I certainly don't miss that non sense at all. I moved Hinesville Ga, haven't regretted that decision one bit. Flying back to Omaha next weekend for Grandma's 100th birthday, hopefully the weather will be a lot better by then.

I have 3 ash in my yard that the EAB have been into. They have a bunch of new little chutes trying to grow out of the old hanging limbs. 40 foot trees and I need them gone. Trees have been the worst part about this property so far.

I have 3 ash in my yard that the EAB have been into. They have a bunch of new little chutes trying to grow out of the old hanging limbs. 40 foot trees and I need them gone. Trees have been the worst part about this property so far.
you must mean the beetles, I cut 2 of the 3 I had down. because they were so big, but lucky no beetles yet. I left one that actually does something for me , shades my house.
I think it's 300 a year to treat them for beetles but thats not guaranteed.

the good thing about ash is people love it for fire wood, so I was able to get a couple guys help me to cut them down for free, by giving them the wood.
the other good thing about the ash, is they drop all their leaves at once.

you must mean the beetles, I cut 2 of the 3 I had down. because they were so big, but lucky no beetles yet. I left one that actually does something for me , shades my house.
I think it's 300 a year to treat them for beetles but thats not guaranteed.

the good thing about ash is people love it for fire wood, so I was able to get a couple guys help me to cut them down for free, by giving them the wood.
the other good thing about the ash, is they drop all their leaves at once.
Is it a beetle? Looks like a green wasp looking thing to me. But that does not matter. I burn wood here in the fireplace. Been going through a lot this Winter now that my boy is old enough to help with hauling wood more. His Mom and sisters love to have fire, so we are seemingly humping wood from our pile to the door every day. Had this place around 7 years. Everything we have burned so far has come off the property. The yard was overgrown and let go when we bought it. Looks like a different place now.

yes, it wiped out a lot of neighborhood trees in big 10 country. some of them look like a tornado went thru but left the houses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

but the weird thing is sometimes they will leave one ash completely alone, so far they haven't got the one I have left.:Cool:

Last edited:
I'm getting ready for my 5 mile drive to work in Corning Iowa.My plan is to get a safe distance behind the county truck as they head out to the plant.Wish me luck.

I went out and checked the streets. I almost took a dive on the stoop and could have slid down the hill in front of the house. The side roads are going to be bad. Be smart this morning.

Just drove into Omaha from Gretna, wasn't fun but stuck to highway and interstate..,figured they would get worked on first...made it.

Hopefully your ash tree doesn't have the borer yet, or has been treated. And those red maple cultivars are usually some sort of cross between red (mostly strong) and freeman (not strong) maples.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT