ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How many of you gave up watching the "news"?

Never have watched the news. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

I usually watch the local news when I get a chance. Natl & world news is just too dang depressing.

I don't watch it. people are oblivious to the fact that the "news" is a television show predicated on getting good ratings to make money. They will tell you anything in order to get you to watch

Watch and read as much as I can of national and world news from multiple sources (Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc) keeping in mind the biases of the sources. Its our duty as citizens to try to stay informed. I tend to turn off the over the top opinionated commentators. For political stuff Brit Hume is probably my favorite news person to listen to. He's pretty much a straight news guy averse to bloviation much the same as Tom Brokaw was in his day.

Reactions: jeans15
Isn't it just depressing? It's all garbage these days. And it's sad that those headlines are what they profit from. Then, you go online to head-butting matches where each opposing poster believes they're right and can't understand nor empathize with the other. I think, in my humble opinion, that our current society is headed downward and we've all just about completely abandoned our cohesive ways.

Or am I just crazy? :)

According to Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts (1979), an Assyrian clay tablet dating to approximately 2800 BC was unearthed bearing the words "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common."

Reactions: sparky62
I listen to NPR while commuting because, as another poster said, they usually are just reading the news and having an interview or something with someone tied into the subject (with no punditry or opinions of the newscaster given), or they're doing in-depth journalism pieces on individuals or events around the world. Pretty quality stuff.

other than that - why watch the news? Why spend 30 min - 1 hour watching a news channel when you can literally read about all the stories they'll cover in like, 3 minutes online?

News junkie here. But I've moved more and more to BBC News, plus our local news affiliates. Can't start the morning without reading a newspaper--which keeps getting thinner and thinner.

Ahh, the good 'ol days. I remember them well. Women did not go to college so they could stay at home raising the young 'uns. Segregated schools and pools. Butch haircuts. You worked at GM to into your 60's and then retired with a pension and health benefits for the rest of your life. Outhouses--with Sears catalogs. None of that Charmin' stuff. Polio. No interstate highways. Vietnam War. What's a computer? Oh yeah. Those were the days.

Our biggest problem these days: a transient population in which we lose our sense of family and community. No job security means no economic security. Lack of economic security creates stress and anxiety.

Reactions: BobbyPurify
I listen to NPR while commuting because, as another poster said, they usually are just reading the news and having an interview or something with someone tied into the subject (with no punditry or opinions of the newscaster given), or they're doing in-depth journalism pieces on individuals or events around the world. Pretty quality stuff.

other than that - why watch the news? Why spend 30 min - 1 hour watching a news channel when you can literally read about all the stories they'll cover in like, 3 minutes online?

Its all in perspective I guess. You say you listen to NPR because they are just reading the news, however, I have always found them to lean very liberal in their message. I rarely listen to them anymore for that very reason.

Its all in perspective I guess. You say you listen to NPR because they are just reading the news, however, I have always found them to lean very liberal in their message. I rarely listen to them anymore for that very reason.
No doubt about it. But I can assure you there are a handful of posters on here who have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

PBS Newshour everyday. Unbiased world & national news. Educational & positive viewpoints are common.

If you think the local news stations aren't pandering for your eyes, you are disillusioned. "It's a weather alert day!" Rediculous...Fear mongering at its best..er...worst.

Npr is super liberal. Scary that people think it isn't biased.

Once again readers on this board have reading comprehension problems. I stated "PBS Newshour" as a recommended show for a balanced look at world & national TV news. You retorted "NPR is biased." Sorry pal, but NPR stands for National Public Radio which is not PBS Newshour. Yes, I know they are both publicly funded by democratic leaning rich folks, but I've found Newshour's coverage to actually be fair & balanced instead of advertising it all day like that blowhard crazy like a fox channel. When you base your prejudice regarding PBS Newshour on listening to a few hours of NPR it makes you just as unfair & unbalanced as O'Reilly.

It's much more than a "lean". More like a "topple". I can't listen to NPR without feeling dirty.

I'm not sure how the news on NPR is "liberal." Some of the commentators on their shows are that way (Diane Rehm comes to mind) but it's hard to say their news is presented that way.

Once again readers on this board have reading comprehension problems. I stated "PBS Newshour" as a recommended show for a balanced look at world & national TV news. You retorted "NPR is biased." Sorry pal, but NPR stands for National Public Radio which is not PBS Newshour. Yes, I know they are both publicly funded by democratic leaning rich folks, but I've found Newshour's coverage to actually be fair & balanced instead of advertising it all day like that blowhard crazy like a fox channel. When you base your prejudice regarding PBS Newshour on listening to a few hours of NPR it makes you just as unfair & unbalanced as O'Reilly.
Seems you have more than just a reading comprehension problem. Since when does NPR = PBS? I am guessing that maybe his response wasn't directed towards you. Maybe a bit hypersensative.

Love the news. Start each morning getting up to date. The news today is a total joke. I have been a CNN, MSNBC and Fox person with NPR, and a multitude of on-line sources. I lean towards conservative on most issues. I became very disappointed in most of the main line news organizations outside of FOX. NBC, CBS are in the tank for the liberal side. Lots of bashing over FOX but I don't find people giving examples of where they are not telling the truth. I find it is news they just don't want to hear. They give more of both sides than any others. NPR is totally left leaning.

Those in leadership count of slanted news and the electorate not being informed. Why do you think they are hiring people from Hollywood to tell their story? The founding fathers gave the press a lot of power and responsibility. They still have that but it, like so much else has been taken over by idealism on both sides and not reality and fact checking.

My wife and I check facts often as we come across articles and share them. She is in contact with legislators regularly on issues. I was more so at one time when I managed a college. Now I am in private schools and that is my passion and obviously the latest Supreme court rulings mean something to me.

I figure if we don't educated ourselves we have no excuse to complain.

I'm not sure how the news on NPR is "liberal." Some of the commentators on their shows are that way (Diane Rehm comes to mind) but it's hard to say their news is presented that way.

I find it to be. But I wouldn't let something like that bother me. My girlfriend is a teacher and listens to NPR every morning, probably just to break up the monotony of our horrible local music radio. Honestly, there's really nothing that's "unbiased" any more.

I just find the whole "label" meme hilarious. It's a passive form of control whether you want to accept that or not. A group think! I'll just be me and you be you and every now and again we should share our ideas with each other, humble enough to not believe we're right and empathetic to each other's plight. That rhymed. I probably subconsciously plagerized a Jewel song or something.

Read any forum anywhere. Just say: "I don't agree with Obama because ___________" or "Bush was horrible at ___________" and observe the responses. People defending these men as if they're their friends. People putting idol worship in front of being kind to another. People shoving their worldview down your throat. Thanks, internet!

hI wasn't responding to your post. Many in this thread have mentioned NPR. "Sorry pal".

Last edited by a moderator:
It's up to the individual to be informed. Don't listen to a single source. Seek, listen, consider, and form your own opinions/beliefs. Then act accordingly.
This country would then be in much better shape.

People defending these men as if they're their friends. People putting idol worship in front of being kind to another. People shoving their worldview down your throat. Thanks, internet!

This is it. The dig-your-heels-in-and-don't-give-an-inch mentality is idiotic, but it is the soup du jour. Every person's argument, no matter what, has its weaker points, but nobody is willing to even acknowledge it anymore. It used to be ok to say "I get where you're coming from," but the response is now to simply not give any response and instead redirect or refuse to accept that there is anything possibly flawed in your position.

Everyone hates a person who waits to talk rather than listen. So don't be that person.

People shoving their worldview down your throat. Thanks, internet!

This is actually a big threat brewing in many other foreign countries and is sometimes talked about if one can read between the lines. The Internet, while having a lot of great uses, also does one thing really well. It actually helps share and spread ideas. In my opinion, the biggest export the United States has right now, is American culture via the net. Whether that is just ideology, consumerism, movies, television, culture, free thought, etc.

This is something both the Chinese, and Soviets have discussed publicly, and their desire to shield their citizens from it. There has been some discussion of creating a private internet for those countries as well.

However it shakes out, I think the future of the Internet will be much different than it is today.

I think a significant problem with the current political discourse is that people have ready access to more information (and misinformation) than ever before. Between twenty-four hour cable news and the internet, consumers are just bombarded with information. Most people don't stop to think "maybe my news is being presented in this light because this news organization needs to drive up ratings to attract advertisers; or maybe this news organization is owned by a parent company that has subsidiaries with significant business dealings with certain industries or the likes of David Koch or George Sorros; or maybe this news organization, it's parent company, or a subsidiary is attempting to court favor from officials in Washington to receive favorable regulatory, tax, or other treatment that is not at all related to the news."

We live in an era where even the most mundane human interest story is capitalized. There is no "No Spin Zone."

Reactions: Yossarian23
I think a significant problem with the current political discourse is that people have ready access to more information (and misinformation) than ever before. Between twenty-four hour cable news and the internet, consumers are just bombarded with information. Most people don't stop to think "maybe my news is being presented in this light because this news organization needs to drive up ratings to attract advertisers; or maybe this news organization is owned by a parent company that has subsidiaries with significant business dealings with certain industries or the likes of David Koch or George Sorros; or maybe this news organization, it's parent company, or a subsidiary is attempting to court favor from officials in Washington to receive favorable regulatory, tax, or other treatment that is not at all related to the news."

We live in an era where even the most mundane human interest story is capitalized. There is no "No Spin Zone."

Bill O'Reilly has one.

Seems you have more than just a reading comprehension problem. Since when does NPR = PBS? I am guessing that maybe his response wasn't directed towards you. Maybe a bit hypersensative.

Wow, I don't know where to start with you. Check my post again, especially this:
"Sorry pal, but NPR stands for National Public Radio which is not PBS Newshour."
So I think I've got you on comprehension...and also on the spelling of HYPERSENSITIVE. Go to church. You too Hf1414.

Wow, I don't know where to start with you. Check my post again, especially this:
"Sorry pal, but NPR stands for National Public Radio which is not PBS Newshour."
So I think I've got you on comprehension...and also on the spelling of HYPERSENSITIVE. Go to church. You too Hf1414.
Ha ha. As to the first part, you still don't get it, and as for the misspelling, great call!

Reading comprehension problems and hypersensitive describes 97% of the people here... The other 3% usually read/comprehend fine.

:confused:
My initial post was not in reference to your post about pbs. It was not a response to your post, but you flipped out like it was, and you still seem to think it was despite our efforts to correct you. Yet you act alarmingly butt-hurt about it.

:confused:
My initial post was not in reference to your post about pbs. It was not a response to your post, but you flipped out like it was, and you still seem to think it was despite our efforts to correct you. Yet you act alarmingly butt-hurt about it.
I think it best to let him be; you will only make him more angry

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT