ADVERTISEMENT

OT: From the Earth to the Moon

HuskerCubs

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2002
I have been rewatching the series as I do every couple of years that's how much I love it. I have my top three favorite episodes let's see if you guys agree. I was surprised that a friend of mine has not seen them before this evening but I think we have an older and more curious bunch on this site.

My all time favorite in the series is:

Spider--The episode where they trach the Grummund team as they win the contract and create and make the LEM space worthy. The connection with the vehicle is what I think makes this the best episode in the 10 episode series. It documents what the execs and their team went through to make this vehicle space worthy and an integral part of the story of the moon landings.

#2 We interrupt this Program-- It's the final episode of the story it depicts the training that Harrison (Jack) Schmidt the LMP of Apollo 17 and the last man on the moon led NASA into doing. He convinced the higher ups that something more was needed in their training as he was a trained geologist unlike his colleagues. A good portion of the episode is them out in the wilderness with Schmidt's teacher and how they responded to the extra training. Along with that is the little man that taught the CMP pilots how better to view the surface while they were waiting for their friends on the surface. Fascinating understanding of what some of the Apollo astronauts went through.

Out of 10 those are my top two episodes. I am fascinated by the science which may be why those two stand out to me. I think the third best may be the beginning of the end of true journalism with Elliot Seaborn the anchor getting pushed aside by the cub reporter. If this story is accurate it is what led to the sensualism of news reports that we see today. No longer to anchors report just the facts and the Seaborn character wants to do. He was a little too cowed to the brass at NASA perhaps but he put out the story as he knew it. He was up with the science and knew before other anchors what the accident on 13 meant. He was respected enough by the people at mission control that if he called in like he did before the initial report someone was willing to give him the actual scoop. The Hutchins character that was at the time a Sports reporter with aspirations was good as well as I believe that he understood in the end what he may be unleashing.

Let me know if you agree I love the series and would love to chat about it.

Reactions: stan raymond
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.