ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric cars in a hurricane/flood situation

Again, do you know anyone who loves hunting enough to fly across the country, but drives an EV? Or who would drive an EV? Doesn't matter where they were from. Shocking I know because people love to stereotype, but there are super conservative people on both coasts and even in big cities. I'm not searching every car rental place in Sioux Falls but Hertz doesn't even have an EV truck when I searched.
Even if the story were true, those guys seemed like total idiots, and even that is being generous. One anecdote does not change the fact that EVs are already much better city drivers, but getting continuously better at recreational use as well. You have a bunch of people clinging to the past and afraid that the future will be different than they had imagined. That's what I see in 90% of the comments here.

Everything's relative. Relatively speaking, they are. But it's only by so much, when a truly environmental approach would probably require more green mass transit and less personal private transport. But that's not happening in America lol so I'm comparison, EVs are indeed better for the environment.

Great for it? No. Better? More than marginally if everyone switched.
I think it’s important that people really dig into the facts that lead to climate alarmism. For example, the ocean is suffering from trash, chemical runoffs and overfishing, not your car. That would be a good place for people to direct their energies.

yes i do. There's other places to rent vehicles than other Hertz in Sioux Falls. I know multiple people who lease their land for hunting out there and actually up until about 10 years ago owned a ranch in the area where I used to hunt deer.
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. Budget doesn't even have trucks. Can't find an EV truck for Alamo either. Another small town story. Reminds me of the "guy from out east" who shot the trunk full of meadowlarks thinking they were quail and went bragging. No matter what town in Nebraska you go to, the storyteller always swears his neighbor saw it and can verify.

Reactions: oldjar07
Even if the story were true, those guys seemed like total idiots, and even that is being generous. One anecdote does not change the fact that EVs are already much better city drivers, but getting continuously better at recreational use as well. You have a bunch of people clinging to the past and afraid that the future will be different than they had imagined. That's what I see in 90% of the comments here.
It isn't true. People that hunt wouldn't own an EV because they would know it isn't compatible with rural driving. Therefore they wouldn't rent an EV, even if one were available, which at first glance doesn't even seem like they are available in Sioux Falls. Small town story telling at it's finest. In ND they probably change the story to ducks and say they flew into Fargo. In Montana they probably change it to Elk and say Bozeman.

I think it’s important that people really dig into the facts that lead to climate alarmism. For example, the ocean is suffering from trash, chemical runoffs and overfishing, not your car. That would be a good place for people to direct their energies.
Acidification of the ocean is primarily caused by CO2 in the atmosphere that cycles into the water.

When a person hears things like this it gets people a little agree.

What I see is higher gas prices and those prices are going to force people to move to EV's because gas is not going to cheap anymore.

I am not ever going to say Oil is going to disappear, but things like this make people feel they are going to be forced if not for lack of options, but because they won't be able to afford it

Screenshot_20240928_083005_Chrome.jpg
Biden wont be president in 2 months, We’ll have four years of Trump followed by eight years of Vance. All of the big auto manufacturers want to back away from their electric vehicle programs somewhat. People just aren’t having it (yet).

We have ridiculous amounts of oil in Canada, North Dakota and Texas. It is not scarce. The US is the largest producer of oil in the world . We could use more refineries though.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK4life
Everything's relative. Relatively speaking, they are. But it's only by so much, when a truly environmental approach would probably require more green mass transit and less personal private transport. But that's not happening in America lol so I'm comparison, EVs are indeed better for the environment.

Great for it? No. Better? More than marginally if everyone switched.
I disagree and the slaves mining the rare earth minerals would also.

Reactions: HBK4life
People get so worked up about this subject on both sides but the reality is oil isn't going anywhere. No matter how hard anyone tries. I just wish they would focus on real hybrid technology because that is where it's at. Not this nonsense where electric kicks in when coasting 40 mph or when stopped. An electric car supplemented by an engine that charges it when needed.
Toyota Camry is now only made in a hybrid format and is touted as 50 mpg. But that's still only a traditional hybrid. What you are talking about is a plug in hybrid and I agree with you.

Toyota Camry is now only made in a hybrid format and is touted as 50 mpg. But that's still only a traditional hybrid. What you are talking about is a plug in hybrid and I agree with you.
What I imagine is you put your destination or route into your vehicle gps. It should be be able to figure out, based on speed, driving habits, temperatures, etc, how much battery it can use while leaving you with a full battery when you arrive at your final destination. For instance, if I'm driving to Lincoln from Kearney for the game and then turning around and going back to Kearney, it should be able to run that battery down to a pretty low point, knowing you have an interstate drive on the way home to fill it back up.

The F150 hybrid will use 15 miles of electic if driving interstate/highway on a 300 mile round trip. That seems stupid. Same mileage as a regular F150.

We subsidize the hell out of airlines and that might be one of the worst things we do in this country for the environment. People wouldn't travel nearly as much if we let the free market determine how much was spent on airports and flights.

The federal government does subsidizes airlines through various programs, but primarily aimed at supporting air service in underserved areas. It’s not as some would portray it, as huge cash infusions to the airlines.

I disagree and the slaves mining the rare earth minerals would also.
That's largely a practice of the past. More modern mines are largely automated and they're looking to better minerals that are safer to extract and refine. Most videos like that one above are from like 10-20 years ago lol.

I have one and it's a blast. But I also have a diesel ride and two others that are not EVs.

Even if all of CA is driving EVs, it wont change what China and India are doing to the environment.
But if we make everything electric, they will be sure to follow.

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit. Budget doesn't even have trucks. Can't find an EV truck for Alamo either. Another small town story. Reminds me of the "guy from out east" who shot the trunk full of meadowlarks thinking they were quail and went bragging. No matter what town in Nebraska you go to, the storyteller always swears his neighbor saw it and can verify.
I bought a used 21 Expedition in Minneapolis last year that came from a truck rental company in Sioux Falls I had never heard of. The Carfax on it said it was purchased by that rental company brand new then taken to auction after 2 years of use. My Expedition’s nooks and crannies made it obvious that it had been used by at least one hunter. Kinda smells like a Labrador at times too. 😕

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT