ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy Taxi/Uber Stories ITT

HuskerNJ

First Team All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2001
I assume there a few good taxi stories, particularly from outside the country... Here's mine

Took an Uber from hotel near Lambert Airport to downtown St. Louis. Uber guy is in late 30's, driving a Honda Passport. Tells me that he's got a dog sitting business and has a meeting at his place near downtown but that he is going to be late given where I'm going.

We hit the highway and he immediately starts thumb texting his phone with his right hand while steering the car with his left wrist. Calls the customer he's supposed to meet and lies about where he is and when he will get there. Tries to convince customer to drop off the dog inside his fence and that he'll be there soon thereafter. Customer not buying it and she's a little pissed the guy's going to be late. Uber guy turns to me and explains that none of his customers know he's an Uber driver because they all assume he's at home with the dogs and that, actually, he is doing a lot of Ubering these days. I think he's trying to tell me to be quiet during these calls.

We're in slow traffic, he's changing lanes and scrolling through contacts and dialing with his right hand. Calls his dad and lies to him about where he is. Dad can't get to the house to meet the client. He swears at his dad. Calls his neighbor, no one answers and he leaves a message, lying about where he is and why he can't get to the house. He now figures out that he doesn't have coverage for meeting this client so he looks up in the mirror, makes eye contact with me and says "so, like, could you maybe go with me to my hou....(he sees my perfectly blank expression in the mirror)....ah, never mind.".

As we near my destination in downtown, he explains that his favorite Uber run is to take a certain 3rd shift computer programmer he knows over to East St. Lou early in the morning where he buys cocaine and gets a couple of hookers. "I watch out for that location and grab it right away", he tells me, "best fare ever".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News