ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College Basketball Blue Bloods

Riled Up

Walk On
Oct 13, 2019
Tier 1: Duke, UNC, Kentucky
Tier 2: Uconn, Kansas, UCLA
Tier 3: Indiana

Is this a fair assessment? Also how much longer until Indiana falls out of the ranks?

Reactions: king_kong_

Is this a fair assessment? Also how much longer until Indiana falls out of the ranks?
UCLA is interesting because I think they have 1 title in the last 50 years? Is that right, I might be off.

Indiana did have 2 titles before Knight and 3 with him, so I think that still keeps them "up there" but it is getting close.

Duke only did it with one coach but it is still recent so they stay up there but more than likely, they will be lucky to win one in the next 20 years.

Uconn has what, 5 in 30 years? With 3 different coaches? That is amazing.

I think your list is pretty solid.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
UCLA is interesting because I think they have 1 title in the last 50 years? Is that right, I might be off.

Indiana did have 2 titles before Knight and 3 with him, so I think that still keeps them "up there" but it is getting close.

Duke only did it with one coach but it is still recent so they stay up there but more than likely, they will be lucky to win one in the next 20 years.

Uconn has what, 5 in 30 years? With 3 different coaches? That is amazing.
I think there is a real argument for Uconn > Kansas all time.

• Haha
Yeah...I could even see Uconn over all the teams listed when it comes to the last 30 years.
Fair, but Duke has really only been an elite program since the early-mid 1980s (about 10 years longer) but have only had success under one coach unlike Uconn.

• Haha
Fair, but Duke has really only been an elite program since the early-mid 1980s (about 10 years longer) but have only had success under one coach unlike Uconn.
Yeah, I think Duke is going to "struggle" to ever be what they were for the last 30ish years.

• Haha

louisville has three national titles - ku has four. michigan state with two is there every year it seems, the last b10 national champion. i'd include them both and not have tiers. you're splitting filaments otherwise. either you are a bb or not.

I hate UConn as much as anyone (still bitter about the 2004 final four and 1999 finals) but both them and KU should be on Tier 1. UCLA rejoins the top line as soon as they win another title but for right now can be tier 2. I wouldn't put any current Big 10 program on the top two tiers until they win another title again. They've won 3 titles as a conference since 1987. Indiana won in 1987, 1989 and Michigan State in 2000. Michigan State really needs another championship before I'd consider them on the list despite often overachieving in the tournament. Championship hardware matters above all.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

Need Michigan State and Villanova in tier 3, Indiana in tier 2..

Great topic, OP! Need more threads like this

I would put Kansas in tier 1. There is literally nothing tier 2 about their program

Agree with the rest. Indiana is teetering but I do still consider them a blue blood

Sparty on the outside looking in now & forever

Reactions: vighawk
Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, and probably UCLA are Tier 1. This is based on pageantry, tradition, historical relevance, contributions to the lore of the game, etc.

Duke is clearly Tier 1 and its not even debatable. With that said, there shouldn't be tier 1, 2, or 3. You're either a blueblood or not. And quite frankly the biggest question is should UCONN be considered a blueblood and I say no. They have similar metrics to Indiana, but are far behind the others in wins, weeks ranked in top 5. Final Fours etc.... Even in you consider UCONN the last 30 years they have 5 titles and a whole bunch of mediocrity thrown in there the other 25 years.

Consistency is a variable in the equation, and Final Fours should be discussed. UCONN is remarkably efficient, I think 6 Final Fours and 5 championships. Unbelievable. Sports Illustrated did an article on this subject during the me 90's. The article stated that at that time, there were 6 Blue Bloods - North Carolina; Kentucky; Kansas; Duke; UCLA; Indiana.
The Final Fours list: North Carolina (21) UCLA (18) Kentucky (17) Duke (17) Kansas (16) Mich. st. (10) Ohio st. (10)
UCLA made 13 or 15 Final Fours from 1962 to 1976, and then a little off pace since. Kansas became the winningest program in history, I think last year - Kentucky is second.
Tier 1: North Carolina; Kentucky; Duke; Kansas
Tier 2: UCLA
Probation: Indiana
Wait List: UCONN

This goes to show how it can change...30 years ago UCLA was the bluest of all...now...not as much

This goes to show how it can change...30 years ago UCLA was the bluest of all...now...not as much
ucla is certainly amongst the best today. they had two starters injured during the ncaa tournament. won the p12, 18-2. finished top ten, 31-6. remain one of the best programs in the country under mighty mite mick cronin.

Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Duke and Indiana are in the club.

Next tier are merely “The Blue Balls”

Reactions: 250vertical
I don't understand the argument for Indiana over Uconn. Huskies have more titles, with more coaches, more recently, and have the same drawback of not being consistently a top team. Uconn clears them in nearly all fields.
The only thing I can think is that a lot of posters here were becoming fans at the time of IU and Knight being bad asses, so they remember that in a very fond way?

Same amount of championships and appearances along with win/losses almost identical. Difference being U Conn is current why Indiana's are 20-40 years old and more.

Until Hurley arrived, UCONN was languishing in the AAC bc the admin prioritized a conference for FB. They got out and won a natty in their third year back in the BE. For those who think they have sucked in the non natty years, Calhoun also coached 5 teams as far as the E8 and 3 to the Sw 16, in addition to his 4 Final Four appearances and 3 titles. Calhoun was basically in the Elite 8 or better every other year during his tenure at UCONN. Ollie won a natty with mostly Calhoun recruits, and now Hurley won his own. The BE competes for the top BB league now that UCONN is back home and Hurley will have access to the top recruits in the East yearly.
UCONN, even with the years in AAC purgatory is still the most successful college BB team in the last 30 years.

Uconn should bring back Sonogo and Jackson. Hawkins might as well. They’ll lose some grad transfers but load up a great class of recruits led by one of the nations top point guards. The way they play team d, transition and run motion half court with a down low presence will be tough to beat with talented players like they have. They’ll probably win it all next year, too.

Even in you consider UCONN the last 30 years they have 5 titles and a whole bunch of mediocrity thrown in there the other 25 years.

UCONN 1994-2023

20 Tournament appearances
13 Sweet Sixteen appearances
10 Elite Eight appearances
6 Final Four appearances
5 Finals appearances
5 National Titles

If that is mediocrity sign me up, I would love to watch Nebrasketball have that kind of mediocrity over the next 30 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT