ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bubba Starling

hddude55

Defensive Coordinator
Jan 14, 2002
Arizona
I just noticed that Bo's alleged greatest QB recruit is continuing to tear up AAA and hasn't sniffed .200 in two years. I wondered if any of you who live in Omaha have seen him play. Unless he has compromising pictures of the Royals owner or hitting doesn't matter much, I can't imagine why he wasn't cut at least a year ago. Am I missing something?

I saw him play twice in spring training last year. I imagine the reasons he hasn't been cut are 1. They've already made the investment, what's the harm in letting it play out?, and 2. His off the charts athletic ability. He hit a line drive off the top of the wall in Surprise that he turned into an inside the park homer. I remember I couldn't believe how fast he got to second base (for a big guy).

Anyway, I'm sure he's close to having his window of opportunity close forever. Too bad.

As I understand it, his contract really isn't calling for him to be paid that terrible much at this point, and in the grand scheme of things I think the Royals figured if they were going to pay him that small amount anyway if they cut him, they may as well ride it out. They invested a pretty high draft pick in him, combined with the relative low salary, it makes sense to me why he's still there, and he has showed flashes. Can anyone confirm any of this, or am I way off base here???

You want to really be sick, look at the list of who got drafted after him. Jose Fernanzez, George Springer, Lindor, Baez.... Sick

Reactions: Shermski77
As I understand it, his contract really isn't calling for him to be paid that terrible much at this point, and in the grand scheme of things I think the Royals figured if they were going to pay him that small amount anyway if they cut him, they may as well ride it out. They invested a pretty high draft pick in him, combined with the relative low salary, it makes sense to me why he's still there, and he has showed flashes. Can anyone confirm any of this, or am I way off base here???
I can't confirm, but that is my take as well. There were some articles a couple of years ago proclaiming that he had turned the corner, but each time he is moved up a level he seems to struggle.

I read a story once that if he doesn't pan out they will try to move him to pitcher. I am not a baseball fan so, is that possible?

I can't confirm, but that is my take as well. There were some articles a couple of years ago proclaiming that he had turned the corner, but each time he is moved up a level he seems to struggle.
When I looked before posting it appeared he was an average hitter at AA two years ago and then terrible last year, so I'm not sure it's adjusting to higher level play. What's surprising was his promotion to AAA last year when he was so awful at AA. That promotion certainly hasn't worked out. Probably should be in AA another year.

Drafting high school baseball players is obviously a crap shoot. No wonder most teams rely so heavily on their baseball academies in the Dominican where they can sign dozens of sixteen year olds and eventually get a handful of major leaguers.

Nothing has changed since I played D1 ball back in 1969-72. Your window of opportunity was only as wide as the bundle of cash they paid you. I remember the Cardinal scout telling me if I was three inches taller I would be offered a lot of money but at my height of 5'9 there would be no bonus and I would have to be the best pitcher thru every level of minor league ball to get to the bigs cuz they had nothing invested in me.

Starling may actually see some time at the ML level this year. His defense and speed are considered Major League level right now - even described as elite by some. He just cannot hit at all. But keep in mind that the Royals have had Terrance Gore on their roster at various points the past 4 seasons - including during the 2014 World Series. Gore, while the opposite of Starling in many respects, can't hit - but he can run. Starling would even be considered a far superior defender than Gore. Similarly, Jarrod Dyson was a no-hit, speed only outfielder when he came up a few years ago. Dyson is Ted Williams with the bat compared to Gore and Starling, and actually turned himself into a serviceable hitter over time.

Long story short - Starling will likely never be an every-day player in the major leagues, but he will probably start to earn some service time later this year when rosters expand.

Whatever bonus Starling was paid is sunk money and his minor league salary isn't much - so yeah, there's really no pressing reason for the Royals to cut ties with him until they are convinced he's taking up a spot that would be better filled by a different prospect. I don't know if Starling is eligible yet for the Rule 5 draft, but I suspect the Royals wouldn't really need to worry about protecting him there anyway, because the team claiming him would have to put him on its 25-man roster for a full season. If my math is correct he would not become a minor-league free agent until the end of the 2018 season, so maybe the Royals plan to stay with him until then and see where things stand.

Last edited:
If the Royals continue to stink and Cain gets traded, maybe he gets a chance at center field for a couple months. Who else? Billy Burns or Orlando? Enticing options.

Starling is actually on the Royals' 40 man roster, so he's not subject to the Rule 5 draft.

Starling is actually on the Royals' 40 man roster, so he's not subject to the Rule 5 draft.
Ah, thanks. I looked that up and didn't see him there, but now I see the minor leaguers are listed separately.

i've said for awhile that they'll eventually move him to pitching. I think he was throwing in the low 90s in high school. I haven't seen much of him, but of what clips I have seen, he's just very stiff at the plate. Looks like someone who has been coached so much, they have no sense of their own natural movements. I don't think KC was the best place for him to land developmentally.

You want to really be sick, look at the list of who got drafted after him. Jose Fernanzez, George Springer, Lindor, Baez.... Sick

Hindsight is 20/20 but dam that 2011 draft was loaded. There's like 3 or 4 guys that have not made it to the Majors. Bubba should thank Danny Hultzen otherwise Bubba would be the biggest bust in this class.

Nothing has changed since I played D1 ball back in 1969-72. Your window of opportunity was only as wide as the bundle of cash they paid you. I remember the Cardinal scout telling me if I was three inches taller I would be offered a lot of money but at my height of 5'9 there would be no bonus and I would have to be the best pitcher thru every level of minor league ball to get to the bigs cuz they had nothing invested in me.
Did you ever play any minor league ball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT