ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Blood donors?

ZaneHickey

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 3, 2004
I gave blood for 20+ years (no biggie- have good veins and am able to bleed well with no lightheadedness). Because of being started on blood thinner (indefinitely), i can't anymore. I hate that fact. Need somebody to take my place! A+, to be exact :Cool: Thanks for considering.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
I gave blood forever too and had to quit. We have a donor center where they take whole blood, power reds, and platelets. I am O positive and they called me all the time. Suddenly had low iron and then got sick so I quit and haven't gone back. Started doing the reds and platelets when a friend had cancer. It is a good thing for all of us to do.

I gave blood forever too and had to quit. We have a donor center where they take whole blood, power reds, and platelets. I am O positive and they called me all the time. Suddenly had low iron and then got sick so I quit and haven't gone back. Started doing the reds and platelets when a friend had cancer. It is a good thing for all of us to do.
Sucks you got sick. I remember a few years ago the Red Cross sent out an email about new minimum iron levels and in the same email gave a list of supplements to boost one's iron levels. Felt shady to me.

O- and go on the first day I'm eligible almost every time (8 weeks).

However, I hate that I get calls every day for about a week leading up until donating even though I likely already scheduled an appointment. You would think their system would tell them that it is pointless to call someone who has an appointment already scheduled. I also receive emails for special donation events in my area with dates that are before my eligibility date.

Reactions: TommieJoe and WHCSC
O+ also. I tried to give every time the blood mobile came to town. Until my last two experiences. I have deep veins that I usually need a non beginner. I always inform them of this ahead of time.

I had a bad experience the last two times. They beat me up and punctured me so much I had bruises almost 8 inches long.

Unfortunately I gave up

Reactions: ZaneHickey
O+ also. I tried to give every time the blood mobile came to town. Until my last two experiences. I have deep veins that I usually need a non beginner. I always inform them of this ahead of time.

I had a bad experience the last two times. They beat me up and punctured me so much I had bruises almost 8 inches long.

Unfortunately I gave up
Sounds like my poor wife. Veins look good, but roll when they try to pierce. Last time she went, i figured the cops or HHS would come looking for me, with all of her bruising.Eek

Reactions: huskerfan66
The last time I donated, I developed a rash two days after on my arm that was centered around the donation site. The rash was uncomfortable and took a while to go away. Unfortunately, the blood bank could not tell me the reason for the reaction. That was the last time I donated some two years ago. That's too bad because I have great big veins that are easy to stick.

I'm O Positive, I get on all the email lists for that alone. I need to be better about going and getting it done. Blood letting can actually be very beneficial for your health and it's good to pay it forward.

Reactions: saluno22
A college I worked at had a blood drive every year. It was interesting to see the big boys go down from fainting every year. Had several Dr's and nurses tell me there is no phisilogical reason to pass out.

One time at the end of the day I just gave my unit and we were sitting at the table eating the last cookies and drinking juice and a worker had just finished giving and was walking over to the table. The puncture in his arm gave way and blood started squirting like crazy. It looked like some Halloween trick, a real fountain. Needless to say, that caused several people sitting around to get light headed and get sick.

I felt like a blood giving machine. Vains stuck right out, nurses loved them. A few taps and they were ready to go. One time I thought I could pump out a unit or blood in short time by squeezing the ball harder. Big mistake. Nurse looked at my arm and said "what did you do?" It swelled up big time, black and blue and took days to go down.

Another time a buddy wanted to give blood for the first time. I was experienced by this time. He was scared spitless that he would pass out. I was teasing him about it and all of a sudden I got very light headed and the next thing I know we are both laying down with wet cloths on our heads.

Of course students would often call in sick the next dayday af giving blood for the first time. Ah, the good ole days.

Last edited:
Same. Evidently our platelets are really useful though.

Good to know. Is donating platelets the same as donating blood or do you do that somewhere else?

I’d like to donate more, since I can receive any blood type, but can only donate to the 6% of people with AB+, I feel like a dredge to society. And not for the reasons why I normally feel like a dredge to society, like the drinking and the tasteless fart jokes.

Good to know. Is donating platelets the same as donating blood or do you do that somewhere else?
You can probably donate at the same place, but it depends on the blood bank. I gave platelets at Lincoln Community Blood Bank many times.

Process is similar but (at least back then) they put a needle into each arm. You couldn't lift or bend either arm until you were finished, so it took some patience.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
You can probably donate at the same place, but it depends on the blood bank. I gave platelets at Lincoln Community Blood Bank many times.

Process is similar but (at least back then) they put a needle into each arm. You couldn't lift or bend either arm until you were finished, so it took some patience.

Thanks. It has been years since I donated since I thought it was pretty much a waste due to my bad blood. So I’ll have to look it up.

They call my wife all the time because she’s got that sweet, sweet O blood. So I’m sure she knows.

Reactions: WHCSC

In Lincoln it was great because I could do double arm so half the time. It's similar to plasma if you have done that. Takes longer and they filter out what they need and give you back the rest.

In Lincoln it was great because I could do double arm so half the time. It's similar to plasma if you have done that. Takes longer and they filter out what they need and give you back the rest.

That is a strange feeling when they pump the leftovers back into your vains.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT