ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Golf Course in the Lincoln/Eagle, NE area

HuskRecruit

Apr 1, 2018
A buddy and I are coming for our first ever Husker home game on Sept 8th v Colorado! We’ve both been huge Husker fans since we were kids and are eagerly anticipating the pilgrimage.

We want to play the best public course around Lincoln, Eagle, NE (where we’re likely staying as of now) or perhaps Omaha area.

To put it simply, what’s the best public golf course around?

It might be a bit further than you’re looking for but I’ve always been a huge fan of Quarry Oaks

Since you're staying in Eagle, maybe someone here can tell you if Woodland Hills is still a nice course. It was very nice when I lived in Lincoln, but that was quite a few years ago: Woodland Hills

Last edited:
The best bang for your buck in Omaha would be Johnny Goodman Golf course...

It’s in tremendous condition and has some very difficult greens.

Reactions: HuskAir
Quarry Oaks is great but a total beat down of a course if you are not straight off the box.

Woodland is a great course that is set up to let you score well if you aren't a hacker.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Quarry Oaks and Iron Horse ( both in Ashland) for public courses. Period end of discussion if your looking for something within 30 minutes of Eagle.

My money is on Hidden Valley. Naturally maintained since the '70s, you could practically play there shirtless and barefoot while enjoying a smoke and drink out of your bag. I believe they may have cleaned up their act since then, but it'll always be "Death" Valley to me and other discriminating golf enthusiasts in the greater Lincoln area.

Because Casey's bought all of the Kabredlo's stores. There are Casey's across the street from each other in LIncoln! Same deal!

Reactions: GretnaShawn
My money is on Hidden Valley. Naturally maintained since the '70s, you could practically play there shirtless and barefoot while enjoying a smoke and drink out of your bag. I believe they may have cleaned up their act since then, but it'll always be "Death" Valley to me and other discriminating golf enthusiasts in the greater Lincoln area.
I believe its irrigated now. Yes and I believe they think they are high class now. Sad really. Ruined a perfectly good bad golf course.

And its "the Ditch".

I forgot about that course! It was so cheap!
Yep. Im not even that old, but I remember in college playing there and HiMark with guys from work. Twilight rate was $4. Had to hoof it pretty quick but could get 9 in.

Now? Courses dont even know what winter rates or twilight rates are.

Yep. Im not even that old, but I remember in college playing there and HiMark with guys from work. Twilight rate was $4. Had to hoof it pretty quick but could get 9 in.

There are more golf courses now and it’s saturated the market a lot more leagues are during the evening weekdays so very few courses have twilight rates.

HiMark...that place was something else too. That is the kind of place where if you play at night they basically just give you free hotdogs...the hotdogs that they were going to throw out.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
HiMark...that place was something else too. That is the kind of place where if you play at night they basically just give you free hotdogs...the hotdogs that they were going to throw out.
HiMark was a pretty nice course but the thing I remember about it was the developer selling the notion that it was going to be a "semi-private" course with limited public play. This was apparently done so that he could convince people to buy the residential lots right on the course. Then once the course opened, public tee times were indeed quite limited - they were only available from 5:30 a.m. until dark, seven days a week.

Somewhat off-topic here, but the mention of Hidden Valley and all of its qualities from The Liver made me think of a course in CB before they turned it into Bent Tree. The name of the place was Field of Greens, and it was a spectacular sh!thole of a golf course. Man those carts were fast, there was only like one person working at a time so you could bring whatever you wanted onto the course, and it was something around $15 for 18 with a cart.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
HiMark was a pretty nice course but the thing I remember about it was the developer selling the notion that it was going to be a "semi-private" course with limited public play. This was apparently done so that he could convince people to buy the residential lots right on the course. Then once the course opened, public tee times were indeed quite limited - they were only available from 5:30 a.m. until dark, seven days a week.

RollingLaugh

The first course I ever broke 40 on 9 holes. I actually liked that course back in the day, but I realized why I broke 40. Not exactly the most difficult course ever.

But why close one, if it's already built and both stores are busy? I think you would be surprised how busy small-town convenience stores are. My hometown is a lot smaller than Eagle, and the convenience store there is packed much of the time.

I didn't say they should close one, it is just crazy to see when you drive into little village and there are two Casey's right next to each other. It is a really odd quirk.

Hidden valley was great, you could go play 18 in 2 hours or less, even on a saturday evening.
I wouldnt golf highlands for free. Windy and busy. Let the wind beat you up for 6 hours slugging along just to see a green course? Nah. Screw that.

I didn't say they should close one, it is just crazy to see when you drive into little village and there are two Casey's right next to each other. It is a really odd quirk.
But the eastern Eagle Casey's, the former Kabredlo's, is a "fake" Casey's, as it does not sell those delectable donuts. Beware the fake Casey's!

Reactions: GretnaShawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT