ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Banff National Park

chrsmneric

Walk On
May 30, 2017
Anyone spend any time hiking in Banff? Headed there this summer and looking for some hidden gem hikes!

I didn't get to go there when I visited Banff and Lake Louise, but I've heard great things about Yoho National Park - which is about an hour away, on the British Columbia side of the divide. You might want to check it out.

I didn't get to go there when I visited Banff and Lake Louise, but I've heard great things about Yoho National Park - which is about an hour away, on the British Columbia side of the divide. You might want to check it out.
Scoping out Yoho & Kootenay on AllTrails as we speak

Lived in Vancouver for a couple years and never made it out that far east. Very much regret that. Banff is definitely on our (my wife and I's) bucket list. We will very likely make it up there in the next five years.

Reactions: chrsmneric
Scoping out Yoho & Kootenay on AllTrails as we speak
Great. I would definitely try to spend a little time on the B.C. side of the divide. The whole area is beautiful, but the western slope has a lot of distinctive scenery.

You have to schedule in advance and go with a guide; but hiking on the Athabasca glacier is pretty cool. It is north of Banff, just into Jasper park.
Also, be sure to visit Peyto lake.
Plus, when you go to lake Louise you are only a couple Mike's from Morraine lake which I prefer over Louise. There is a great view once you climb the boulder rubble pile left behind by a glacier.

You have to schedule in advance and go with a guide; but hiking on the Athabasca glacier is pretty cool. It is north of Banff, just into Jasper park.
Also, be sure to visit Peyto lake.
Plus, when you go to lake Louise you are only a couple Mike's from Morraine lake which I prefer over Louise. There is a great view once you climb the boulder rubble pile left behind by a glacier.
We probably won't make Jasper due to our short stay but had Morraine on my short list. Peyto lake I'll have to check out, thank you. AllTrails is simply amazing for planning a hiking trip!

Yes, it's awesome. From lake Louise take a hike to the tea House. It's a bit rigorous, take water, but at the tea House you can refuel for the hike back down

Reactions: chrsmneric
ptarmigan cirque. actually in the kananskis on your way out to banff.
upper and lower lakes also in kananskis have some nice trails. easy as i remember...
johnston's canyon in banff park is easy, but has some nice water falls
the town of Banff is worth a day of exploring and whatnot.
short on time - at least make the drive to jasper and back. columbia icefields and water falls abound.
calgary is a great city, too.

Just pulled into Calgary a little bit ago. Almost didn't make it across the border (had to drive way too fast to get there) at 2300, I understand why. But the lady was a bitch.

Got 4-5 days in Canada before heading to Wisconsin next week. Last year we hit Atikokan for a few days then Thunder Bay.

Glacier>>>>>>>>Yellowstone for sure.

We're gonna head to Banff tomorrow. Then Jasper. After that no idea. I've never heard of Yoho, but I'll look into it. Any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: broncofan68701
That depends on what you're looking for. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've been to Glacier and Yellowstone camping and hiking for week long trips. I keep going back to Yellowstone and each time I go I find something new. I really don't have the urge to go back to Glacier. I'm getting to the age now though where just sitting on the deck of Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons with a cold refreshment is enough hiking for me.

Lived in Vancouver for a couple years and never made it out that far east. Very much regret that. Banff is definitely on our (my wife and I's) bucket list. We will very likely make it up there in the next five years.

I was in Vancouver on vacation about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful city and very interesting place. We stayed right on the harbor at the Pan Pacific hotel and watched the cruise ships dock outside our hotel and watched the sea planes land and take off. Very cool. And the food was phenomenal. We ate at the Blue Water Cafe and some German place down in Gastown that were to die for. And the market at Granville Island was very cool, wish we could have spent a little more time there.

Just pulled into Calgary a little bit ago. Almost didn't make it across the border (had to drive way too fast to get there) at 2300, I understand why. But the lady was a bitch.

Got 4-5 days in Canada before heading to Wisconsin next week. Last year we hit Atikokan for a few days then Thunder Bay.

We're gonna head to Banff tomorrow. Then Jasper. After that no idea. I've never heard of Yoho, but I'll look into it. Any advice is appreciated.

1st of all...download AllTrails app! A MUST!

Spent a week in Canada. We stayed in the town of Banff. As far as food goes...the only restaurant that stood out was Nourish which happens to be a vegan joint but outstanding food. Canmore is a neat little town with an amazing juice stop called Toniq and breakfast/lunch café called Communitea

We hiked:

Grassi Lakes minutes outside of Canmore (closed for the season but recommend it when it opens back up).

Rock Isle Lake via Sunshine: this is a 20min gondola to a 10min ski lift that takes you to 3 lakes to hike around, one is called Grizzly Lake.

Plain of the Six Glaciers: this is the hike next to Lake Louise that takes you to two Tea Houses in the middle of the mountains, cash only. To extend this trail you hike to Little Beehive and Lake Agnes. Watched 4 avalanches at the upper Tea House! Get here by atleast 7am!

Johnson Lake is an easy little 3 mile lake 5 min outside of Banff, simple to get to with pretty decent views, nothing too crazy, near the Cascade Ponds which is a nice little public park

Stanley Glacier is in Kootenay and it's a doozy of a hike. The most amazing views but you gotta be a decent hiker for this one

The Paint Pots and Marble Canyon in Kootenay are two little 1mile out and backs that are actually pretty amazing to see and 5 mins apart

Emerald Lake is located in Yoho and is a no elevation gain hike around a stunning turquoise lake. Walk it early and counterclockwise for the best experience!

Sherbrooke Lake is located in Yoho and is quite possibly my favorite hike of all time. Only 6 people on the trail, although a step climb it's short lived and very rewarding, found a 100 year old loggin boot and had a large Moose in the area when we were at the lake, stunning lake!

Bow Glacier Falls is towards Jasper from Banff, this hike you will follow water the entire time, starting at a gorgeous lake you will hike the lake's edge until you reach the river, if the water is low enough you will hike the riverbed until it becomes falls and hike the falls until you reach Bow Glacier Falls!

Peyto Lake Overlook...overcrowded view of Peyto Lake and the gully going North towards Jasper...if you go, you need to hike up to the upper outlook, it's a jaunt but gets you away from the crowds.

SUMMARY: Kootenay and Yoho possess some of the quieter hikes and are actually a large portion of the park. Banff has your big bucket list hikes like Lake Louise and Lake Morraine and Johnston Canyon but these are very crowded so start early. I have not been to Jasper but will in the future. If you find any hidden gems in Jasper please share your experience! You'll be driving the Icefields Parkway cruising from Banff to Jasper, we didn't make it to see them but Mistaya Canyon might be a good stop midway for a short out and back sight-see! I cannot stress enough, download ALLTRAILS! I can't imagine outdoor adventures without it!

Spent a week in Glacier a couple years ago, the East side is quieter and we really liked Two Medicine Lake. The Looking Glass Highway takes you around the south side of the park and is stunning, Going to the Sun Road cuts right thru the park and is incredible! The NW corner of the park is Bowman and Kintla lake, both beautiful but intense roads, large boulders, hairpin turns and barely enough room for 2 lanes. The major difference between Glacier and Banff is that Glacier is really "tight". Single lane roads and large elevations gains/drops. Banff has double lane highway and theres more space around you while you drive. Both are incredible but I give the nod to Banff, Jasper appears to be even more remote. The Canadian Rockies are a hidden gem in their own right.

I've also hiked Summit County Colorado 4 separate trips and getting pretty familiar with the area if you ever make it that way it's pretty spectacular for hiking.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT