ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone travel Highway 71 from the Colorado border up to Hot Springs, SD?

Rugged part of the state with a lot of very interesting scenery. Not sure what the mobile service is like these days, so keep an old-fashioned paper map with you if you want to make any side trips to the monuments or geological sites near that route.

Drove it 11mos ago...desolate (sp)? SD state line the road got way better in SD. Definition of middle of nowhere but we enjoyed it.

Reactions: Bugeater
Many many times, grew up in Scottsbluff.....Kimball to Scottsbluff, pretty drive once you get close to Scottsbluff, but nothing inbetween service-wise...Scottsbluff to Crawford, nothing service wise, pretty drive....Crawford to Hot Springs, nothing service-wise, pretty drive. Almost all the drive is wide-open spaces with small diversions if you choose to do so.

To be honest, I'd go 385 through Chadron, might take a tiny bit longer, but more enjoyable drive.

Eat at El Charrito in Scottsbluff if you can, best Mexcian food on the planet bar none.
Evans Plunge - I know they say 'hot springs' but its usually like 85 degrees, so more like a slightly warm swimming pool

Many many times, grew up in Scottsbluff.....Kimball to Scottsbluff, pretty drive once you get close to Scottsbluff, but nothing inbetween service-wise...Scottsbluff to Crawford, nothing service wise, pretty drive....Crawford to Hot Springs, nothing service-wise, pretty drive. Almost all the drive is wide-open spaces with small diversions if you choose to do so.

To be honest, I'd go 385 through Chadron, might take a tiny bit longer, but more enjoyable drive.

Eat at El Charrito in Scottsbluff if you can, best Mexcian food on the planet bar none.
Evans Plunge - I know they say 'hot springs' but its usually like 85 degrees, so more like a slightly warm swimming pool
Thanks, great info. I have taken the 385 a few times, just thought I'd take a different route this time, should be a good drive. El Charrito sounds good, might have to stop for lunch!

We did about 17 years ago on family vacation. Came out at Crawford. Wife and kids weren't impressed because they wanted to get to Chadron. I on the other hand loved it

I've only taken 385 from Chadron.
Rugged part of the state with a lot of very interesting scenery. Not sure what the mobile service is like these days, so keep an old-fashioned paper map with you if you want to make any side trips to the monuments or geological sites near that route.
can also download google maps offline for the area. I remember doing that when I went over seas. Probably the same concept.

Is it payed the entire way?

Years ago I used to take my motorcycle and let her rip up to the Sounth Dakota border and back a few times. The road from Crawford north was new, but then turned to gravel at Ardmore, so no one was ever on it and it wasnt really patrolled. Loved the view and the open road and could really test the bike out.

Had the highway to myself, except for the herd if antelope that I was able to stop only a few feet in front of.

Years ago I used to take my motorcycle and let her rip up to the Sounth Dakota border and back a few times. The road from Crawford north was new, but then turned to gravel at Ardmore, so no one was ever on it and it wasnt really patrolled. Loved the view and the open road and could really test the bike out.

Had the highway to myself, except for the herd if antelope that I was able to stop only a few feet in front of.
I hope it's paved, that would be a lot of rough road to drive.

I bet that was an oh heck moment.

thru sb and straight north, go by ranch with all the windmills, go toward crafrd, stop over to ft rob for lunch, back to crawfrd and turn north on east side of town, north toward ardmore and check out old house to the west before crossing over into sd, ck out ardmore and spend night if you have any guts, north toward hot springs, stop along road at crystal springs and take a dip -old swimming hole for crazy horse. dry off and go on into hot springs, go up to va and check out the old dom -kind of amazing.

I have made that drive in reverse. If you have time to sightsee and/or hike, go stop at Scottsbluff and north of there Toadstool. When you leave Toadstool, go bushwhacking on your way north into South Dakota towards the Black Hills/Badlands. You can stop at Warbonnet Battlefield Monument. It is in the middle of the Ogallala Grasslands. It is the sight of where Bill Cody who was an Army guide encountered Cheyenne Indian Yellow Hair. It is often referred to as the first scalp for Custer as it was the first major battle after the Little Big Horn massacre. A lot of the story is likely pulp fiction, but it is an easy drive across the beautiful prairie northwest of Toadstool.
Buffalo-Bills-Duel-With-Yellowhand_0.jpg

224159558_10223139158119781_1403868515395642091_n.jpg

We drove that way through the Wildcat Hills, Scottsbluff and up past Fort Robinson. Its a scenic and historic drive. Ardmore, SD is like a time capsule of a failed dry farming town. That's great route in my opinion.

Ta
Or at least from Kimball on up to Hot Springs. Not a very busy road for sure but I have never taken that way. Any thoughts?
taken it many times ! Not a bad road if you are ok with 2 lane roads, some good some just ok !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT