ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anybody else watch the PGA championship today?

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Wow! That was a great last round. I loved the way it was rapid fire shot after shot instead of 5 minute interviews with has beens. Morikawa pulled a couple of shots out of his butt at the end but man he hit it straight all day. Chip in that bounded off the collar of the fringe and went straight in. Drove a par 4 then holed the putt for eagle. Wow wow wow. Dustin Johnson was right there and couldn't keep his driver in the fairway. So at least I have golf to look forward to this fall. Several good young players who are going to be fun to watch.

Wow! That was a great last round. I loved the way it was rapid fire shot after shot instead of 5 minute interviews with has beens. Morikawa pulled a couple of shots out of his butt at the end but man he hit it straight all day. Chip in that bounded off the collar of the fringe and went straight in. Drove a par 4 then holed the putt for eagle. Wow wow wow. Dustin Johnson was right there and couldn't keep his driver in the fairway. So at least I have golf to look forward to this fall. Several good young players who are going to be fun to watch.

It was great golf, but it sucks not having fans. There is still pressure, but I'd like to see how Morikawa performs when then are roars all over the golf course and eyes on him the entire time. Not saying he wouldn't have had the same result, I just like having more pressure built in for these guys. But it was great. Had one point where there were 8 guys tied for the lead.

It was great golf, but it sucks not having fans. There is still pressure, but I'd like to see how Morikawa performs when then are roars all over the golf course and eyes on him the entire time. Not saying he wouldn't have had the same result, I just like having more pressure built in for these guys. But it was great. Had one point where there were 8 guys tied for the lead.
It probably felt a lot like a college golf tournament for him.

I've tried to watch baseball, Nascar, and basketball...but they all had the same result for me and that is...it just isn't the same without fans and now I don't bother anymore.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Hockey feels pretty much the same but that's it
I really don't mind the fan-less baseball broadcasts. In fact, not having a gabby sideline reporter wandering around the ballpark looking for something to chat about is kind of refreshing.

It's certainly better than no live sports.

I really don't mind the fan-less baseball broadcasts. In fact, not having a gabby sideline reporter wandering around the ballpark looking for something to chat about is kind of refreshing.

I'm curious what the ratings are, because I'm not so sure most people agree with that last sentence. I'd rather rinse out the deck on my mower than watch anything that is currently on.

I'm curious what the ratings are, because I'm not so sure most people agree with that last sentence. I'd rather rinse out the deck on my mower than watch anything that is currently on.
NBA ratings are stable, trending higher than normal.

regional baseball is way up (50% higher in MN, for example).

PGA Championship posted record ratings this weekend.

turns out people like to watch sports. who knew?

IMO, it was MUCH more enjoyable to watch. Just pure golf. Shot after shot. I love it. I'm so sick of the morons yelling, "you the man" and "get in the hole" on T shots. There was PLENTY of pressure on these guys yesterday as witnessed by the collapses of a couple of veterans. Morikawa has been very very good since he joined the tour and he deserved to win with those shots down the stretch when he had to have them. That chip shot that bounced off of the collar of the fringe and went in was no doubt at least part good fortune, but man that drive on that par 4 was amazing. A little more umph and he might have aced that par 4.

NBA ratings are stable, trending higher than normal.

regional baseball is way up (50% higher in MN, for example).

PGA Championship posted record ratings this weekend.

turns out people like to watch sports. who knew?
I really think that people like the rapid fire format with less BS by the commentators. I've watched a total of about 5 minutes of NBA since it came back. I'm having a problem with the BLM signs on the floors. Nothing like a political party advertisement to make you lose interest.

IMO, it was MUCH more enjoyable to watch. Just pure golf. Shot after shot. I love it. I'm so sick of the morons yelling, "you the man" and "get in the hole" on T shots. There was PLENTY of pressure on these guys yesterday as witnessed by the collapses of a couple of veterans. Morikawa has been very very good since he joined the tour and he deserved to win with those shots down the stretch when he had to have them. That chip shot that bounced off of the collar of the fringe and went in was no doubt at least part good fortune, but man that drive on that par 4 was amazing. A little more umph and he might have aced that par 4.

I agree with you on the spectators yelling shit the entire time, but the pressure is just not the same and many tour pros have said this week after week. I don't care who you are, you add thousands of people it is going to change your game a little bit and that is what separates the greats from the rest. Colin has a bright future, but I be more on his train when he wins a major when he can hear screaming coming from every hole and all kinds of eyes on him live.

I agree with you on the spectators yelling shit the entire time, but the pressure is just not the same and many tour pros have said this week after week. I don't care who you are, you add thousands of people it is going to change your game a little bit and that is what separates the greats from the rest. Colin has a bright future, but I be more on his train when he wins a major when he can hear screaming coming from every hole and all kinds of eyes on him live.
He already has won twice I think on the PGA tour. Yes a major is a little more pressure but that isn't because there are fans there IMO. I don't think the best players even hear the fans for the most part. I sure as hell don't remember hearing fans back in the day playing sports. It's just part of the background noise. As it was he had a TV camerman constantly in his way and circling around him. He knew millions of people were watching. To me THAT creates more pressure than fans on the course. When you KNOW that if you pick your nose at the wrong minute it will be recorded and played back for decades.....:oops:

He already has won twice I think on the PGA tour. Yes a major is a little more pressure but that isn't because there are fans there IMO. I don't think the best players even hear the fans for the most part. I sure as hell don't remember hearing fans back in the day playing sports. It's just part of the background noise. As it was he had a TV camerman constantly in his way and circling around him. He knew millions of people were watching. To me THAT creates more pressure than fans on the course. When you KNOW that if you pick your nose at the wrong minute it will be recorded and played back for decades.....:oops:

I'm just going off of what Jason Day, Rory, DJ Brooks and other stars have said. The pressure is there when people are in attendance and that it doesn't feel the same.

Yeah I didn't happen to watch much of the PGA this weekend, but when I had it on briefly the lack of a crowd didn't really bother me.

The fan-less MLB broadcasts actually remind me of the games I watched when I was a kid, when the announcers just focused on the game and didn't feel the need to bring me captivating human interest stories from around the ballpark.

Like everyone else, I want fans to be able to attend games again. But when I'm just watching on TV it doesn't really affect my level of interest or enjoyment.

I'm just going off of what Jason Day, Rory, DJ Brooks and other stars have said. The pressure is there when people are in attendance and that it doesn't feel the same.
I'm sure it's different for them but man winning a major with a TV camera on you takes iron nuts. Interestingly Rory hasn't won one in years and the other guys melted down on Sunday.

Yeah I didn't happen to watch much of the PGA this weekend, but when I had it on briefly the lack of a crowd didn't really bother me.

The fan-less MLB broadcasts actually remind me of the games I watched when I was a kid, when the announcers just focused on the game and didn't feel the need to bring me captivating human interest stories from around the ballpark.

Like everyone else, I want fans to be able to attend games again. But when I'm just watching on TV it doesn't really affect my level of interest or enjoyment.
I do miss the fan aspect on baseball broadcasts to some degree. You know, the crack of a bat, the roar of the crowd, the random guy catching a fly ball in his beer cup.....

I really think that people like the rapid fire format with less BS by the commentators. I've watched a total of about 5 minutes of NBA since it came back. I'm having a problem with the BLM signs on the floors. Nothing like a political party advertisement to make you lose interest.

oops.

Exactly what I was thinking. Paul Casey came right out and said it likely would've been different with fans. However, he did credit Morikawa and this is not the first tournament that Morikawa has done well, he's been right there all season.

Exactly what I was thinking. Paul Casey came right out and said it likely would've been different with fans. However, he did credit Morikawa and this is not the first tournament that Morikawa has done well, he's been right there all season.
Paul Casey is an ass hat.

Loved the tournament and not having the network only focus on Woods. It is refreshing to see new blood each week.

I never realized how many commercials there were it seemed like 40% of the broadcast was that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT