ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Advice on which shotgun

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
So I used to be an avid hunter & owned several shotguns as a young adult. Now that I am older and the youngest is about to move out I am looking to get back to my hobby of clay target shooting and maybe some pheasant and turkey hunting but I am more into bow and arrow when it comes to hunting turkeys.

Anyways I wont do this but maybe 5-6 times a year so I am not willing to blow $1500 on a shotgun that isn't going to be used that often. I have found three that I think are budget friendly and yet are reliable, light weight, and will serve the purpose I need.

Seeing how for the last 20 years I have focused most of my weapon knowledge on handguns, I am looking for advice on which semi-auto shotgun do you all think is the best deal out of these three.

Looking for advice from my fellow Husker fans. If you have one that you think is better for around that $500-$1000 let me know. I want new, 12 gauge, and semi-auto.

So I used to be an avid hunter & owned several shotguns as a young adult. Now that I am older and the youngest is about to move out I am looking to get back to my hobby of clay target shooting and maybe some pheasant and turkey hunting but I am more into bow and arrow when it comes to hunting turkeys.

Anyways I wont do this but maybe 5-6 times a year so I am not willing to blow $1500 on a shotgun that isn't going to be used that often. I have found three that I think are budget friendly and yet are reliable, light weight, and will serve the purpose I need.

Seeing how for the last 20 years I have focused most of my weapon knowledge on handguns, I am looking for advice on which semi-auto shotgun do you all think is the best deal out of these three.

Looking for advice from my fellow Husker fans. If you have one that you think is better for around that $500-$1000 let me know. I want new, 12 gauge, and semi-auto.

You can’t go wrong with the Stoeger. I shot one for 10 years before I upgraded to the benelli. I still have that Stoeger and friends use it from time to time. No complaints and for the price it’s hard to beat.

Reactions: bomber89
I have a Franchi I-12 and love it. Feels great, aims well and very reliable. Made by Benelli and I think I paid 800 or so a few years ago. The only problem with mine is it can't hit a pheasant in flight. ;)

Last edited:
Between the three you listed I'd go with the Stoeger, believe that's what my brother in law has. I'd personally add a Mossberg 930/935 to the list as well, same price range as the Stoeger and I like Mossberg's shotguns. They aren't the prettiest but they are darn reliable.

Beretta or Benelli.......... Which one is better?

Here are a couple of options slightly above your preferred price range:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...2ga-3in-semi-automatic-shotgun-28in/p/1298357

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...guns/benelli-vinci-semi-auto-shotgun/p/p42331

If you don't mind pushing the upper edge of your listed budget, both of these would be great options as well.

If/when you picked out a model, I'd use gun.deals to run a search to find you the best deal. Its saved me quite a bit of cash.

When in doubt, go with anything that starts with a "B"... Beretta, Benelli, Browning...

I personally prefer Beretta over all other shotguns... you could probably find a used Xtrema2, AL391 or A400 that's in terrific condition and be on par with a new gun without the huge price tag....

I own a Remington and a Benelli and prefer the Remington. Both are very good but it boils down to feel for me.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Everyone has their personal choice regarding shotguns. I currently have various shotguns ranging from an old SKB sxs to a benelli super black eagle. Have all the B's covered with over and unders as well. All shotguns were purchased for either a specific purpose or just wanted the gun, i.e. sxs. At the end of the day, you want an all around shotgun within a certain budget. First, I would recommend paying a big more because I think you will be more satisfied with a higher end shotgun. Second, I go to a range with your friends to test their shotguns. It is likely your friends will have all the above, which you can then test.
Ok, once it is chosen, go get fitted like golf clubs. Good luck and have fun.

A very under rated shotgun is Tri Star. Made in Turkey. Price is 300-600 depending on model. I sell a fair amount of them and haven’t had any complaints. Other than that I’ve had good luck with both Remington and Beneli. I’d buy more off of what fits you best and what is most comfortable to shoulder and aim.

A very under rated shotgun is Tri Star. Made in Turkey. Price is 300-600 depending on model. I sell a fair amount of them and haven’t had any complaints. Other than that I’ve had good luck with both Remington and Beneli. I’d buy more off of what fits you best and what is most comfortable to shoulder and aim.

I've heard good things about the TriStar shotguns as well as their CZ-75 clone handguns. My biggest concern was warranty service, haven't heard enough about their customer service to really get an idea if it's more Ruger (good) or Taurus (slow as hell, though to be fair they usually eventually take care of you). Also worth noting TriStar is an importer, their handguns are produced by Canik (I think all of them) and the shotgun mentioned is produced by Armsan. I've always wondered how warranty service would be handled if they were to stop importing for those brands.

I've heard good things about the TriStar shotguns as well as their CZ-75 clone handguns. My biggest concern was warranty service, haven't heard enough about their customer service to really get an idea if it's more Ruger (good) or Taurus (slow as hell, though to be fair they usually eventually take care of you). Also worth noting TriStar is an importer, their handguns are produced by Canik (I think all of them) and the shotgun mentioned is produced by Armsan. I've always wondered how warranty service would be handled if they were to stop importing for those brands.
The one issue I was aware of was on the older ones the charging handle would fall out. Customer called and they sent him the new version along with a spare. Took about 2 weeks to get parts but it did fix the issue.

When I was in HS I hunted with an 870 so much that when I tried to use a semi-auto my brain just couldn't handle it. I kept trying to pump the dang thing. I don't hunt anymore. Why? I like sleeping in and I'd rather go fishing. Trap is fun, but again - rather fish. Still have my 870 as a hedge against zombies though!

Living here in Eastern Washington I want a lightweight shotgun. I hunt a lot of valley quail (Similar to a bobwhite, but run a little more) and chukar that can be found in pretty rough, hilly, rocky and sagebrush covered ground. I do a little mountain grouse hunting as well. So I like easy carrying guns. I am also 64 years old. My go-to gun is a Beretta 686 Onyx 20 gauge. When I hunt pheasants I use 3 inch magnum shells 5 shot after about a month into the season. Washington State has large tracts of state hunting land paid for with hunting license fees. These lands are ideal quail, chukar and in some cases Hungarian partridge habitat. Unfortunately for lazy hunters the state also releases pen raised (chickens) pheasants at some of these sites. On the state lands where pheasants are released the state has decreed that only toxic shells are allowed. Bismuth shells are too expensive so I bought this October a new Mossberg SA 20 Autoloader shotgun to use so I can use cheaper steel shot when I have to go nontoxic. I love it. I was looking at a Benelli, but I went cheaper with Mossberg. I have been more than happy with the Turkish built shotgun. It's quick, light and has never jammed on me. Mossberg 930 is their 12 gauge autoloader

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Have my Baretta 390 for about 25 years - Love it! Unfortunately I haven't been hunting for 10

not a shotgun, but close to purchasing a Sig P365 with the manual safety. handled one in the store, and something seems right about the size for concealed carry.

not a shotgun, but close to purchasing a Sig P365 with the manual safety. handled one in the store, and something seems right about the size for concealed carry.
I bought one, after they got the firing pin deal fixed. 10 rounds, shoots flat.......can't beat it for conceal carry

Reactions: NikkiSixx

I've heard great things. Already have a M&P Shield I use for carry, but if I was buying now I'd look hard at the P365.

I've heard great things. Already have a M&P Shield I use for carry, but if I was buying now I'd look hard at the P365.

I would buy the new Springfield Armory Hellcat before the sig P365 as it carries two more rounds and is virtually the same size & weight. Jmo

I would buy the new Springfield Armory Hellcat before the sig P365 as it carries two more rounds and is virtually the same size & weight. Jmo
also heard of this one.. but haven't seen it in person. Not sure what to think about Springfield though.. once a good brand, but seems tarnished in politics lately.

Reactions: barney44
also heard of this one.. but haven't seen it in person. Not sure what to think about Springfield though.. once a good brand, but seems tarnished in politics lately.

I do like Springfield but yes they’ve definitely become a tarnished brand.

I do like Springfield but yes they’ve definitely become a tarnished brand.
I understand what you mean, but to be fair they've done quite a bit since then to make up for it as far as lobbying and such, so while I don't forget I have forgiven to an extent. People forget that Ruger and Smith & Wesson both did similar things.

If I were going to get a Springfield for carry, it would probably be an XDE. I'm a big fan of DA/SA guns and it's pretty close in size to my Shield. I do own one of their Loaded 1911s in stainless, really nice piece. I actually live within an hour or so of their HQ, hoping to go visit just for the heck of it sometime. When I get my student loans forgiven, I'm actually going to apply there, would really like to get into the industry.

Reactions: barney44
I understand what you mean, but to be fair they've done quite a bit since then to make up for it as far as lobbying and such, so while I don't forget I have forgiven to an extent. People forget that Ruger and Smith & Wesson both did similar things.

If I were going to get a Springfield for carry, it would probably be an XDE. I'm a big fan of DA/SA guns and it's pretty close in size to my Shield. I do own one of their Loaded 1911s in stainless, really nice piece. I actually live within an hour or so of their HQ, hoping to go visit just for the heck of it sometime. When I get my student loans forgiven, I'm actually going to apply there, would really like to get into the industry.

I’m not opposed to Springfield and have always liked some of their stuff. These manufacturers do require some policing though or they’ll cut back room deals just to save their bacon. Springfield has definitely not been alone here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT