ADVERTISEMENT

OT advice for employment

Is he willing to get dirty and tired?

I worked with a guy who worked for Hess oil. They pull oil out of the Bakken(sp) oil field between Montana and Canada. He made 10000 a week.

If I was young, I would suggest going into the gas and oil industry for 8 years and quit. Then go do what I want to do.

After 8 years of working and saving he would come out with about 1.2 mil after tax in the bank. Invest that into dividend paying aristocrat mutual funds and he's making something like 40k a year mailbox money.

Then he can go get a job at a coffee shop flirting with the girls making coffee and BS'ing all day.

The addiction to drugs is just part of the career field.

I echo the trades. I'm not in a trade, but have friends owning or managing a number of plumbing and/or electrical outfits. I know these trades can't fill the positions they need right now. There is always the risk that the building boom slows. on the other hand, there are a lot of those guys nearing retirement without a whole lot of young guys replacing them from what I understand. He won't make much for a couple of years, but as someone mentioned above, these guys don't do too bad for themselves once you get past the apprenticeship.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I should have asked this question a couple years ago!

Knowing him as I do, I'm not sure that military, trade school, or oil & gas industry is his thing. Great ideas though.

He has mentioned getting "certifications" in various programming languages, C++, Python, other things I know little about. I'm assuming he can get these through the local community colleges in Kansas City. Then, with these certifications in hand, begin applying tor IT positions at large companies? I've encouraged him to leverage the local community college career center to chart his path, and go to career fairs to speak with future employers to help narrow his certification capabilities. Just not sure he's seen the light yet...

My 26-year old son is a dependable, smart, and loyal worker. He did very well in high school, graduated, went off to college, but just never engaged there. Spent a couple years floundering and not knowing what he wanted to do with college. Left college after 2 years without much to show for it. Took some classes at the local community college over the next couple years while working. He's never seemed to figure out his career path, and has been working full-time at the same retail restaurant chain for 5 years now. I'd really like to see him figure out a career path soon...whether that means getting a degree or finding another place of employment that would offer some real career advancement potential without a degree. As time goes by, I'm not seeing the traditional 4-year college degree being in his future. Similar to many people his age, he enjoys working on computers but also has good people skills. I think if he found the right company to work for...one that would allow him to grow and advance...he would really excel. The retail restaurant business is not that, and he knows it is time to move on.

Any suggestions appreciated.
I come from a long line of BA/MBA types, and so was a little dismayed when my son announced his intention to go to trade school. He got certifications in welding, which he really loves. Huge demand and good pay. Then his company invested in computerized welding and CNC machinery (plasma and water). His hours of playing video games paid off - he is now (1 year later) running the computerized milling machines. He loves it, he leaves his work at work, and he is making great $, especially for a 20 something single guy. I have a friend who owns a welding and milling company that tells me he can't get enough workers. They start at $25, and can quickly work their way up to $40+. Not CEO pay, but figure six figures once the person gets into line management. With your son's college time, probably only one year to get certified. Not a job for everyone, but worth considering.

Reactions: schuele
If he wants to try out certain courses there are IT websites like cybrary.it or pluralsight.com that doesn’t cost much. They teach everything from programming to cyber security. That way he can see if he is interested in those fields before enrolling in a local school.

don't go into computer programming.. it's been taken over by Indians, and only a shell of what that field used to be.

Go with something like a Union Electrician.

Reactions: tpmcg
i would second the notion of doing something that cant be exported and reimported.

He has mentioned getting "certifications" in various programming languages, C++, Python, other things I know little about.

Personally, I would not recommend spending a lot of time and money trying to get tech certifications. Most are not worth the paper they are printed on. Everybody goes out and gets them when they're unemployed or underemployed, but they don't substitute for actual job experience. The only one that really benefits is the guy teaching the certification course or collecting the testing fee.

He'd be just as well off trying to hook up with a startup, or volunteering some hours with a non-profit, to see if he can find a project that is challenging but doable. Then he'd have actual examples and references to provide as he builds up his resume.

I'd suggest learning how to operate equipment for construction projects. There is a huge need for this and the pay is very very good. With the US coming into an infrastructure crisis, there is going to be nothing but work.

Second UPS. I've worked restaurants, I liked it a lot and it can be good money but it's usually zero benefits.

I applied at UPS to do seasonal night work loading and unloading trucks. I didn't end up having enough availability for them but holy crap, the base pay is good, the benefits are good, and you bonus just for showing up.

Literally I would have gotten like $70 a week in bonuses for just coming to work on time when I was supposed to be there.

But the ultimate answer is that he isn't going to change what he's doing until it stops working for him and he decides it has to change.

I'd recommend getting an Electrician or Plumber job and certf. Maybe he could start his own business down the road if he's a go getter making as much as Drs.

That, or maybe he could apply at Rivals and rate HS prospects, he's probably just as qualified as the current evaluators.
Plumbers: your sh** is my gravy

Reactions: leodisflowers
Second UPS. I've worked restaurants, I liked it a lot and it can be good money but it's usually zero benefits.

I applied at UPS to do seasonal night work loading and unloading trucks. I didn't end up having enough availability for them but holy crap, the base pay is good, the benefits are good, and you bonus just for showing up.

Literally I would have gotten like $70 a week in bonuses for just coming to work on time when I was supposed to be there.

But the ultimate answer is that he isn't going to change what he's doing until it stops working for him and he decides it has to change.

I'm not sure how it compares, but I had the same experience with FedEx. I was actually going to drive regularly for them in college, but they wanted me to take a 2 week training course and I couldn't be gone. The money was really good and so were the benefits. That was about 17 years ago, but still.

Plumbers: your sh** is my gravy
cbe4734a12f098702da0e83aae372edd.jpg

Fire departments or law enforcement at bigger western cities. Make 150k/yr with some OT and defined benefit retirement plans fully vested at 25-30 years.

There’s no doubt it’s physical but if you’re a former athlete/team guy and are willing to stay fit into your 50s it’s a natural progression.

any of the trades are worthwhile

good ones are never out of work, can be your own boss and skills transfer into many facets of life

He sounds a little mike me when I was in my 20s. I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do and stayed in the restaurant biz for longer than I should have. The money can be good there and there is a certain lifestyle you just become accustomed to. I realized I didn't want to wait tables and bartend my whole life, but I was very much a people person and the hospitality business suited my personality. I finally left restaurants and moved over to hotels.

There are lots of opportunities in hotels. Many of them are similar to the restaurant industry, but there are some paths that are more career oriented. I worked at the front desk and learned the ropes of the industry (took a pay cut for a couple years to do it) and then was able to get into hotel group sales. It won't make you rich, but is much more of a career than many hospitality jobs. It's also generally 8-5 Monday-Friday, which is much nicer than most hospitality jobs. You might start at $50k or so, but the opportunity is there to move up and make $60-$70k and the Directors of Sales at a full service hotel are generally in the neighborhood of $100k. Again, not something that is going to make you rich, but a very respectable career path for someone that likes the hospitality industry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT