ADVERTISEMENT

OSU expected to have 16 players drafted....

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
In this years draft. Also, a good chance at tying or breaking Miami's 2004 record with 6 players selected in the first round. That is damn impressive. NU at best will have 4 players drafted this year. NU needs to get back to recruiting and developing similar type talent if we want to win titles. We are on the right track. Here's to all our guys. Hope Maliek, VV, Alex and Andy all get their names called next few days!! GBR

Last edited:
Good lord, 16 players drafted is amazing.

I wonder if us changing coaches wasn't worse for the Buckeyes than it was for Nebraska. Nebraska dropped from a 9-win team to a 6-win team, but the Bucks, with the addition of our former OC, dropped from a national champion to not making the playoffs. I think that if they had made a better hire when their QB coach left last year, they would have repeated as champions. That team was just loaded with talent last year.

Reactions: SOHusker11
In this years draft. Also, a good chance at tying or breaking Miami's 2004 record with 6 players selected in the first round. That is damn impressive. NU at best will have 4 players drafted this year. NU needs to get back to recruiting and developing similar type talent if we want to win titles. We are on the right track. Here's to all our guys. Hope Maliek, VV, Alex and Andy all get their names called next few days!! GBR
5 in first round for Buckeyes. Impressive.

I wonder if us changing coaches wasn't worse for the Buckeyes than it was for Nebraska. Nebraska dropped from a 9-win team to a 6-win team, but the Bucks, with the addition of our former OC, dropped from a national champion to not making the playoffs. I think that if they had made a better hire when their QB coach left last year, they would have repeated as champions. That team was just loaded with talent last year.

While there are some in Buckeyeland who aren't the biggest Beck fans, it's unfair to throw the blame on him. There was an article on a major site that brought up the history of OC's and the results under their first year with Meyer. It seems there may be an intro period for the OC and Meyer to get into a groove. It compared Herman in 2012 to what followed the next year.

In addition there were other contributing factors: complacency, uncertainty at QB to start the season, and while the repeat as champion or bust left very little margin of error in meeting expectations, it was still a team that only lost one game in a final second field goal under weird circumstances, and led the conference in scoring while ending the season in two big wins against two high quality opponents.

Reactions: cooldude33
I agree..pretty far stretch to put Beck as the responsible party here (but not surprised to read...apparently any coach from our last staff is basically responsible for any wrongdoing that has or will occur in any part of our society).

Congrats to OSU on their success in the draft. My thoughts are let's just focus on trying to have a winning record this year.

GBR

Reactions: jeans15
I agree..pretty far stretch to put Beck as the responsible party here (but not surprised to read...apparently any coach from our last staff is basically responsible for any wrongdoing that has or will occur in any part of our society).

Congrats to OSU on their success in the draft. My thoughts are let's just focus on trying to have a winning record this year.

GBR
why even say this? People have been complimentary of Ron Brown, Charlton Warren, Garrison, Barney (insofar as his being above the fray and his love and respect for Nebraska)... The only coaches that really seem to get crapped on are Bo and Kaz, with sprinkles of Beck and the golf coach here and there.

But go ahead with the narrative that fans down on the previous coaching staff hated them all, if it makes you feel better.

why even say this? People have been complimentary of Ron Brown, Charlton Warren, Garrison, Barney (insofar as his being above the fray and his love and respect for Nebraska)... The only coaches that really seem to get crapped on are Bo and Kaz, with sprinkles of Beck and the golf coach here and there.

But go ahead with the narrative that fans down on the previous coaching staff hated them all, if it makes you feel better.
Go ahead and add JP to the crapped on list, deservedly so, IMO.

GBR

Yes, good points, I'm sure OSU's drop-off in QB play had absolutely nothing to do with bad QB coaching. And Nebraska football will only have a good season if we, as fans, focus on trying to have a winning record this year.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun

You really have to ask that question on this site?

You really have to ask that question on this site?
You're right... Jay is gonna troll by pretending this site thinks all the old coaches are bad and worthy of being crapped on. I should just expect it even though it's not true.

My bad.

You're right... Jay is gonna troll by pretending this site thinks all the old coaches are bad and worthy of being crapped on. I should just expect it even though it's not true.

My bad.
He's not trolling. He just always complains about this site. Has done it for years.

There were six players from the conference picked in Thursday’s first round, which gives the Big Ten a total of 23 selections through the first two days of the draft. The SEC, considered by many to be the most dominant college football conference in the nation, had 22 picks through the first two days. - See more at: http://btn.com/2016/04/30/nfl-draft...ayers-selected-on-day-2/#sthash.enVusEOJ.dpuf
Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer 8h8 hours ago

Ohio State produced as many picks in the first three rounds as the Pac-12, and one more than the Big 12.

There were six players from the conference picked in Thursday’s first round, which gives the Big Ten a total of 23 selections through the first two days of the draft. The SEC, considered by many to be the most dominant college football conference in the nation, had 22 picks through the first two days. - See more at: http://btn.com/2016/04/30/nfl-draft...ayers-selected-on-day-2/#sthash.enVusEOJ.dpuf
Draft picks through 4 rounds:

B1G 32
SEC 31
ACC 17
Big12 14
Pac12 12

It had nothing to do with overall talent, or play calling, or any of that garbage. Urban was too chicken or too stupid to play their best QB from Day 1. Anyone with a brain could see that Cardale Jones was not consistent enough to run that offense with the same efficiency that JT Barett did, plus the ensuing media circus about the QB controversy/competition had to be distracting for the team.

With all that being said, they still likely repeat as MNC (or at least play Bama for the title) if Zeke Elliott had gotten the ball more in the MSU game (and don't blame that all on the OC, Urban is the freaking head coach and could certainly have interfered with the playcalling at some point had he really wanted to).

Although I did read the other day that Elliott supposedly had some type of leg injury that week and could barely walk on the Monday before the game. But still, the ridiculous QB crap almost cost them a couple of more games (eked out a win against Northern Illinois, definitely should have lost to Indiana).

And blaming it on "QB coaching" is just absurd. Whenever Cardale is in the game, they look like crap, and when JT comes in they look just like the NC team did. Yeah, that sure is some crappy QB coaching there.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeans15
It had nothing to do with overall talent, or play calling, or any of that garbage. Urban was too chicken or too stupid to play their best QB from Day 1. Anyone with a brain could see that Cardale Jones was not consistent enough to run that offense with the same efficiency that JT Barett did, plus the ensuing media circus about the QB controversy/competition had to be distracting for the team.

With all that being said, they still likely repeat as MNC (or at least play Bama for the title) if Zeke Elliott had gotten the ball more in the MSU game (and don't blame that all on the OC, Urban is the freaking head coach and could certainly have interfered with the playcalling at some point had he really wanted to).

Although I did read the other day that Elliott supposedly had some type of leg injury that week and could barely walk on the Monday before the game. But still, the ridiculous QB crap almost cost them a couple of more games (eked out a win against Northern Illinois, definitely should have lost to Indiana).

And blaming it on "QB coaching" is just absurd. Whenever Cardale is in the game, they look like crap, and when JT comes it they look just like the NC team did. Yeah, that sure is some crappy QB coaching there.

So the key takeaways from your post are to not blame offensive play calling on the OC and not to blame bad QB play on poor QB coaching.

Good stuff to know, thanks.

And blaming it on "QB coaching" is just absurd. Whenever Cardale is in the game, they look like crap, and when JT comes it they look just like the NC team did. Yeah, that sure is some crappy QB coaching there.

Cardale Jones is the only reason Ohio State won a title a couple year ago. They don't win squat if JT doesn't go down.

So the key takeaways from your post are to not blame offensive play calling on the OC and not to blame bad QB play on poor QB coaching.

Good stuff to know, thanks.

So when a QB is just not as good as the guy backing him up and sitting on the bench, that is all on "bad QB coaching."

Got it. You sure know a lot about football.

I guess Nebraska had horrible QB coaching last year every time that Tommy threw a pick.

So when a QB is just not as good as the guy backing him up and sitting on the bench, that is all on "bad QB coaching."

Got it. You sure know a lot about football.

I guess Nebraska had horrible QB coaching last year every time that Tommy threw a pick.

Gosh, you sure know a lot about life. How crazy is it to actually hold somebody accountable for doing the job for which they were hired? I must be insane to want to do that.

Of course I question the play-calling and coaching last year when TA was put into situations where he had to throw the ball that often. You noticed the game-plan against UCLA was to use TA often as a runner, and not put him into too many obvious passing situations.

I am happy with all the recruiting momentum MR and staff have generated over the past few months, and I'm happy with the bowl performance against UCLA, but the play-calling for a good part of last year didn't seem to fit TA's strengths, so I did question the coaching and play-calling during those games, just like I question the coaching and play-calling on OSU when the team goes from winning a national championship while dominating the last 3 games of the season in 2014 to not making the title game in 2015.

Gosh, you sure know a lot about life. How crazy is it to actually hold somebody accountable for doing the job for which they were hired? I must be insane to want to do that.

The person "accountable" for playing the wrong QB is not his position coach, you idiot.

The person "accountable" for playing the wrong QB is not his position coach, you idiot.

What are you even talking about? First you tell me that it is absurd to hold somebody accountable for doing the job they were hired to do, and now you are telling me that someone played the wrong QB. Are you saying that OSU should have been playing Jones and not Barrett, or Barrett and not Jones? Or that NU should have been playing Fyfe and not Armstrong?

Either way, my point still holds. People are accountable to do the jobs for which they hired. Clearly, this concept is a little bit above your head, so perhaps you should move along to another topic on which you're more qualified to share your opinion.

Wait, wait, wait...we're holding people "accountable for doing the job that they were hired to do"? Nice. I like that concept. So what is the list of mandatory accountability's requirements for the head football coaching job at Nebraska? I'd offer (in order of importance):
1. Winning more games than losing (and that's the polite, low expectation way of putting it. You could also add a number to quantify that stipulation & add a bowl game requirement too)
2. Maintain a high talent level of player personnel (retention, recruiting, transfer, juco's, grad transfers)
3. Running a "clean" program
4. Graduating players
5. Putting players in the pro's
6. Public relations (a category I didn't put much stock into until we experienced a major failure)

Thoughts?

Man, the attackers were fierce in this thread my way (reminds me of somebody else who used to post here). Someone should remind others that differing opinions and maintaining expectations aren't a dirty or demeaning concept. For the record, I do think Mike Riley can accomplish all 6 of those concepts I listed above.

GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: NYC-Husker
Wait, wait, wait...we're holding people "accountable for doing the job that they were hired to do"? Nice. I like that concept. So what is the list of mandatory accountability's requirements for the head football coaching job at Nebraska? I'd offer (in order of importance):
1. Winning more games than losing (and that's the polite, low expectation way of putting it. You could also add a number to quantify that stipulation & add a bowl game requirement too)
2. Maintain a high talent level of player personnel (retention, recruiting, transfer, juco's, grad transfers)
3. Running a "clean" program
4. Graduating players
5. Putting players in the pro's
6. Public relations (a category I didn't put much stock into until we experienced a major failure)

Thoughts?

Man, the attackers were fierce in this thread my way (reminds me of somebody else who used to post here). Someone should remind others that differing opinions and maintaining expectations aren't a dirty or demeaning concept. For the record, I do think Mike Riley can accomplish all 6 of those concepts I listed above.

GBR

Nice post, Jay. First, apologies to the board for being a bit harsh in my responses to the other poster. I think I went a little bit overboard with my comments, I'll tone it down going forward.

As for your 6 criteria, I think those are the correct 6 broad topics. I think I'd build out item 1 a little bit more, and add something about just showing up to play, and not getting blown out on the big stage like we did so often in the Pelini years. I'd probably also build out item 2, and talk about all-conference players, All-Americans, national award winners, etc.

For Nebraska to get back onto the national stage, we really need to show up in the big games (even if we do end up losing, we just can't get stomped 63-14 or something, for example), and we need guys who are all-conference players and finalists for the major awards, like Outland, Heisman, Doak Walker, etc. It looks like we're trending in that direction with some of the young players we have and are recruiting (at least I'm hoping we are!).

I think if the team can accomplish 1 and 2, 5 will take care of itself. Points 3 and 4 will also help feed into 1 and 2, as they are selling points to land solid recruits and win games.

Reactions: jay-cheese
Thanks. I appreciate the candid & civil response. I agree on the blowout comment and how remaining competitive in all matches is a big deal. I also agree that accomplishing some of these do directly feed & impact others...

GBR

Reactions: NYC-Husker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT