ADVERTISEMENT

one year's difference: Illinois

georgiacorn

Sophomore
Nov 2, 2001
http://www.huskermax.com/games/2014/05illinois14.html

So let me get this straight. Last season we beat Illinois 45-14. We had 458 yards rushing and nearly 700 yards of total offense. We wiped them on the floor. We pillaged their homes and stole their horses.
Then today. We passed and passed. We made lots of dumb plays. Questionable play calling akin to the previous staff.
What has happened in 12 months? Have we taken 10 steps back to take one step forward? I hated mark but this is beyond poor. How can u be so dominant over a team and be less than a shadow of that the next year?
Sick

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
Honestly, I did not think it was possible to have less of an identity than what little identity we had under Beck. But lo and behold, what I saw today was nothing but scatter play-calling. Someone dropping a pencil on a playsheet would have had more of an identity, formula, and system than we did today. Awful.
And it's also as if last year's game film does not exist. Maybe it doesn't?

Was I seeing a successful outside run game? Is it like oh that works, let's start passing going into the wind now.

Was I seeing a successful outside run game? Is it like oh that works, let's start passing going into the wind now.
This was the most puzzling thing of the game. Positive running plays were always followed by more passes, which were either dropped or horribly off mark. Only in the 4th did they consistently try to string consecutive runs, only to abandon that strategy at the worst time and leave enough time for Ill to exploit the poor pass defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT