ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Recruiting

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004
How does OU have two 5 star players and four 4 star players already committed with Lincoln Riley? Do you think NU with Scott Frost momentum from Central Florida will be able to recruit the highly recruited players or will it be tough to reel them in? Like BTN Gerry Dinardo Spring Tour at Nebraska said NU is lacking the depth and quality of the best teams in the conference. So we'll see what Scott can do. Too bad we lost out on Bookie to OU, he's making a case to be their starting CB, a position that we definitely needed.

Reactions: Corny_Sooner
How does OU have two 5 star players and four 4 star players already committed with Lincoln Riley? Do you think NU with Scott Frost momentum from Central Florida will be able to recruit the highly recruited players or will it be tough to reel them in? Like BTN Gerry Dinardo Spring Tour at Nebraska said NU is lacking the depth and quality of the best teams in the conference. So we'll see what Scott can do. Too bad we lost out on Bookie to OU, he's making a case to be their starting CB, a position that we definitely needed.

We were 4-8 last year, and not even as good as that record would indicate. What this means is that as fans, we are now free to focus less on 5 star talent, and more on seeing a competent team with an overall game plan/strategy. It's as simple as winning games. We have seen coaches that were frankly awful still recruit well to Lincoln. My best advice would be to forget about recruiting rankings. Your peace of mind will skyrocket. No one player will save us. But one coach might.

Lincoln Riley also has an entire season at OU under his belt, a season where he led his team to the playoffs.

Most of those players are from Texas. When OU is good, they've always recruited well in Texas. And OU is very good right now.

We were 4-8 last year, and not even as good as that record would indicate. What this means is that as fans, we are now free to focus less on 5 star talent, and more on seeing a competent team with an overall game plan/strategy. It's as simple as winning games. We have seen coaches that were frankly awful still recruit well to Lincoln. My best advice would be to forget about recruiting rankings. Your peace of mind will skyrocket. No one player will save us. But one coach might.

Exactly. Two losing seasons in the last three years....it's an uphill battle for HCSF but he'll hack it. Just give him some time.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Oklahoma benefited from a very smooth transition from Stoops to Riley where there wasn't a big scheme change or coaching changes.

When you don't have to make major changes every 3-6 years you're going to build consistency and a successful program.

Frost will do well right from the start, he'll want to be here and his success will eventually bring in more blue chip players.

Oklahoma benefited from a very smooth transition from Stoops to Riley where there wasn't a big scheme change or coaching changes.

When you don't have to make major changes every 3-6 years you're going to build consistency and a successful program.

Frost will do well right from the start, he'll want to be here and his success will eventually bring in more blue chip players.

I'm not sold on Riley at this point but I do agree with the smooth transition as well as Oklahoma have a name high on the pecking order helps a lot.

We also thought the transition from tom to frank was smooth, the jury is still out on Riley let's see after 6years remember frank and fsu with Jimbo. Plus there's a negative with the name Riley

We also thought the transition from tom to frank was smooth, the jury is still out on Riley let's see after 6years remember frank and fsu with Jimbo. Plus there's a negative with the name Riley

Yaa, but his first name is Lincoln.o_O

Right, I'm not saying Lincoln Riley is going to be anything great.

I'm only saying that Oklahoma recruited at a very high level with Stoops as HC so because their HC transition was so smooth (also great coaching from Stoops + coaching consistency) they're going to continue to have great recruiting classes until LR messes it all up.

I'm sorry but I still don't understand some of the hate toward Frank Solich at times on this board, after all he had the 4th best winning pct in Nebraska football history coaching 5 or more years.

Ya he wasn't Tom or Bob.

Last edited:
Take a lap

I'm sorry but I still don't understand some of the hate toward Frank Solich at times on this board, after all he had the 4th best winning pct in Nebraska football history coaching 5 or more years.

Ya he wasn't Tom or Bob.
I don't hate frank, I just don't think he should have ever been given the job in the first place I said in back in 97 when TO announce he was retiring. Frank wasn't a proven head coach and imo you don't turn over the rolls Royce to a unknown sorry guys it's always been my opinion but I've never posted anything really negative or out of line against frank

Yes, I think Frank had to go. And this issue has been debated on here endlessly. I had no issue with firing Frank. But it did destroy the last remnants of Osborne's system.

But if you really had a say would you rather have Had Dave Wannstedt or keep Frank Solich?

Because realistically that was the choice.

Ya he wasn't Tom or Bob.

True.....but he wasn't Clownahan or Smiling Mike either.

Reactions: jeans15
If/when we start putting together competitive seasons. Meaning winning 9 or more games and not getting our arses blown out on National television we will bring in top 10 classes.

If/when we start putting together competitive seasons. Meaning winning 9 or more games and not getting our arses blown out on National television we will bring in top 10 classes.
I love your optimism and I hope you're right but it's going to be tough to bring in top 10 classes. Yes I know Callahan did but he signed a huge class the year he did it.

I just don't see us outrecruiting Alabama, Ohio St , Georgia, Florida St, Clemson, Penn St, USC, UCLA, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, LSU, Notre Dame and Auburn on a year to year basis.

Top 15 for sure with an occasional Top 10 every five years or so.

I love your optimism and I hope you're right but it's going to be tough to bring in top 10 classes. Yes I know Callahan did but he signed a huge class the year he did it.

I just don't see us outrecruiting Alabama, Ohio St , Georgia, Florida St, Clemson, Penn St, USC, UCLA, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, LSU, Notre Dame and Auburn on a year to year basis.

Does a huge class matter when your highest 20 are the only ones that count?

Does a huge class matter when your highest 20 are the only ones that count?
Did Rivals do it that way in 2005? I thought their Team Ranking system back then was different than it is now?

Given Frank's record overall, was it really that bad for the University to let him go?

You could see the writing on the wall regardless of the alleged impropriety....which if true IS a true liability. Petrino anyone?

But if you really had a say would you rather have Had Dave Wannstedt or keep Frank Solich?

Because realistically that was the choice.

That was an administrative decision. Frank should have been let go the year before. Recruiting was garbage and we were coming off of the first non-winning record in decades. Frank was not the answer. Clearly Callahan wasn't either. Neither was Stevie P as AD. There have been a lot of administrative F ups over the last 20 years.

You serious? Bo Pelini almost had a top 10 class and he dreaded recruiting. Frost and his staff enjoy it. Once we get some good wins and good seasons we will be more then fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT