ADVERTISEMENT

Ohtani 7yrs..700mil

Huge number

He won’t pitch next year and the stats on pitchers coming back after their second Tommy John are not kind.

He is one of the few players that will actually increase a team’s revenue. Attendance, merchandise etc. particularly in that market

Last edited:
Reactions: mgbreis
Ho lee shit.

The dodgers are so fukin stupid it’s hilarious

I love Ohtani but this deal will suck in about 5 years. They paid him as if he’s two separate superstars but he’s not.

7 years for $700 million would be $100 million per year for 7 years. If those numbers are correct and my math is as well. But what's a few million among friends.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
It's 10 years 700M. As good as he is they are overpaying. He can't pitch next year but maybe the Dodgers can make it work.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Ho lee shit.

I love Ohtani but this deal will suck in about 5 years. They paid him as if he’s two separate superstars but he’s not.
They don’t care. The economics make it a good deal regardless. They’ll just sign two more superstars and move on. I hate the MLB. The salary disparity is almost as bad as amateur football (NCAA).

It’s a great deal to get asses in the seats and buying merchandise. Will it get the Dodgers to the WS, don’t know because what will the dodger fans be willing to spend in tickets parking etc to keep from selling off other players.

Certainly lots of talk and splash for sure.

Reactions: Hford
They don’t care. The economics make it a good deal regardless. They’ll just sign two more superstars and move on. I hate the MLB. The salary disparity is almost as bad as amateur football (NCAA).
The Dodgers have become the Yankees of old, why develop players, just buy em, of course it worked out well for the Yankees in the late 90's and early 2000's, not so much for the Dodgers though.

I went to an Ohtani start in Anaheim before I moved back to Nebraska. I'd say 40% of the crowd was Asian which in Orange County is quite the outlier compared to demographics. The Doyers will make a ton in gear sales...... And still not win a World Series

Ho lee shit.

Yes and Ohtani started to fall off pitching wise this year even before his injury. This is stupid money to throw around for a player who's contract ends when he's 39. I wouldn't be surprised if he's completely done with pitching in 4-5 years ..

Apparently, a ton of the money is deferred
Good explanation of how significant the deferred money is - 700 million is 700 million but a dollar today is likely worth much much less than a dollar in 2035 or 2040. He is being paid a large sum after 2035 in todays dollars

The Dodgers have become the Yankees of old, why develop players, just buy em, of course it worked out well for the Yankees in the late 90's and early 2000's, not so much for the Dodgers though.

The Dodgers are actually pretty awesome at developing players too.

Reactions: king_kong_
It’s a great deal to get asses in the seats and buying merchandise. Will it get the Dodgers to the WS, don’t know because what will the dodger fans be willing to spend in tickets parking etc to keep from selling off other players.

Certainly lots of talk and splash for sure.
Do the Dodgers need that?

7 years for $700 million would be $100 million per year for 7 years. If those numbers are correct and my math is as well. But what's a few million among friends.

Wonder if the 7 years starts now or when he is able to pitch again. If it starts now they are paying him $100 million the first year to not play.

Wonder if the 7 years starts now or when he is able to pitch again. If it starts now they are paying him $100 million the first year to not play.
He’ll still hit and likely challenge the league lead in HR, RBI, OPS

It’s a typo by the OP. I think the other poster was sarcastically poking at the math skills.
Ten years, 700 mil.
But I am sure it doesn’t depend on his pitching since he crushes it also. BUT… knowing he couldn’t pitch at least one season at a minimum would make one think twice perhaps…. But not in this lala land.
This is why baseball is total shit and not a single person I know really watches it. No hard caps, no revenue sharing, no chance for 85% of the league to ever win. And these idiot contracts. Like the Angels contract with Pujols, the last few years of Cabreras deal, etc
This is why I don’t follow baseball and just watch a couple minutes of highlights at a time

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
It's funny how people think the Dodgers are dumb. Raise your hand if you really think the Dodgers will be losing money on this deal. Anyone?

I really, really wish the MLB had a cap and more parity like the NFL. HOWEVER - the fact that billionaires like John Sherman (Royals) plead poverty while fielding shitty teams makes me a lot angrier than the likes of LA, NY, etc signing guys to these huge deals. Not saying the Royals should sign an Ohtani, but they could do a heck of a lot more than they do without breaking a sweat.

Can someone explain why a player would defer that much money? Seems insane.
He will be making 40+ million in endorsements, etc during his playing days that will taper off after he is done playing
When done playing he will then have another 10 years of 68 million per year in deferred salary
More balanced income over a longer period

Endorsements, etc revenue while playing - 40 million x 10 years
Then 68 million x 10 years when not playing as endorsement money shrinks

Also may not be subject to California taxes if he moves out of state after his playing days when the bulk of his contract is paid (although I suspect California may come after some of that)

From a team perspective the dodgers don’t have as much annually toward the luxury tax thresholds

Reactions: Huskers123456
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT