ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

The officials called a great game with the exception of two calls on the field that went 100% Nebraska’s way (one of which that got correctly overturned).

1) the TD that was correctly overturned to an INT. That should have been called an INT on the field but eventually they got it right. The on-field refs tried to give Neb a TD.

2) the missed facemask on the ILL QB on a fourth down that gave the ball back to Neb rather than being a 1st down in scoring position for ILL. that was an egregious miss and an enormous momentum swing with Neb scoring a TD after getting the ball.

Stop complaining/whining.
Oh boy it’s not obvious who you root for.

Your forget to mention the missed late hit in overtime

The offensive PI in the endzone

And I do not agree with the over turned touchdown either… kid had possession, foot down in the end zone before the ball was coming out… now I wasn’t arguing that before but since you bring it up ill argue that… because as soon as the catch is made and foot is down in the end zone play is over

I'm tired of hearing about blaming officials. NU is not where anyone thought they are. Still not a good team. I see losses to Rutgers, Indiana, Iowa. They will all be more physical. Very disappointed in the dline. They are just not good

The officiating did change the outcome of the game ultimately. Huskers still should have won the game but the refs keeping IL close game them confidence and momentum. IL kicked our butt in the 2nd half. I was at the game and there were so many missed penalties against IL it was laughable. Having said all that our Specials Team Coach needs to be shown the door immediately. Look, we will still have a solid year and go to a bowl. Raiola is 19 years and will only get better. D was on their heels and totally outmatched much of the night. O-line is suspect.

Reactions: headcard
The officiating did change the outcome of the game ultimately. Huskers still should have won the game but the refs keeping IL close game them confidence and momentum. IL kicked our butt in the 2nd half. I was at the game and there were so many missed penalties against IL it was laughable. Having said all that our Specials Team Coach needs to be shown the door immediately. Look, we will still have a solid year and go to a bowl. Raiola is 19 years and will only get better. D was on their heels and totally outmatched much of the night. O-line is suspect.
Our special teams coach is certainly suspect.

And I do not agree with the over turned touchdown either… kid had possession, foot down in the end zone before the ball was coming out… now I wasn’t arguing that before but since you bring it up ill argue that… because as soon as the catch is made and foot is down in the end zone play is over
Oh Clem… you arguing any of those points screams of you simply wanting the officials to hand Nebraska the game.

How’d you feel about the no-call facemask on the ILL QB?

I’m not here to pour salt in your wounds…my post directly after the one above was complementing your team and QB.

I don't think the op is saying the refs lost us the game, it's painfully obvious we do not have a top 75 defense and our kickers are blind. Those lost us the game. Offense did enough to win for the most part. Make the kick, it's game over and we are saying defense bent and didn't break. We win 27-24. Anyone who watched the game and saw the bumbling idiots out there botching the calls, picking up flags, second guessing themselves, taking delay of game penalties away. None of it directly led to a loss, but it's still people being utterly horseshit at their job. They need to be called out for it.

That is not the rule. You have to complete the catch with control. The receiver clearly did not do that.

Also the refs seemed to invent a call that helped a Nebraska drive. How is a block in the back not a penalty just because the player made the tackle?! That’s like saying it is not a hold because the guy got a 2 yard sack. It should have been a 10 yard penalty with Illinois having the option to decline because their player made a tackle for a 2 yard loss. Never should have been the decision of the ref.

Both teams could complain about the refs. The hold on the screen pass to the Illini back seemed suspect at best. Seemed to all even out at the end. Ultimately Nebraska grabbed to many facemasks that could not be ignored.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Oh Clem… you arguing any of those points screams of you simply wanting the officials to hand Nebraska the game.

How’d you feel about the no-call facemask on the ILL QB?

I’m not here to pour salt in your wounds…my post directly after the one above was complementing your team and QB.
Oh in all honesty I didn’t like that missed call either, I love my huskers so I won’t act like I sat there and yelled at the tv telling them that was penalty, because I absolutely did not do that. But I’ll also point to the fact that you are here on a Nebraska board after your team won a close battle, that kind of does say you’re here to rub salt in the wounds.

Look Illinois played a good game, and Beilema or how ever you spell his name has always seemed to have Nebraskas number, he’s a good coach. Y’all won and congratulations, but there is no way you can cut it to convince me this was an evenly called game. Sure there were some calls that benefited Nebraska but way more that benefit the Illini. I don’t ever expect the refs to ever hand a game to anyone, which is why I’m upset with them here. I think the refs interjected too much and didn’t call things evenly. I think the no call late hit at the end handed the game to y’all, and no matter how you cut it again that’s a call that should have been made. Now on the other hand, we had crapped the bed before that late hit and we’re put in a position of where we needed that call, and it didn’t come… so at the end of the day I think we did more to lose the game ourselves than anything… but that does not take the sting of poor officiating out…

and as a football fan, poor officiating should set you off as well, you should want to win the games outright without the feeling of the zebras not calling it evenly. And anyone that is being honest will openly see the discrepancy in calls, if you watched the game you would have seen more missed calls go your way… you can look at the stat posted in my original post, 2 penalties for 20 yards to 8 for 89, you can’t tell me that’s evenly called.

That is not the rule. You have to complete the catch with control. The receiver clearly did not do that.

Also the refs seemed to invent a call that helped a Nebraska drive. How is a block in the back not a penalty just because the player made the tackle?! That’s like saying it is not a hold because the guy got a 2 yard sack. It should have been a 10 yard penalty with Illinois having the option to decline because their player made a tackle for a 2 yard loss. Never should have been the decision of the ref.

Both teams could complain about the refs. The hold on the screen pass to the Illini back seemed suspect at best. Seemed to all even out at the end. Ultimately Nebraska grabbed to many facemasks that could not be ignored.

Ok, anyone who clearly watched the game can not say this was an evenly officiated game.

Now for your correct call if you look below per the NCAA rule book possession stats having control of the ball while contacting the ground, the picture was unfortunately the best one I had, but at this point Isaiah had both hands in the ball, pressed against his face mask, the defenders arm was between the body and the ball, Isaiah’s foot was also in the ground, which consists of possession, while in the end zone that ends the play, touchdown, period. Had it not been in the end zone then yes he needs to control it through the ground, which he did not, regardless the defender made a heck of a play there and he got the call, but per the rule book the call was correct as called on the field.

PCNOV1726898963.png
TZ3LD1726898594.jpg

I thought the sCUm game was poorly officiated. But this one appeared to be called on target. Our guys got away with an obvious facemask, so it goes both ways. We lost because our defense couldn't handle their line. They were just tougher than our guys were. I'm still pissed for trying a FG instead of going for it. Three yards is doable. And especially when Rhule knows our kickers are shit.

These whine about the refs threads every week are embarrassing. Not surprisingly, some of the biggest homer bitches on this site are some of the worst offenders. There were a couple blown calls, both ways. That's called college officiating. Maybe watch some football outside of just Nebraska games. The refs didn't lose this game, we did.

Reactions: regoratsginrom
I am sick and tired of those who belittle those who criticize the officiating as “blaming the officials” for the loss. Illinois played well. But on the field those were two very evenly matched teams. We think we were butt kicked and dominated simply because we lost. But the fact is it was a very even game and had Dylan not missed on the TD pass on our late drive we win.
Therefore, in my opinion, very poor officiating did contribute heavily to our loss. There ABSOLUTELY should have been a personal foul called on Illinois in overtime. There was also PI against Nayor in the end zone not called. And Illinois was getting away with blatant holding. I saw at last six instances of blatant holding not called.
If the game had been officiated fairly we would have won.

I am sick and tired of those who belittle those who criticize the officiating as “blaming the officials” for the loss. Illinois played well. But on the field those were two very evenly matched teams. We think we were butt kicked and dominated simply because we lost. But the fact is it was a very even game and had Dylan not missed on the TD pass on our late drive we win.
Therefore, in my opinion, very poor officiating did contribute heavily to our loss. There ABSOLUTELY should have been a personal foul called on Illinois in overtime. There was also PI against Nayor in the end zone not called. And Illinois was getting away with blatant holding. I saw at last six instances of blatant holding not called.
If you’re going to call the game fairly you absolutely have to make that call on the late hit in OVT. would have been 15 yard penalty and ` automatic first down..

They decided there and then not to bail Nebraska out..

The block in the back on ill punt return

Make a 39 yd fg, come down with a catchable TD and not have it be ripped away or the late end zone wide open TD and the officiating doesn't matter. Did I think Nebraska got some tough penalties called against them? Yes. But you can only control what you can control, and missing chip shot field goals, catchable TDs and wide-open TD throw contributed more to the loss than anything else imo. Also, the defense could not get off the field on 3rd down all night. At some point, you have to finish the play, including the little details or you lose. It's been a trend for quite a while that if you hang around long enough, Nebraska will self-destruct. It happened again. Until that is fixed, I don't care to blame anyone other than ourselves for losing.

This is 100 percent spot on. You stated my same thoughts on this perfectly.

In the end the refs decided to insert themselves in this game. I’m not saying that the refs are solely to blame, we had our chances, but when push came to shove we were not getting the calls that Illinois was getting getting.

I rarely if ever have felt the need to comment on the way a game was officiated, but on this one, I felt like if we had even had a few calls go our way we would have won.

When I hear about blaming the refs I always think back to Jimmy Johnson at the Miami Hurricanes. Don't let the refs decide the games or put the game in the refs hands.
That’s not how we do it here. Every loser has a reason/excuse. The refs missed zero calls against Neb lol. That’s what this board thinks. Listening to the boys in the bars or breakfast the next day you’d think this was a big game in the playoffs and the refs were paid with Bidenomics. Things haven’t changed in 25 years and they aren’t any time soon. DR is a man child but there’s little talent around him. If Beck turned pro he would t be here. Who knows if he stays or rides the next 2 years with 3* talent. No heisman that’s for sure. He should have gone to OSU or GA. Unreal talent that won’t win crap here.

Look at the schedule, tell me how Nebraska gets to 7 or 8? We have our annual beatings from Wisconsin and Iowa. No chance against OSU and USC. Indiana will roll us.
Once in 30 years extremely talented QB and we lack the urgency to make the most of it.
They start by winning next week.

That’s not how we do it here. Every loser has a reason/excuse. The refs missed zero calls against Neb lol. That’s what this board thinks. Listening to the boys in the bars or breakfast the next day you’d think this was a big game in the playoffs and the refs were paid with Bidenomics. Things haven’t changed in 25 years and they aren’t any time soon. DR is a man child but there’s little talent around him. If Beck turned pro he would t be here. Who knows if he stays or rides the next 2 years with 3* talent. No heisman that’s for sure. He should have gone to OSU or GA. Unreal talent that won’t win crap here.
I don’t think anyone here has said they never missed any calls against Nebraska, there will always be some missed calls… but we’re talking about the vast discrepancy of missed calls, the discrepancy on the number of calls against each team.

Look we lost the game we had our opportunities to win and we missed them, flat out, but that still doesn’t mean the refs called a good game, that’s not excuses, that’s facts

Edit:
For all those that are saying the officiating had nothing to do with it, I’ll challenge any one of you to explain how any missed calls in Nebraskas favor affected the game vs how any missed calls in Illinois’ favor affected the game. I won’t hold my breath because I just don’t see any of you taking up on this offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Go back to your own board. What kind of loser spends time on another team's message board. You aren't the only one

I've seen games where the refs were straight up crooked. Not too often but it happens. The more common problem is (confirmation bias)
You're an official working the Marshall/O$U game. Before it begins your brain understands this is a mismatch. Ohio State simply has better athletes. Now maybe, just maybe, on one particular Saturday Marshall has sideline coaches performing better than Ohio State's coaches.
So now the game is even, and the refs can affect the outcome. In this fictional scenario they don't do it cognitively. When they see something that does/doesn't fit the narrative in their brain they make a call, or they fail to make a call.
Last night there were 2 teams evenly matched if you just look at the rankings (22/24). So the refs were in a position to affect the outcome.
Did they? Yes.
Could their bias have been overcome with some superhero moments by coaches/players? Yes
Here's the problem that is true every Saturday. No game is perfectly officiated. That's why coaches get in trouble when they speak out. Should Rhule speak up and get himself in trouble?
Late in the season, definitely!
Early in the season? I'm not sure.

That's just because you're watching it from a one-sided point of view. There was absolutely 100% without question holding by Illinois that wasn't called. I saw one for sure that I called out while watching, but I wasn't watching it looking for it through the homer glasses that a lot of guys on here do. I didn't think you were one of them. There is technically holding on just about every play, on both sides. You know that, right? The blatant missed face mask call was another. And I'm 100% sure there were more. I usually like your takes, so I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. I've seen what appeared to be one sided officiating before. This definitely wasn't one of them.

• Haha
That's just because you're watching it from a one-sided point of view. There was absolutely 100% without question holding by Illinois that wasn't called. I saw one for sure that I called out while watching, but I wasn't watching it looking for it through the homer glasses that a lot of guys on here do. I didn't think you were one of them. There is technically holding on just about every play, on both sides. You know that, right? The blatant missed face mask call was another. And I'm 100% sure there were more. I usually like your takes, so I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. I've seen what appeared to be one sided officiating before. This definitely wasn't one of them.
Don’t most fans watch from a one sided point of view? I think that’s normal, I also think most of of know and agree that there was missed calls on both sides, the argument is the affect said missed calls had on the game. There’s also an argument for the discrepancy in the amount of penalties. Of course holding happens on darn near every play those no calls are not where the issue lies. It’s ok to be upset with getting the short end, that doesn’t mean we place plane solely on the zebras, but there is an issue to be had with the way it was called… I can argue that those that aren’t upset about this are just taking the Nebraska “Nice” way too serious like yea go ahead sleep with my wife if I didn’t want that to happen I should have made more money… it’s complete bs this game was not called evenly point blank period!

Don’t most fans watch from a one sided point of view? I think that’s normal, I also think most of of know and agree that there was missed calls on both sides, the argument is the affect said missed calls had on the game. There’s also an argument for the discrepancy in the amount of penalties. Of course holding happens on darn near every play those no calls are not where the issue lies. It’s ok to be upset with getting the short end, that doesn’t mean we place plane solely on the zebras, but there is an issue to be had with the way it was called… I can argue that those that aren’t upset about this are just taking the Nebraska “Nice” way too serious like yea go ahead sleep with my wife if I didn’t want that to happen I should have made more money… it’s complete bs this game was not called evenly point blank period!

Loop Trump GIF

Thats fitting using the Trump meme for that too lol, no substance just wrong because it doesn’t match your agenda… tell me now how many times have you got on here talking about thank god the refs were calling one sided in our favor other wise we’d have lost the game? I’ll wait for your mature response 😂

Make a 39 yd fg, come down with a catchable TD and not have it be ripped away or the late end zone wide open TD and the officiating doesn't matter. Did I think Nebraska got some tough penalties called against them? Yes. But you can only control what you can control, and missing chip shot field goals, catchable TDs and wide-open TD throw contributed more to the loss than anything else imo. Also, the defense could not get off the field on 3rd down all night. At some point, you have to finish the play, including the little details or you lose. It's been a trend for quite a while that if you hang around long enough, Nebraska will self-destruct. It happened again. Until that is fixed, I don't care to blame anyone other than ourselves for losing.

Yes Nebraska could have and should have over come the officiating. But anyone sitting here saying Illinois didn’t gain a huge advantage because of the officiating last night is being completely dishonest.

Reactions: Clemke32
Still trying to figure out how they converted that 4th and 1 even though he didn’t make it back to the line of scrimmage.

He wasn’t even close

Plus there was a huge facemask at the point of attack.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT