ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Thread: What brings you joy?

EggR

May 24, 2024
What do you enjoy? What brings you happiness? Are you capable of finding happiness?

Do you find joy in watching sport, helping others, time with family, traveling, events, or what do you find joy in?

For me, I find the most joy in solitude, throw in the green, give me some video games, send in the occasional "bite to eat", and I'm golden.

In no particular order-

Fishing. Cooking/smoking (I have 3 racks of ribs on my new Masterbuilt XT gravity charcoal as I type). Dominating my kids at monopoly and risk. Hanging with my wife. Traveling. Closing sales/hitting quota. Coaching my kids. Being with friends. And the list goes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baxter48 and EggR
Travelling the world with my family. Also international travel for work is a cool perk. To chill at home? It’s a good scotch/bourbon and PS5.

Reactions: EggR
In no particular order-

Fishing. Cooking/smoking (I have 3 racks of ribs on my new Masterbuilt XT gravity charcoal as I type). Dominating my kids at monopoly and risk. Handing with my wife. Traveling. Closing sales/hitting quota. Coaching my kids. Being with friends. And the list goes on.
How do you like the Masterbuilt XT gravity?

Hot sauce - I am a huge fan of a wide array of levels. I love me some last stand from last ones.

Watching the rain... My sister and I discovered rain when we were little, by sitting outside on our strollers. We were watching too big at the time. We had a blast

On the weekends:
Formula 1 on Sundays
Football Night in America on NBC on Sunday Night.
Husker Football on Saturday

Reactions: EggR
How do you like the Masterbuilt XT gravity?
Got it a week ago. So far, I love it. I had a cheap vertical offset and I kept my Webber kettle. So I’m used to working my butt off on long cooks and I was tired of it. And it kept me from doing briskets and butts because I’d be up every hour or two checking the fire and reloading.

The new XT model has fixed a lot of the issues the older master build gravity series had. Better construction, better switches, firebox issues corrected, better control board, etc.

It’s been great ‘setting and forgetting.’ I’m able to leave and check from my phone. It’s been a joy from that side. And she’s a beast. Can get up to 700F.

Complaints- the probe calibration isn’t great. I use my own internal probes to verify the temps and it’s off by 30-50F. Not the end of the world. Just run it at 300F if I’m looking for 250F. But annoying. And there is a notice to open the vents every time you change the temperature. It’s a really small complaint, but it’s annoying.

Otherwise, I highly recommend. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: DonlugoQ
*no real order
Listening to my grandkids laughing and their success.

Seeing good baseball

Spending time with my wife

Watching the Huskers win.

Seeing people I’ve coached/taught have success and allow me to know about it

Spending time with friends

Reactions: TFrazier and EggR
*no real order
Listening to my grandkids laughing and their success.

Seeing good baseball

Spending time with my wife

Watching the Huskers win.

Seeing people I’ve coached/taught have success and allow me to know about it

Spending time with friends
Coaching is one of the great pleasures in life. Having a positive role in kids lives is so rewarding. I wish more parents would realize this, as we are always looking for more parents to help coach.

Coaching is one of the great pleasures in life. Having a positive role in kids lives is so rewarding. I wish more parents would realize this, as we are always looking for more parents to help coach.

I agree that coaching can be rewarding. I helped coach my son's baseball team, and my daughter's softball and basketball teams.

I struggle to just watch, so I don't know if it was more enjoyable as much as it was just me being competitive. But overall, I'm glad that I coached my kids.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Looking at, tinkering with, and riding my 1993 Harley I bought new. Looking at, tinkering with, and driving my 1970 Oldsmobile. Going to the NU games with family and friends win or lose. Going on road trips with the wife with a general destination in mind, but no specific itinerary and no deadlines.

best-life-conan.png

What do you enjoy? What brings you happiness? Are you capable of finding happiness?

Do you find joy in watching sport, helping others, time with family, traveling, events, or what do you find joy in?

For me, I find the most joy in solitude, throw in the green, give me some video games, send in the occasional "bite to eat", and I'm golden.
I assume sex with a hot chick, so no, I've never known happiness.

Huskers success but that is hard to come by. Finding great deals on vintage stereo equipment I can restore. Stumbling across records and CDs at garage sales for next to nothing.

coaching absolutely is. I have only ever coached or health coach my grandson and assisted with my granddaughters. Never got to my kids grandkids SNL assistant coach is awesome and special. Yeah I do know a great set of parents and make it so much easier coaching for the right reasons getting the kids better joy and Support having a good time. Those are awesome parents that do that.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I love poetry, and a glass of scotch.

And of course my friend Baxter.
Not one to say, like word play that much,
A reading of poetry, for our man the Crutch.
He can be a delight, or a pain in the ass,
Or as they say, from the kids in his class.
Quick to praise, but moreso condemn,
He loves the Skers, the Hawkeyes, hates them.
Lays down his cash, four legs at at time,
Feel sorry for him, cause he ain't made a dime.

Last edited:
Hot sauce - I am a huge fan of a wide array of levels. I love me some last stand from last ones
This is an area I’ve gotten into in the last year. I haven’t built up the tolerance for the last dab line yet. I’ve really enjoyed some fruit based sauces from the angry goat (purple hippo is a stand out). California hot sauces solutions is another favorite. Anything you recommend I should look into that’s not a super hot?

This is an area I’ve gotten into in the last year. I haven’t built up the tolerance for the last dab line yet. I’ve really enjoyed some fruit based sauces from the angry goat (purple hippo is a stand out). California hot sauces solutions is another favorite. Anything you recommend I should look into that’s not a super hot?
Hey buddy, hot sauces are a bit of marathon. You need to start low and get used to it. Get into mid sauces and let it tickle your tongue. I'm currently trying to handle Thor's Hammer...
https://heatonist.com/products/volcanic-peppers-thors-hammer

At this point you need your own thread to tell us what happened to you. Get back up on that horse that bucked you off pal.
Nothing happend, that is why I am happy and not dreading a miserable sunday of "chores" and running around to 9 different "select" games.

Nothing happend, that is why I am happy and not dreading a miserable sunday of "chores" and running around to 9 different "select" games.
To each their own. But youth sports are a blast (agreed that select sports are crazy and often missing the point). Watching kids compete, improve, learn life lessons, build friendships is really fun.

And boy do I feel bad for anyone who doesn’t like being with their spouse. The whole reason we got married is because we like being with each other.

To each their own. But youth sports are a blast (agreed that select sports are crazy and often missing the point). Watching kids compete, improve, learn life lessons, build friendships is really fun.

And boy do I feel bad for anyone who doesn’t like being with their spouse. The whole reason we got married is because we like being with each other.
I feel bad for the married people that don't want to be with their spouse too, sadly, that is about 50%.

Select sports are insane, park district/YMCA that kind of stuff, they have it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT