ADVERTISEMENT

OC Satterfield

The O repeatedly f’d up last night, and the D shut IL down. When the O stumbled at MN, the D didn’t get the stops like last night. Is that really Sims fault? At MN they scored a TD that they didn’t get the call on. Last night, they got every call. Sims fault?

I swear, some of you guys are completely nuts.
Yep. Thank you.

Minnesota managed all of 13 points despite Sims gifting them the ball over and over. The defense absolutely showed up that night.
And we got beat. By a bad team.

Take last night's shit poor offense, insert a career turnover machine, and we come out of there with an "L" last night.

See: Minnesota

See: Colorado

Last edited:
yes.

that reeks of leadership vs lack of leadership.

when your QB goes into the tank after mistakes, he drags the rest of the team down with him.

when your QB is an unflappable leader willing to put his body on the line, he subsequently adds juice to the rest of the squad

your willful ignorance when it comes to intangibles tells everyone here you've never been a part of a team that's competing at the highest level
Funny, because the coaches talked about how tough Sims was after the MN game. Also, his attitude, while not starting, is pretty damn impressive. Your obsession with propping up HH is thoroughly bizarre.

My biggest complaint from last night was the 1:30 before halftime should have just run the ball , three straight incompletions after picking up a first down, thank goodness for the wind or else it would have been 17-10 at halftime

The wind was at his back on that kick. Definitely had nothing to do with the wind.

Funny, because the coaches talked about how tough Sims was after the MN game. Also, his attitude, while not starting, is pretty damn impressive. Your obsession with propping up HH is thoroughly bizarre.
the players did not.

it's all they ever talk about since Haarberg took the reins.

very telling.

Sims seems very relieved to be out of the spotlight

Yep. Thank you.

Minnesota managed all of 13 points despite Sims gifting them the ball over and over. The defense absolutely showed up that night. Hugely. And we got beat.

Take last night's shit poor offense, insert a career turnover machine, and we come out of there with an "L" last night.

See: Minnesota

See: Colorado
The defense repeatedly put our O in great position last night, and the O repeatedly farted their opportunities away. It is remarkable the blinders some of you have. I don’t give 2 shits who the qb is, but acting like one guy is so much better than the others is entertaining to watch.

I can't really put my finger on it, but Satterfield doesn't make calls that make me angry or gameplan aimlessly with no rhyme or reason the way Langsdorf, Frost and Whipple did. There have been a few, like throwing instead of running before half last night, but that was probably Rhule's idea. I can see where Sat wants to go and sort of see how he wants to go about it. He mixes in some misdirection, sweeps, draws and screens. The problem is his players have trouble blocking, throwing, catching, and hitting the holes when they are there. I can't really blame him for that.

One of the big problems is the defenses stacking the box to stop the run. We all complain about the OL, and there’s plenty to complain about, but it’s awful tough to run with 5 guys trying to block 6, 7, or 8 guys. We’re not good enough in our passing game (yet) to back them off and open up some running lanes.

Rewatched the game on BTN this morning and there were several running plays where our OL blocked the box even though outnumbered. I think the biggest problem with our OL is the passing game. We haven’t given up very many sacks but the QB & WR are not helping us out.

I've seen him play at Ga Tech. I've seen his film.

He is an incredible athlete and was the best player on that team.

Not sure what happened, but he suddenly couldn't field a shotgun snap. Once that happens, and his eyes have to go elsewhere, it becomes pure panic.

He is undoubtedly more talented than Hunter. He can actually throw a football forward and find it's target more than half the time and not as likely to be intercepted.
Haha. Can't believe I keep getting trolled. What "film" have you seen? I watched multiple YouTube highlight videos of Sims. They aren't close to as good as Amart's highlights.

Reactions: moralvictories
You guys that are calling for Sims are nuts. The big intangible that Haarberg has going for him is his leadership. When he is out there, the team fights and stays together. When Sims had his chance, things really fell apart in every position group.

Now things did get pretty ugly during the second half of the game, but I didn't see the team break down or fall apart.. they hung in there, and I think a lot of that has to do with the leadership style of HH. He's like the glue holding a lot of this together.. something the other guy doesn't have.

It's amazing how many people have already forgot how horrible Sims was as a passer in the first few games. Put him back in for designed runs to give HH a break, but I don't want to see him back as our starter.

Reactions: V-Doub
At this point, I’m not impressed with his play calling, overall. He actually had some pretty good calls I thought last night (the long pass on 2nd down from our 1 or 2 yard line—love that call) and then some calls that were real head scratchers. Granted, he has limited resources everywhere on the O, but for what these dudes are making, we haven’t gotten our money’s worth yet.
And I would bet the farm if the 2nd down bomb was intercepted or incomplete, this board would have erupted with "fire Sats before the plane lands" chorus.

Does anyone tire of complaining about play calling? Perhaps we need to use AI and just let it take over then maybe there would be less complaining.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC
Satterfield is coaching a beat up work in progress offense in Year 1 of a rebuild. The healthiest RB was 4th string to begin the season and one of the top four receivers is currently available. His tools for every offensive series are duct tape and bailing wire. Let’s cut him some slack.

And I would bet the farm if the 2nd down bomb was intercepted or incomplete, this board would have erupted with "fire Sats before the plane lands" chorus.

Does anyone tire of complaining about play calling? Perhaps we need to use AI and just let it take over then maybe there would be less complaining.
I’ve seen that play typically on 2nd down from near their own goal line several times in college and in the NFL. It seems to catch the defense off guard. We had a bit of a break there because the DB, if I recall didn’t know where the ball was and our receiver came back to ball making the catch falling down. Even if it’s incomplete, I still think it’s a smart call, albeit a bit risky.

Satterfield is coaching a beat up work in progress offense in Year 1 of a rebuild. The healthiest RB was 4th string to begin the season and one of the top four receivers is currently available. His tools for every offensive series are duct tape and bailing wire. Let’s cut him some slack.
Satterfield is in the position of making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. I like that he is trying new things and adjusting to the challenge. It's a banged up unit and they weren't very talented to begin with.

Jeff Sims reportedly has this high ceiling.

Except that all he does is lose to good teams, lose to shitty teams, and turn the ball over like he's handing out flyers on the Vegas strip.

My opinion is that neither Haarberg nor Sims is a P5 QB1. If I was going to build a basketball team out of this roster, though, they'd probably be my first two picks.

At some point, HH is likely going to be unable to go this season. And we will need Sims. In which case I hope he comes in and lights it up.
Your opinion concerning the power 5 qb thing is right. I am confused why others can't see it. O line or not. That was the worst, pieice of shit football game I have seen in ten years. Both teams. Sloppy high=school shit.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
And the right one.

Sims is our more talented QB...., if he can field a freaking shotgun snap.

Haarberg has been the right recipe for now which means we run run run and play defense. But make no mistake, Haarberg is a .500 passer in which half his incompletions could easily be INTs.

Hunter is 26 or 49 the last two games with 2 INTs and a plethora of others that easily could have been picked. We are no threat to the throw the football against anybody.

We are going to face a bunch of D's that will be all in on stuffing our run game. Then what?
That is one giant “IF” when it comes to Sims.

That is one giant “IF” when it comes to Sims.

Yes it is.

But we are gonna need the ability to throw the football to beat a bunch of mediocre teams that will stack the box to beat us, and play good to great defense. We simply aren't good enough on our OL to play inside the hashmarks and beat our opponents going forward.

The 'Iowa' recipe is working now. We should strive to be better.

I’ve seen that play typically on 2nd down from near their own goal line several times in college and in the NFL. It seems to catch the defense off guard. We had a bit of a break there because the DB, if I recall didn’t know where the ball was and our receiver came back to ball making the catch falling down. Even if it’s incomplete, I still think it’s a smart call, albeit a bit risky.
I think it was thrown like that on purpose. That's kind of the point, the receiver knows it is being underthrown so he knows to adjust. Could be wrong though.

I liked the throw to Washington. Calculated risk that let's Illinois know a deep throw is possible at any time.

And I like that the passing game is starting to open up, although still a major work in progress.

My main gripe is the playcalling at the end of the half but that has been discussed in another thread.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I liked the throw to Washington. Calculated risk that let's Illinois know a deep throw is possible at any time.

And I like that the passing game is starting to open up, although still a major work in progress.

My main gripe is the playcalling at the end of the half but that has been discussed in another thread.

We are obviously far from a complete team.

Satterfield has to push the edges sometimes, and not be completely predictable. We'll also need a 2 minute offense at some point in time this season.

Rock. Hard place.

I think he is doing an amazing job while almost completely handcuffed. Most of us get 200 or so days a year to show our stuff at work, and nobody could give a shit. He gets 12 tries and is bastardized by every clown that could barely hold a job at Mickey Ds and plays video games thinking they are a coach.

Yes it is.

But we are gonna need the ability to throw the football to beat a bunch of mediocre teams that will stack the box to beat us, and play good to great defense. We simply aren't good enough on our OL to play inside the hashmarks and beat our opponents going forward.

The 'Iowa' recipe is working now. We should strive t
So I did some stats. Hope someone checks my numbers to see if I am correct.

Sims Passing 20/34 4 INT 220 yards 1 TD 5 sacks 11 yard average 59%
HH Passing 50/96 2 INT 631 yards 3 TD 9 sacks 12.62 yard average 52 %

Sims Rushing 30 158 Yards Net 1 TD 2 Fumbles 5.27 average
HH Rushing 69 352 Yards Net 3 TD 1 Fumbles 5.11 average

I only used fumbles lost. HH has fumbled 5 times without turning the ball over.

Sims has either passed or rushed on 64 plays. Scoring 2 TDs. He scored a TD every 32 plays. He turned the ball over 6 times or every 10.67 plays.

HH has passes or rushed 165 times. Scoring 6 TDs. He scored a TD every 27.5 plays. He has turned over the ball 3 times or every 55 plays.

I don't see the upside of Sims.

I think it was thrown like that on purpose. That's kind of the point, the receiver knows it is being underthrown so he knows to adjust. Could be wrong though.
Yeah I don’t know…maybe. I still like that call…Satterfield scored some points with me on that one.

Guy is taking a lot of heat this year from Husker fans.

Yes, I get it.

We are far from a well oiled machine, and we have looked completely inept in a large amount of drives this year. It isn't much fun to watch a good amount of time.

I like what he is doing though. It isn't easy calling plays and creating an offense for a team that can't throw the football with any amount of effectiveness, and struggles mightily to run the ball between the tackles.

We held the ball for 37 plus minutes last night, and ran the ball 49 times while holding Illinois to 21 yards rushing. We also had 10 penalties and 3 turnovers, yet we won by 13 points on the road.

Run the ball. Stuff the run. That is a good recipe for the rest of our schedule as this team gets better each week.

My knock on him is that these guys are experienced coaches getting paid tons of money. I can’t believe they didn’t see early on the lack of offensive talent. That is what the portal is for and we did not use it to upgrade known weak offensive positions.

My knock on him is that these guys are experienced coaches getting paid tons of money. I can’t believe they didn’t see early on the lack of offensive talent. That is what the portal is for and we did not use it to upgrade known weak offensive positions.
They tried. Our record over the past decade didn’t help. Nobody could have foreseen the RB and WR injuries. We were a finalist for a starting left tackle but he chose OU.

During spring ball with both Sims and CT on the roster, IGC, Rahmir and Gabe still healthy, and Betts still playing, I’d say the coaches thought the skill talent was pretty decent.

My biggest complaint from last night was the 1:30 before halftime should have just run the ball , three straight incompletions after picking up a first down, thank goodness for the wind or else it would have been 17-10 at halftime
According to the guys at HuskerOnline, HCMR claimed that Sat had called for a QB draw on that 3rd down play but HH threw it over Kemp's head & almost into the DBs hands. Re-watching that play a couple times shows that had HH actually ran the QB draw, he gets the 1st down easily & likely quite a bit more. The HOL guys said he could have scored had he run the play that was called. I won't go quite that far but IMO he does put us in FG range & we end up attempting a FG to end the half instead of IL.

Edit: If you watch the OL on that play, they are blocking as if it is a QB draw. Because HH threw it instead, there should have been ineligible downfield as a couple OL were past the line of scrimmage when he threw it.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see what Satt comes up with over the extended bye week

not too often you have 15 days between games to work on stuff

According to the guys at HuskerOnline, HCMR claimed that Sat had called for a QB draw on that 3rd down play but HH threw it over Kemp's head & almost into the DBs hands. Re-watching that play a couple times shows that had HH actually ran the QB draw, he gets the 1st down easily & likely quite a bit more. The HOL guys said he could have scored had he run the play that was called. I won't go quite that far but IMO he does put us in FG range & we end up attempting a FG to end the half instead of IL.

Edit: If you watch the OL on that play, they are blocking as if it is a QB draw. Because HH threw it instead, there should have been ineligible downfield as a couple OL were past the line of scrimmage when he threw it.
That right there would have had me tell him he gets to watch Sims or Purdy for a series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT