ADVERTISEMENT

NU has to go to Ohio State and then 2 days later play Rutgers on the road.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Who the hell designs these schedules? Wow. Rutgers is gonna be tough. They just put it on Iowa and are much improved.

I agree Rutgers is pretty good, but everybody's putting it to Iowa. Fran must a powder keg at this point.

I agree Rutgers is pretty good, but everybody's putting it to Iowa. Fran must a powder keg at this point.
Fran is the basketball version of Bo Pelini. I saw it firsthand last year from right behind the Iowa bench when he went after the scorekeeper after he marked a foul down for the wrong player. Dude is a psycho.
fran-mccaffery-loses-it.gif

Reactions: Red I 73 and newAD
The Pac-12 does this all season. They divide teams into pairs and you have to play two road games in 3 days every time. So for example, you play at Arizona on Thursday and then at Arizona St on Saturday. Same goes for USC-UCLA, Oregon-Oregon St, Cal-Stanford, etc.

The Pac-12 does this all season. They divide teams into pairs and you have to play two road games in 3 days every time. So for example, you play at Arizona on Thursday and then at Arizona St on Saturday. Same goes for USC-UCLA, Oregon-Oregon St, Cal-Stanford, etc.
I can see the travel advantage and maybe that's better than multiple trips east but man that's a lot of games in a short period of time. One of the B1G talking heads was using the number of games they've played in the past 8 days as an excuse for Michigan's poor effort.....and it isn't unreasonable. It appears to me that the B1G's scheduling may have hurt the conference's chances at getting more teams in the tournament.

Every year there are claims about only 3-4 major conference teams Getting in the dance, then things start to shake out as the season approaches March. I expect the B1G to receive 6 invites. As of today, I believe Nebraska is one of those 6.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Every year there are claims about only 3-4 major conference teams Getting in the dance, then things start to shake out as the season approaches March. I expect the B1G to receive 6 invites. As of today, I believe Nebraska is one of those 6.
The little whiny twerp Joe Quinn on 590 in the afternoon has been beating the drum about how bad the B1G is this year and I'm sorry but I don't see it. Good heavens if it wasn't for Nick on there I wouldn't listen EVER. Quinn must be the nephew of the owner to keep his job. Terrible. Iowa and Wisconsin have struggled mightily but yet Iowa beat one of the Pac10 leaders earlier in the year. Basketball isn't like football. Rutgers has played WAY better this year including the non-con. PSU is WAY better. Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Ohio State and yes Nebraska all have very good talent and are mostly playing well. Minnesota if they can get some guys back can win some games. Maryland is pretty darned good. I'm not buying the B!G is no good narrative. We heard the same crap about the football teams until the bowl games played out.

A split would be a success. Two wins would be monsterous
Would 0-2 be disastrous? I don't think so. Of course, I think the goal is to come out 1-1 in these games, but losing two on the road is probably a strong possibility. This team has talent, but isn't nearly close enough to be able to waltz into any road game and expect a win.

Nebraska will be 7-8 point dogs at Ohio State (I think) and may be about pick 'em @ Rutgers. My guesses only.

Having to move the Big Ten Tournament up a week (scheduling conflict at Madison Square Garden) has caused this scheduling nightmare. We (OSU) currently are playing 5 games in a 12 day period. Every Big Ten team is doing this. It will be interesting to see if the week and a half off between the Big Ten Tournament and the start of the NCAA tournament will help or hurt Big Ten teams.

Reactions: Cornicator
Would 0-2 be disastrous? I don't think so. Of course, I think the goal is to come out 1-1 in these games, but losing two on the road is probably a strong possibility. This team has talent, but isn't nearly close enough to be able to waltz into any road game and expect a win.

Nebraska will be 7-8 point dogs at Ohio State (I think) and may be about pick 'em @ Rutgers. My guesses only.
No it would not be a disaster. HOWEVER, it also depends on how you lose.

Nebraska's next 5 games will tell a lot about this team. While it's not a gauntlet, the games are also no walks in the park. If the team finishes less than 2-3, they're going to need a deep run in the B1G tournament in NYC. (speaking of, is anyone going or know of any tickets? I live about 10 blocks from MSG).

So here's the next 5:

@ Ohio State (likely underdog)
@ Rutgers (should be close - maybe slight favorite, maybe pick 'em)
Iowa in Lincoln (should be favored by 5-7)
@ Wisconsin (tough game to pick, I think Wisconsin will be favored by 3-5)
@ Minnesota (another tough one, depending on their roster, I think Minnesota is favored slightly here too.)

If you trust the oddsmakers (and granted, my spreads are complete guesses), Nebraska should come out of this next five 1-4, maybe 2-3. A 1-4 run after a dominating win vs. Michigan can be pretty sobering. It would move the Huskers to 6-7 (below .500) in conference and 15-11 overall. Not impressive numbers. If they can find a way to go 3-2 during this stretch, I think they are really set up for a special run this year.

But these next five are crucial games in my opinion.

Nebraska's next 5 games will tell a lot about this team. While it's not a gauntlet, the games are also no walks in the park. If the team finishes less than 2-3, they're going to need a deep run in the B1G tournament in NYC. (speaking of, is anyone going or know of any tickets? I live about 10 blocks from MSG).

So here's the next 5:

@ Ohio State (likely underdog)
@ Rutgers (should be close - maybe slight favorite, maybe pick 'em)
Iowa in Lincoln (should be favored by 5-7)
@ Wisconsin (tough game to pick, I think Wisconsin will be favored by 3-5)
@ Minnesota (another tough one, depending on their roster, I think Minnesota is favored slightly here too.)

If you trust the oddsmakers (and granted, my spreads are complete guesses), Nebraska should come out of this next five 1-4, maybe 2-3. A 1-4 run after a dominating win vs. Michigan can be pretty sobering. It would move the Huskers to 6-7 (below .500) in conference and 15-11 overall. Not impressive numbers. If they can find a way to go 3-2 during this stretch, I think they are really set up for a special run this year.

But these next five are crucial games in my opinion.
Yeah, if you only get one win out of that stretch you are basically just doing what everyone in the Big Ten is doing, which is beating Iowa at home. Need to scratch out at least one road win from that group of games. Get two road wins, and you're actually gaining some ground on the rest of the field.

IF they make the dance, huskers will have to play on the road and then hopefully 2 days later, have to play away from home again. So I don't think this hurts. NU has to be strong and win 1 of the next 2 on the road (at least) .

I get they play a lot of basketball between 1/22 - 1/29 and 3 are on the road. But likewise, if teams want to advance in the tourney, they play alot of basketball in a short time frame away from home. Teams that advance to the final 4 will have played 4 games in 10 days. Just got to stay tough.

So I actually like this scheduling. It gets teams tourney ready.

And don't fool yourself, this program deserves no breaks nor respect. They haven't earned sh*t yet. Got to earn your keep. I think they will gain some by year end but they have to just say focused and ball

The Big Ten tourney this year is a week earlier in New York so in order to get to play at MSG the schedule is compacted. I honestly think 1-1 would be a good result but 0-2 is realistic too. I see no way we stay within 10 of OSU

The Big Ten tourney this year is a week earlier in New York so in order to get to play at MSG the schedule is compacted. I honestly think 1-1 would be a good result but 0-2 is realistic too. I see no way we stay within 10 of OSU

really, no way? what do you think the spread will be? it will probably be around 10.

Probably I just dont like the way this team plays on the road
home cooking officiating has been a big part of the problem for us. The B1G refs aren't going to do us any favors there I would bet. OSU pulls some weight and the refs know it.

Who the hell designs these schedules? Wow. Rutgers is gonna be tough. They just put it on Iowa and are much improved.
Minnesota is in the middle of 4 games in 8 days, with the last 3 on the road all on the east coast. Penn St on Monday, Maryland on Thursday and at Madison Square Garden against OSU today at noon. They haven't been home or in class since all week. The game in NYC was supposed to be home game. This years scheduling sucks.

We are going to need to finish good to get in. I don't see the B1G getting 6 teams in. With all the automatic qualifiers you need to be inside the top 50 on the RPI and sometimes even better than that. Right now Maryland as our number 5 highest is 47th. That is borderline on the bubble. We are 63rd. I think we need to go at least 6-4 to finish with two wins in the B1G tourney.

Reactions: chicolby
Minnesota is in the middle of 4 games in 8 days, with the last 3 on the road all on the east coast. Penn St on Monday, Maryland on Thursday and at Madison Square Garden against OSU today at noon. They haven't been home or in class since all week. The game in NYC was supposed to be home game. This years scheduling sucks.

that's laughably awful.

Big Ten scheduling is dumb and it's made worse by Jim Delany being so hell-bent on playing the conference tournament in New York that it was pushed up a week. But I really don't see how it's worse for Nebraska than it is for every other team.

Darn it, I was looking forward to watching the Ohio State game Monday night. But maybe I'll skip it now that I know our team is completely exhausted and the refs are out to screw us.

Last edited:
I’ll be at MSG for the B1G tournament. I hope it moves around with some regularity and while I don’t mind Indianapolis, and they do a nice job creating a fun atmosphere for fans, I wish Chicago was in the rotation with more regularity.

Reactions: scarletred
playing games on saturday and sunday during the regular season should be a priority. You would think with them playing 2 conference games in early dec it would have given them more flexibility. I read where the season will start even earlier next year too

These are young kids not NBA players with tons of miles on their legs. They will be fresh with a 2 day break.

From what I've seen, we should be able to hang with anyone if the effort is stellar.

I'm not trying to take on a loser's mentality here, so don't jump all over me.

However, if the Ohio State game starts to get away from the Huskers early, I would include a pretty liberal rotation of my back ups. You can afford to lose that Ohio State game. you can't afford to lose on the road to Rutgers because your team has no legs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT