ADVERTISEMENT

NOW we are talking...YORK DUKES featured!!!

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
....btw...trivia...what former Husker coached the Dukes in the late 60s, early 70s???

What sport. I was there from 73-75. Wrestling would have been Lonny Graves then Mr King.

Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and you were a DUKE????NO HIGHER HONOR!!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Re: Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yip, Lived over on Blackburn Street. South of the park about 2-3 blocks. Had a blast in that town.

Re: Football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this answers your question Spartan but Tom McClelland was the coach in 1974

My mother her family are from York. Glad to hear they having some success!

Spartanhusker,

I am not a native of York, but rather of Geneva. Years ago (summers of 1975-1976) I played semipro-town team baseball with the fellows in York. Kenny Winkleman, Bill McKenzie, John Svehla, Bruce Reed (a summer import one year), Bob Romohr, Pat Hollatz, and several other fellows and good players, whose names I will have to think on for a while. Great guys, great ball park, and a great town. One year we had a really good team, and finished second in the league to Osceola. The next year we struggled all year long, but then got hot at the end of the year and managed to beat Columbus in their park for the championship. Man, what great memories about a great group of guys.

One of the most memorable plays was Ken Winkleman as catcher blocking home plate against Dan Pensick of Columbus. Wow, that was real baseball.

This post was edited on 3/4 3:03 PM by NUinnwks

This post was edited on 3/4 3:06 PM by NUinnwks

Met the head coach at the Calhoun qb camp a couple years ago, great guy, knows his stuff and had a passion to be great.

Originally posted by scorcher2:
I grew up by the park also sparky.
Just out of curiosity, how old are you scorcher? I think we lived at 312 Blackburn. 2 story yellow house. It wasn't in great shape back then & I went by there a few years ago & it hadn't changed.

Coach snodgrass is an awesome guy. He got immediate results. The kids buy in and he gets more out of them then i think they thought they could give. I'm proud that my son plays for him.

There were a lot of lean years here in york it is fun to see them have some success.

I partied with some York College girls back in the day in my time in Lincoln. They were looking to get away and I was happy to help them. One of them still owes me a Herbie Husker shotglass she stole!

Wasn't there a Haeger kid from York that was a pretty good 132/138/145 lb back in mid 70's? Seems like I Remember him going against a kid that was always class or two below me.

This post was edited on 3/4 9:43 PM by NETransplant

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much to respond to...

First the coach was Chuck Doepke, former wide receiver for the Big Red.

Second...SPARKY!!!! How have I never known this????

Third, Kenny Winkleman and I played baseball together (he was much better) and in fact, I succeeded him as the Midget catcher when he moved up to Legion catcher when he was 15!!! He was a ball playin' dude!

Fourth, I WENT to YC, and my time there was not as spiritually productive as it could have been...that's on me..But I KNEW those kind of girls who 'liked to go to Lincoln'....:)

God bless you all!

I lived in York for 9 years... 2000-2009. Tonight, as I type, I am staying at 424 Blackburn avenue with some very close friends. Did you know the Wagner family? Have a store downtown; they've been in York a very long time. Small world I guess...

Originally posted by NETransplant:
Wasn't there a Haeger kid from York that was a pretty good 132/138/145 lb back in mid 70's? Seems like I Remember him going against a kid that was always class or two below me.

This post was edited on 3/4 9:43 PM by NETransplant
Correct. He was 1 year ahead of me & he graduated in 1977. He was the reason I wrestled at 126. He used to destroy me.

Ha, I'm younger 28 years old. My parents still live off of Blackburn. Good ol Bill Mckenzie. Sparky that house I think got a remodel in the last year or two. If its the one I'm thinking of they put a new basement into it. I'll drive by tonight and let you know.

Does anyone know...

...If Bill posts on here???I have a great story IF he doesn't!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Re: Does anyone know...

Doubt Bill does, funny dude for sure hahah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT