ADVERTISEMENT

Not even one thread backing Riley?

It's our "talent", tired of hearing that BS. We have top 25 talent on this team but still suck, the only team we've played with the "cupboards" less bare than us was Wisconsin. So people can stick that excuse

Agreed. We really haven't played anyone with incredible talent. With our weak schedule, 3-5 is terrible.

It's our "talent", tired of hearing that BS. We have top 25 talent on this team but still suck, the only team we've played with the "cupboards" less bare than us was Wisconsin. So people can stick that excuse
I wouldn't say we suck. If we sucked we'd be getting beat down by 30 every game.

There is plenty of support for Riley. I think they are smart. Stay away from the board for a couple days and let everyone calm down a bit.

I still support Riley. I'm of the opinion you have to give a guy at least a Year 1 to Year 2 transition to figure out how the dance is going to go. Especially since the true indicator of how this might work won't be on campus till January.

I don't think riley is the issue. I think we don't have the personel to run his system.
I can see what he's trying to do, but unless the ball in thrown to the X, and unless the ball is caught at the X…it's going to be a problem. I think the qb spot is what is going to make or break riley at NU.
if riley can find a farragomo, or even a ganz.In the next couple years.I think his system will produce the 9 or more standard wins per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: maplesyrup95
Do I love what I'm seeing on the field? No.

Would firing Riley after 1 year be the worst move we could possibly make? Yes

If this is the football I'm watching in year 3, I will be jumping off the bandwagon. I'm not sure if that counts as backing Riley or not, but the guy deserves the same amount of opportunity and leniency as any other new coach gets.

If this is the football I'm watching in year 3, I will be jumping off the bandwagon. I'm not sure if that counts as backing Riley or not, but the guy deserves the same amount of opportunity and leniency as any other new coach gets.

I support Riley all the way.

Martinez (despite how inconsistent he was), Burkhead, Ameer, Gregory all hid a LOT of problems. We have so little NFL talent on our team it's funny to think people actually blame Riley for 100% of the problems right now. What do all the top teams have? Top NFL-caliber athletes. I'm not worried, give the guy more than 8 games. The former coach had 94 games and brought no conference championships home. Yes it sucks losing and I hate losing more than I like winning, but brighter days are ahead.

I still support Riley. I'm of the opinion you have to give a guy at least a Year 1 to Year 2 transition to figure out how the dance is going to go. Especially since the true indicator of how this might work won't be on campus till January.

Hey JFlores? Are you still going to be on the Riley bandwagon next year when he still produces the same results. This is who he is. We needed a coach to take us to the next level. We got a coach who is going to blow us off the map. Its great to be optimistic and we all love Nebraska football, but please be realistic. It was a mistake to hire Mike.

May, I ask why this would be a bad move? I was hoping that with improved athletes and facilities that this would not be the end result. There are going to growing pains bringing in a new coaching staff, but Wisconsin has seemed to handle that transition better than we have.

May, I ask why this would be a bad move? I was hoping that with improved athletes and facilities that this would not be the end result. There are going to growing pains bringing in a new coaching staff, but Wisconsin has seemed to handle that transition better than we have.

Because you pay a price for every coaching transition. Money. Personnel. Fan Support. You don't do it until you know you have to.

Because there's way too many examples of first year coaches sucking and then turning the corner.

There are not very many examples of third-year coaches sucking and then turning the corner.

Hey JFlores? Are you still going to be on the Riley bandwagon next year when he still produces the same results. This is who he is. We needed a coach to take us to the next level. We got a coach who is going to blow us off the map. Its great to be optimistic and we all love Nebraska football, but please be realistic. It was a mistake to hire Mike.
I agree optimism and realism are to different things. Hence one is based in fantasy one is based in reality.

I support Riley 100%. During the season, there's no reason to do anything different.

Ask me again when the season is over...

Because you pay a price for every coaching transition. Money. Personnel. Fan Support. You don't do it until you know you have to.

Because there's way too many examples of first year coaches sucking and then turning the corner.

There are not very many examples of third-year coaches sucking and then turning the corner.
I honestly don't know. Could someone give me an example where a year 1 coach replaced a winning record coach, had a losing record year 1, then won conference and or national championships there after?

I support Riley all the way.

Martinez (despite how inconsistent he was), Burkhead, Ameer, Gregory all hid a LOT of problems. We have so little NFL talent on our team it's funny to think people actually blame Riley for 100% of the problems right now. What do all the top teams have? Top NFL-caliber athletes. I'm not worried, give the guy more than 8 games. The former coach had 94 games and brought no conference championships home. Yes it sucks losing and I hate losing more than I like winning, but brighter days are ahead.

The teams we are losing to do not have NFL-caliber talent.

Why do so many people think it has to be either Bo or Riley? They have both proven to be mediocre head coaches so far. There are a plenty of talented up-and-coming coaches we should have at least tried to interview - Fuente, McElwain, Whittingham, Herman, Narduzzi, Frost - but for some inexplicable reason, our AD decided not to interview anybody except Mike Riley.

Nah, just lurking till the blohards start posting.

Can you think that Bo wasn't a good head coach and that Riley isn't a good head coach? Or, does one have to be good so that the other is bad? What about if you didn't think Solich or Callahan were good head coaches either?

Can you think that Bo wasn't a good head coach and that Riley isn't a good head coach? Or, does one have to be good so that the other is bad? What about if you didn't think Solich or Callahan were good head coaches either?

I'm sure one can, that's not the high majority of this board though.

I admit this season has not gone as I had hoped, but Riley coaches my favorite team & I ain't bailing on the guy. I'm frustrated, but I ain't bailing.

I agree optimism and realism are to different things. Hence one is based in fantasy one is based in reality.

Its hard to have a reality that hasn't happened yet.

If we're going to be "performance" or "data" driven, then lets have actual performance data in Year 2 to make the assessment.

Let's not hyperventilate and substitute fan nightmare fantasy for reality.

I think most new coaches need 2-3 years to have a realistic assessment of their skills. As Benning has pointed out numerous times, we could well be a better team next year, and not necessarily have a great record. Supposing we finish 3-9 or 5-7 this year, obviously next year he's going to have to show improvement by going to a bowl, continuing to recruit, and see some lights go on at various positions.

If he has two years and the secondary looks clueless and we've won a total of 10 games, I don't think too many folks in the administration would be on the bandwagon. Husker fans will vote with their wallets and that will force the issue.

I'm not wedded to Riley in any sense. But I'm also not wedded to the idea that we just bring in new coaches and new schemes every year until a 10 win team shows its head. That's an ever bigger lottery than just having a guy have a chance to develop something.

I think most new coaches need 2-3 years to have a realistic assessment of their skills. As Benning has pointed out numerous times, we could well be a better team next year, and not necessarily have a great record. Supposing we finish 3-9 or 5-7 this year, obviously next year he's going to have to show improvement by going to a bowl, continuing to recruit, and see some lights go on at various positions.

If he has two years and the secondary looks clueless and we've won a total of 10 games, I don't think too many folks in the administration would be on the bandwagon. Husker fans will vote with their wallets and that will force the issue.

I'm not wedded to Riley in any sense. But I'm also not wedded to the idea that we just bring in new coaches and new schemes every year until a 10 win team shows its head. That's an ever bigger lottery than just having a guy have a chance to develop something.

This is why jflores is one of the best on this board.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha

This goes back to how spoiled our fan base has become.

Reactions: Archie Graham
This goes back to how spoiled our fan base has become.

SPOILED????? What has been the best Nebraska team in the past 18 years. 2001? 2009? There has not been a lot of good football put out on the field by the Huskers since 1997.

He is not a first year head coach. Money, Personnel and fan support really? I pretty sure not many players are going to leave, because they fire Reilly or fan support is not going to falter. I think this is about as low as it was during other tenures here at Nebraska. Money has never been a big issue at Nebraska, now it doesn't have the war chest like some BIG schools, but this program is the life blood of this athletic department. Other schools have multiple sports they can draw revenue from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT