ADVERTISEMENT

Not another “My Take” Post

...TrueColors...

Nebraska Legend
Jan 22, 2009
Im just as angry and gutted as anyone here gentlemen. This one stings and we had no business losing this one. After all of the anger had subsided and objectivity returned I found myself rewatching this one. I wanna dive in and get right to the points here so let’s do that:

I want to talk about the 3rd quarter almost exclusively. A few things I saw and it’s not pretty for Adrian.

3rd Quarter:

I wanna start really looking at us offensively in this portion. Here in this version of the game it starts at 11:11.

2AM JUST misses Mo’s outstretched arms. So what’s the problem? They don’t show much of the presnap formation in that clip. But that is a high/low read on the player in the flat. As soon as Adrian saw him turn to run with Mo, the read should have been to Stoll who’s route was right into the open space freshly vacated by the player in the flat. May seem small, but that would have probably gotten to the sticks for our second first down in a row and we are still in a rhythm and in business making Adrain a perfect 10/10. Instead Adrian tried to make the harder of the two throws. We later punt on that drive.

The defense does exactly what it needs to on Colorado’s drive and the offense gets the ball back.

Next one of our drives we run up the middle for 5, throw an incompletion to Wandale on a slice concept to bring up 3rd down.

13:50 in this video. 2AM thinks he’s got to get the ball to Stoll because he missed his last chance to do so. An adjustment by Colorado here as the player in the flat doesn’t chase the corner or the vertical and he sits and sticks Stoll for an incompletion. Very easily could have been a pick. Protection was holding. I’m going to assume here if 2AM sees what he sees he’s got one outlet and it’s the delayed route by Mo out of the backfield. Would you look at that at 13:53? If he hits Mo he gets to the sticks and has one man to beat to make an explosive play. That’s also not a tough throw to make.

Adrian predetermined where he was throwing that ball before he even got the snap.

We Punt. Defense gets us the ball back.

15:28 of this video

2nd and 5. This is an RPO with the read being the outside linebacker. Outside linebacker sits on Adrian. He still keeps. Look at Wandale at the sticks. Could Adrian maybe not have had a clear line to get him the ball? Maybe. Would like to know because Wandale appears to be open for a first down. However, 2AM in my opinion made the wrong read here as the OLB sat so he should have given the ball to the back. 2AM then holds the ball and runs out of bounds for a loss of a couple bringing up 3rd and 7 instead of 3rd and maybe 2 or 3 had he given to the back. Or a first down had he been able to get it to Wandale. This was the last possession of the 3rd quarter.

The 3rd quarter is where we had every opportunity to put this game away. We left a multitude of plays on the field. Did Colorado stop us once because Mel Tucker just out-schemed Scott Frost and beat him? I would say no. I think right now we have a sophomore QB who’s feeling the pressure of high expectations that he’s trying way too hard to live up to. If he just relaxes, plays within himself, and takes the throws the defense gave him in the 3rd quarter he’s probably wearing a headset in the 4th.

Our defense played really well. They didn’t give up a point until 1:45 in the 3rd and gave our offense three chances to extend the lead to 3 scores. Eventually, players like Montez were gonna make some plays. The defense more than did their part here. It’s fair to point to the missed tackles in the 4th. But in the big picture they more than played well enough to win this game.

Our OL:

We’re not gonna be incredible up front this year and there are some inexcusable mistakes that happened up there against CU. However, this OL can win us 8 games. We really need an influx of talent here. The good news is that it looks like we’re getting in the habit of signing a kid like Benhart once a class and we’ll be able to add another for 2021.

I suppose you can now do your worst as you rip apart my hawt take. I would say that I don’t think we’re as bad as we think and I think our offense will get rolling here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News