ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Fant to announce his commitment on 1620

Is he a must-get for the Huskers? I mean, of course you want to keep local talent, but I don't know enough about him. If he goes elsewhere is that a big blow to the recruiting progress?

Is he a must-get for the Huskers? I mean, of course you want to keep local talent, but I don't know enough about him. If he goes elsewhere is that a big blow to the recruiting progress?

Maybe the recruitniks have a different opinion, but IMO no. According to that Portland article, the staff says we are at 13/22, do one of the last guys have to be Fant? Probably not, but he has pretty good measurables and is in state so I'd love to keep him.

He has some serious athletic ability. He hasn't put it all together on the field yet but he's a guy we'd want if he was from anywhere and whenever there's a player like that in Nebraska is extremely disappointing if they go elsewhere. Talented player at a position of need.

Suspect we have less than 50% chance on him, unfortunately.

Reactions: anon_d3tmyd9d5d1t1
is this guy really that important that he needs to have an announcement on a radio show? seems like a prima donna move to me.. just call the coach and commit

Maybe the recruitniks have a different opinion, but IMO no. According to that Portland article, the staff says we are at 13/22, do one of the last guys have to be Fant? Probably not, but he has pretty good measurables and is in state so I'd love to keep him.

I agree with your opinion of "no" in terms of Fant being a must-get. I don't know where he is going, but unless you have an axe to grind/love confrontation why would you announce it on a local radio show if you're going somewhere else (somebody beat me to the punch on this one).

How important is the 500-mile radius recruiting, and in this case a Nebraska kid. I think it's important, but not so important that every single kid "has to" come here.

The interesting thing I saw in the Portland article was the 13 current commits/22 total for the year. Maybe was just a mistake, but at the time we had 14 commits. Does the staff think we've lost a player (it's a pretty short list, in fact only one person comes to mind)? The other part is the 22 players total. People on here have been throwing around 25/26 players. I suppose we could oversign again. Regardless, we have 15 of 22. NONE are defensive tackles. We just had Southall visit. Maybe there's some others with interest in NU.

One would need to be a giant doucher to do something like that. And have some real animosity against the hometown school. JMO.
You're assuming a high school senior to be has the savvy to understand that nuance. I wouldn't bet on that personally.

These huge announcements are cringe-worthy. I'm sorry, but hat ceremonies, local radio show announcements, etc. don't interest me in the least. Especially for a 3-star guy.

Reactions: otismotis08
These huge announcements are cringe-worthy. I'm sorry, but hat ceremonies, local radio show announcements, etc. don't interest me in the least. Especially for a 3-star guy.

Its not that this kid is highly rated, but he has his own version of celebrity here in Nebraska. He's an in-state recruit with an offer to the Huskers, there are some folks from Omaha to Scottsbluff who are waiting with bated breath whether we can lock up every single in-state kid or not. For a kid that isn't Ahman Green, 1620 is probably about as high profile as its going to get.

Its not that this kid is highly rated, but he has his own version of celebrity here in Nebraska. He's an in-state recruit with an offer to the Huskers, there are some folks from Omaha to Scottsbluff who are waiting with baited breath whether we can lock up every single in-state kid or not. For a kid that isn't Ahman Green, 1620 is probably about as high profile as its going to get.
*bated

Yeah, guess you're right. Daishon Neal did the same thing. But I still think it's dumb.

Sorry, I don't see a 3-star undecided DE/TE as a make-or-break, must-get, whatever you want to call it.

I don't either. But remember that "must get" means many things to many people. In terms of football skills, maybe he's a 3 star with good potential. In terms of the political angle of "in-state" and "validating Riley's approach", some people I think put too much weight on what this kid chooses.

It's still dumb, especially if you aren't announcing NU.

Eh there are worse things. I listened to Josh and Michael talk about some dumb wedding dinner/protocol the other day on the drive home for work for 20 minutes.

Its pretty hard to keep 8 hours a day filled with prognostication on who the 3rd and 4th back ups are. I say let the kid have his moment, if he gets a few pats on the back from old dudes on the street or a couple high fives at school, cool.

Reactions: Red Law
I remember a story bout some hot shot kid who invited all the coaches who had been recruiting him to his high school gym where he was making his announcement. I remember each of them being quoted with the same basic thought...."why invite me, if you're picking another school"...which he did.

I find the whole recruiting thing gross anyway, and if Fant goes on this local show and say's he is going elsewhere, screw him.

is this guy really that important that he needs to have an announcement on a radio show? seems like a prima donna move to me.. just call the coach and commit

Sharp and Benning specifically requested if he could announce on their show (Nebraska or not). He's simply honoring their request, and it wasn't his plan. Chill out folks, he's no prima donna, humble kid from my observance, and remember it's HIS choice.

Sharp and Benning specifically requested if he could announce on their show (Nebraska or not). He's simply honoring their request, and it wasn't his plan. Chill out folks, he's no prima donna, humble kid from my observance, and remember it's HIS choice.
Benning would be against it, if he wasn't one of "his" guys.

Normally I would agree with you but he has the athleticism Neb needs and we have desperate need for DEs. I think he ends up at #vandy

Normally I would agree with you but he has the athleticism Neb needs and we have desperate need for DEs. I think he ends up at #vandy

Listening to the morning show it did not sound like Fant was too high on Vandy. Benning was worried his decision came so soon after his West Coast trip. So I would say either NU or UCLA.

I hope we get him. TE or DE is a position in need, and TE is going to be a much bigger part of our passing offense going forward.

Not surprised that he was asked to do this and is. In this day in age, let's not act like 99% of kids skip their signing ceremonies...give the kid some slack here (altho I will admit that he is setting himself for more scrutiny by doing it this way if he doesn't pick Nebraska).

GBR

He might be deciding so quickly after his trip because he thought "Dang, that is kind of far from home"

He might be deciding so quickly after his trip because he thought "Dang, that is kind of far from home"
Or... "damn, them silicone infested skanks are everywhere out there!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
It's their party; it only makes sense to ask him to announce and hope for a ratings bump. Recruiting is like breathing; you can't stop and you adjust and go forward after any hiccups. He will be a great get; if we miss, we will find someone simularly rated from another state to come. With our roster and player development, he would be silly not too come here, imo. Iowa may develop people like N, but most places you get washed out a lot faster if you don't make the top two teams.
As far as the current 22 ceiling; over the weekend I read things by people who had at least some access, saying to expect multiple transfers at semester by players who feel their future is not here; but maybe with Bo still. Happens, but the trend to me says we hit 25 and what we are allowed to do above or with that. The insinuation was a few are still Bo oriented; thinking he could read practice film better than these coaches.

It's their party; it only makes sense to ask him to announce and hope for a ratings bump. Recruiting is like breathing; you can't stop and you adjust and go forward after any hiccups. He will be a great get; if we miss, we will find someone simularly rated from another state to come. With our roster and player development, he would be silly not too come here, imo. Iowa may develop people like N, but most places you get washed out a lot faster if you don't make the top two teams.
As far as the current 22 ceiling; over the weekend I read things by people who had at least some access, saying to expect multiple transfers at semester by players who feel their future is not here; but maybe with Bo still. Happens, but the trend to me says we hit 25 and what we are allowed to do above or with that. The insinuation was a few are still Bo oriented; thinking he could read practice film better than these coaches.
He read practice film so well that his defense gave up more rushing yards in a game than any team in Division 1 history (10s of 1000s of games), on a simple off-tackle running play. If they believe what you state, hopefully they leave now to save the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great kid with a great head on his shoulders. He is torn between Cal or UCLA.
The good thing about going to one of those schools he will be able plenty of tickets with the stadium being half full. You can also be sure there are zero sport talk shows in California talking about either programs.

What?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT