ADVERTISEMENT

No one has mentioned the possibility, but what about a FG try?

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
If the coaches were going to run a basic play on 4th down, with limited potential to make yards, I wonder if the coaches considered trying a 45 yard FG that also could have iced the game.

I know we were against the wind with arguably a less than reliable kicker, but wouldn't it have been worth a shot to go up by 9 instead of just giving them the ball back up 6?

I think the coaches were concerned Brown would need to keep the kick low to drive through the wind and might risk a block.

The field goal unit was actually on the field but taken off. Why a passing play was called, I don't know. NU should have punted and tried to pin Illinois deep. The only thing I can think of is among the confusion, maybe the Nebraska sideline thought it was 3rd down instead of 4th down, that's why a play was ran instead of a field goal try or a punt. or a blocked kicked or punt might happen. At any rate, it's time to move on to Wisconsin.

Reactions: jeans15
Obvious major confusion (which is the only reason they RAN the ball on 4th down). Aren't the coaches aware that the clock stops on a change of possession?

These guys are "experts"? Experts in throwing a game maybe....WOW (I want Frank back).

GBR

I think the coaches were concerned Brown would need to keep the kick low to drive through the wind and might risk a block.

I would agree with this. I was at the game. He would have been kicking ~45 yards right into the wind. It was starting to drizzle at that point too.

I think going for it was the right call. I don't know what is the right 4th down play to call, but since the clock stops on turnover on downs I like a heave to the end zone. Then you hope for a TD or maybe even a cheap PI call. Heck a pick in the end zone would have been a net 7 yards for Nebraska.

I always assume the coaches know what the kickers max range is on that day on that end of the field. So no issue for me on not trying a field goal. Punting likely ends in a touch back and gets you 7 yards of field position...Not worth it. So I believe going for it was a good call. The play call was uninspired.....

I would agree with this. I was at the game. He would have been kicking ~45 yards right into the wind. It was starting to drizzle at that point too.

I think going for it was the right call. I don't know what is the right 4th down play to call, but since the clock stops on turnover on downs I like a heave to the end zone. Then you hope for a TD or maybe even a cheap PI call. Heck a pick in the end zone would have been a net 7 yards for Nebraska.
I was there as well and the wind was swirling at that end of field. Likely the reason N went for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT