ADVERTISEMENT

No disrespect to Iowa

newAD

Head Coach
Oct 14, 2007
Omaha
This is not sour grapes. You beat us. But you better be praying that PSU doesn't pull the upset today and knocks off Sparty.

Completely objective opinion, but the Hawkeyes do not match up well against OSU, especially in an indoor setting.

Reactions: 1711 Cardiff
I agree. OSU played today the way I thought they would all season. When they play well, they are still head and shoulders above the rest of the conference.

Reactions: 1711 Cardiff
Honestly I think Mich St, Ohio St or Mich are a few steps ahead of Iowa. THey would have a better shot against Mich. I think Ohio St destroys them by 2tds min. Mich st probably close to that as well. Both mich st and ohios st have better run d than us and minus 2 60 yard runs they had only like 30 yrds rushing.

This is not sour grapes. You beat us. But you better be praying that PSU doesn't pull the upset today and knocks off Sparty.

Completely objective opinion, but the Hawkeyes do not match up well against OSU, especially in an indoor setting.

I won't cut MSU just short yet either Conner Cook when healthy and can play is a very good QB.
That is the kind of QB Riley needs in the future.

Actually, I think most of us are Spartan fans today :) OSU looks like they got their act together

We almost always play well against MSU and struggle against tOSU so I would have to agree. I think we'd be about 50/50 or slightly better against MSU this year. Although I think our QB might do very well indoors if we do get tOSU.

OSU, still can't throw. When theyre on, they're the best not only in the conference, but the country. They may get in the playoffs without going to Indy! They would beat us!

Michigan please, would loved to play that 1 dimension offense. If they need 7 yards for a 1st, expect a 4 yard out. Check down Jake was alive and well today!

Sparty, I don't think they're better than us! I want to play them!

Reactions: Hawkeye King

I actually agree. Ohio State is so loaded that they would be a tough match up for anybody... We do not match up with them at all. I do think we match up very well with Michigan State and or Michigan. Michigan State does stop the run but so did Nebraska... I think we expose their secondary a lot like Nebraska did. On a even field, weather being a non factor...Iowa matches very well imo! Ohio State??? Check our record vrs Ohio State...not very good.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
OSU, still can't throw. When theyre on, they're the best not only in the conference, but the country. They may get in the playoffs without going to Indy! They would beat us!

Michigan please, would loved to play that 1 dimension offense. If they need 7 yards for a 1st, expect a 4 yard out. Check down Jake was alive and well today!

Sparty, I don't think they're better than us! I want to play them!

Agree that I think you'd beat Michigan. Sparty? If they run just well enough to make you respect it Burbridge could have a big game.

IF Iowa can not establish the run then Spartys DL could be scarry. If Iowa can establish the run, it will be a long day for Sparty.

If Cook plays like he played against Nebraska, bad day for Sparty.

MSU/Iowa I think would be the most competitive match up. Could see it going either way.

That's why you play the games.
Totally agree with the OP. Friday's game is behind us. We got whipped by superior coaching and error-free playing by the Hawks. End of that story. But you guys will give MSU a terrific game - OSU not even close. That's your best option, which of course, you have no control over. Either way, it will be playoffs or Rose Bowl. Not a bad deal either way.

Iowa will have to play well to beat Michigan State. It should be a decent game, because both teams are sound, but I still have to pick MSU by 7-10.

I t doesn't matter......both MSU and Ohio State will beat Iowa badly. MSU is the weaker of those 2 teams and has the better defense.

Either way, Iowa will get gang raped in the conference final. It will not be much of a game.

I t doesn't matter......both MSU and Ohio State will beat Iowa badly. MSU is the weaker of those 2 teams and has the better defense.

Either way, Iowa will get gang raped in the conference final. It will not be much of a game.

Why? Is Michigan State a totally different team than the squad that lost to you guys? When you look at common opponents between MSU and Iowa, Iowa actually performed better.

I think Iowa will give MSU a good game. I'd give it a 60/40 in favor of MSU but Iowa certainly has a decent chance, especially if Cook isn't right.

Does anyone matchup we'll with OSU when they are on?
It's the other team job not to let them be "on"! MSU has beat OSU 2 of the last 3 times when all the chips were on the table. OSU was undefeated going into the game both times. Sorry not going to bow down to them. A great team yes...but we (MSU) can matchup with them.

I don't think that anyone that watches football thinks this year's version of Iowa is anywhere near other T10 Iowa teams in terms of talent and lack of mistakes. Now I know we win the t.o. battle etc., but I'm talking about some fundamental defensive things.

Look, the run blocking of Iowa's line is really something to watch, but when the line is largely unheralded players and backups, one needs to only look at pass protect to see just how fragile it really is.

Having said this, they do just enough to win. Nebby's LB was undisciplined in certain areas, and the two long td's Friday were easy to call. So Iowa did exactly what they needed to do, and not much more.

Fortunately for us, no one looks really good this year, and it's been that way for the last several seasons. And fortunately for us, we can talk about recent T10 finishes in the modern BCS and CFP era, which we've managed to achieve with above average frequency.

Edit.

Friday we saw some defensive rotation and substitution that leads me to believe one of two things. We are more injured than many are aware of on the defensive side of the ball, or for whatever reason we've started to rotate again, something we haven't done much of the last 4-5 games. This has shown in total yardage of opposing teams. I'm not sure what's going on, but it is concerning. Also, or QB had arguably his worst outing of the season Friday.

We are extremely lucky to get out of Lincoln with a victory. I think most understand this. If we would have lost, it wouldn't have surprised me or shocked me, unlike last year's meltdown.

2nd Edit -

Iowa needs to win two more football games for myself personally to call this Iowa's best season ever. There's no way I could rank this team way up without a couple of big wins, which the next two ball games would be. We beat the name teams we should, which is to say Northwestern, Wisconsin and Pitt this year. I'd have to say Pitt was the most solid team to play us in terms of coaching and telent

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalObserver
Iowa can beat anybody this year. They are doing what they need to do to win and nothing more. Which is all it takes. I won't doubt them again this year no matter who they play. Iowa has scored 30+ points in 5 straight games and has been going for 400+ yards quite often this year. Had only been held under 300 yards 3 times this year. We were the 2nd lowest output they had. But they still found a way to win the game. Sometimes just having that knack for finding a way to win is better than being the best team on the field. I truly think Nebraska outplayed them much of the game. All 4 picks were pretty simple picks and Nebraska's biggest downfall was the mental part of the game (which is obviously more important than any other).

If MSU comes to play like they did against PSU, then I could be dead wrong and MSU will smother them.

MSU is the weaker of those 2 teams and has the better defense.

Clever analysts.....Sparty just beat Ohio St last week in Columbus.....and don't give me the "the best team doesn't always win" BS!

I like the way Iowa is playing and I think they have a great shot at Sparty.I was hoping they would get the dysfunctional defending national champs(The Bucks).These guys have been thinking way to much of themselves this year.Did a piss poor job putting in the work to keep the team on the same page week in and week out.

Please link me where I said we would soundly beat Iowa? Oh wait I never said that. You want to call me out about something I never said? I can make it really easy for you to go away.

I think Iowa has a good chance to upset MSU. It will be a very close game, either way

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT